223 headaches

condor bravo

HiBC
My 7/32 drill measures .216 and with very slight resistance will slip in a sized case that was measured at .214 ID. Accordingly, my .214 measurements are on the low side but can't tell how much.

higgite

From .222 to .210 seems like an awful lot of springback. Try measuring the thickness of the brass in the case neck, multiply by 2 and subtract that from the neck OD. It won't be exact, but it will give you an approximate neck ID to check against your other measurement.

condor bravo

OK, now we're getting somewhere. That little calculation works out to .221 ID, pretty much what you have been saying all along (.245--.024). So this part of the case can be closed but there hasn't been any feedback from the OP so we don't know if he has made any progress in the diagnose of his situation.

higgite

OP can do the same thing to see if his troublesome cases are getting properly neck sized. Hopefully he will give us some feedback.

m&p45acp10+1

Last time I ran into that problem it was from my sizing die not being down far enough. Try to see if you can stick a bullet into the case mouth after sizing them. If it goes in then it did not go far enough into the resizing die.

9mmSkeeter

Well, I did another 5 rounds before my expander button got stuck and fell into the empty case. I am using a RCBS sizing/decap die and that's because both my Lyman and lee dies broke their expander buttons or pins and RCBS is the only one with readily available replacement parts. So I've invested in 3 die sets (in 3 years) and replaced the expander button twice, now on time #3. I also did a bullet seat on the successful ones, no dice. 3 out of 5 dropped in even after doing most of the suggestions here. I'm tired of messing with it all.

I'm gonna sell my 223 dies and components and stick to handgun loads and 3006.

Last edited:

condor bravo

Don't give up yet. Do you have calipers? If so, follow the instructions in post #22. From a sized case, first measure the thickness of the case neck, let's say it is .012. Multiply that by 2 which of course is .024 and next measure the outside diameter of the neck, let's say that it is .247. Subtract .024 from .247 that yields .223 and that is the approximate diameter of the expander and should provide sufficient bullet hold.

Also measure the expander now that it has come loose to see how it compares to the calculation.

Last edited:

9mmSkeeter

Case got stuck (doesn't happen often but if there's not just the right amount of lube it can happen). I unstuck the case using my shell holder and upward stroke of the press but the expander button fell off into the case. The pin shook out but the expander is in there unless I can cut the brass open.

I have had bad luck with 223 since I started.

Any other caliber has been Smooth sailing.

Last edited:

Metal god

I would not give up , maybe walk away for a little while and come back with a fresh mind .

I do not have calipers. Lost them in my last move

when/if you come back to it , calipers would be a must to help trouble shoot your problem . I see you load 30-06 which is really no different then 223 just bigger . If you can load 30-06 with out issue then there is something going on with your 223 equipment . Take some time away from it and come back to it with calipers and a fresh look .

Marco Califo

I do not have calipers. Lost them in my last move
Calipers can be purchased as low as $3.99, https://www.harborfreight.com/catal...,f,EAFeatured+Weight,f,Sale+Rank,f&q=calipers
I have one like this from Midway
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/417494/hornady-digital-caliper-6-stainless-steel
I bought an identical one for less at HFT. Everything is the same including button placement and button colors. They are generic product; equipment makers slap on their label. But they are all made by "China".
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-digital-caliper-47256.html

Last edited: