.223 Barrel length, performance difference between 20" (508mm) and 21,65" (550mm)?

HAWKIN

Ok, you appear to be sincerely interested in where you went wrong so lets go one more round here. I'll call it as I see it here, yes, unquestionably, you do not understand the fundamentals of ballistics and, as a result, you are..indeed your thinking about ballistics is "fundamentally wrong." It takes time to write these out, so recognize that somebody is really trying to help you learn something at the Firing Line.

The issue you have to really consider in the AUG is the twist rate of the barrel. I mentioned it in my first response to you. The fact that selected "LE223T3 (62gr)" for "looong" range shooting told me and "TheManHimself" alot about who you were and what you did not know about what you thought you were doing.

If you really like your AUG and want to get the most out of it you will need to memorize the twist rate and, from now on, only use the right bullets for that twist rate. So having said that...what is you twist rate? Go ahead and look back at the first page. Right, your twist rate is 1:9. Remember that one thing and all this writing was worth it. 1:9

As "TheManHimself" put it....

"the 1:9" twist rate of the AUG barrel is going to prevent use of the heaviest bullets typically preferred for long range (>500m) shooting. 1:9" barrels will handle bullets up to 69gr well; you can try 75gr and 77gr bullets, which may stabilize out of your barrel and may not, and even if they do may not shoot accurately; 80gr and up bullets will not stabilize at all."

Your selected round? the "LE223T3 (62gr)". So, is that a heavy bullet? No, it is a very light bullet. Is it going to be good for long range work? No, it is too light and not stable enough at >500. Can your barrel stabilize a heavy bullet? No.

Can your barrel stabilize a heavy bullet? No. So then, given that, we begin:

"suppressor in CQC (indoors) is only helpful with subsonic ammo"

This is not true. Most operators that use a .223 and a suppressor do not use subsonic ammo. Key word "most". Most means in this case, a very great majority. A suppressor is not "only helpful subsonic ammo". The majority of suppressor are designed to be used with supersonic ammo. Some manufacturers will not warranty cans used with subsonic ammo. More on this later.

"subsonic ammo (heavy slow bullets) over penetrate"

Two things very wrong here. First, in .223 especially, subsonic ammo is unusual and, when it does work, it is not "heavy slow bullets" that make it work, but the powder charge reduction changes. Now, think about this, if it did depend on heavier bullets...what do we know about your twist rate? Does it handle heavy bullets well, let alone very heavy bullets? No. Would it make sense to use a suppressor on a 1:9 twist barrel with heavy subsonic bullets? No..What might happen is the unstabilized bullets might hit the cones/baffles and that is why many providers don’t want subsonic ammo used in some cans.

Second problem. No, slow heavy bullets do not over penetrate. Just the opposite, for the most part they do not penetrate, but rather, dissipate all their energy on target. This is especially the case with any subsonic ammo. By the way, what rounds are “naturally” closer to subsonic to begin with? Answer that and you will find the most popular rounds to suppress with a can.

"The shorter barrel is stiffer and more accurate"

It is neither. The length difference is too nominal to matter for stiffness here.
Lastly, do you really believe the longer barrel is less accurate? Of course you don’t.
What really matters about your barrel choice when it comes to accuracy? Right! Barrel twist and Bullet match!

"The influence on bullet speed was my interest"

Bullet speed? Do you really think that an extra inch is going to matter when the twist/bullet match is wrong? No, of course you don’t. You don’t mean bullet speed, you mean velocity and in the case of accuracy your issue is? 1:9

Now, the statement made by “Stubbicat”

“How far is "long range" for you? There are better choices for distance shooting than the bullpup, IMO.”

Bullpup are just as accurate as any other platform if?

Right! The right barrel, the right action, the right twist, the right bullet and the right marksman.

This bullpup rifle does 4” at 1,000 yards

http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/

Or, my own rifle in this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWC_G2

Do they look like your bullpup? No, they are not short/medium range weapons.

Where does this all leave you? Stop guessing, start studying. Read read read read read. 90% of forum thread work is marginal.
Read book on ballistics, subscribe to Precision Shooting (Lord, would you like that magazine and would it help!)

A question for you.

There are at least two issues in suppressing the noise signature of a bullet, one is accounted for (for the most part) with the can, what is that and what is the other issue? For the "other" one, who would need that "signature" issue dealt with and how would they accomplish the task?

Best

Last edited:

Para Bellum

Wow, HAWKIN!

..first of all thank's a lot for your time and thought. Really, I appreciate it. But we seem to have a tought discussion here because neither one believes a beep of what the other one says, so:

Ok, you appear to be sincerely interested in where you went wrong so lets go one more round here. I'll call it as I see it here, yes, unquestionably, you do not understand the fundamentals of ballistics and, as a result, you are..indeed your thinking about ballistics is "fundamentally wrong."
It's always interesting how much taller people are in anonymous www forums, isn't it?

It takes time to write these out, so recognize that somebody is really trying to help you learn something at the Firing Line.
I do. And I honestly thank you for your effort.

The issue you have to really consider in the AUG is the twist rate of the barrel. I mentioned it in my first response to you. The fact that selected "LE223T3 (62gr)" for "looong" range shooting told me and "TheManHimself" alot about who you were and what you did not know about what you thought you were doing.
There seems to be a misunderstanding. This 2nd private AUG of mine is meant to be a one-fits-all solution (check original post). It shall work from 2yds out to 500yds. That's why the scope magnification starts at 2x, and why it's a bullpup AUG .223 instead of a Steyr SSG-08 or TRG-42. And that's why I picked a heavier (or in your terms maybe "middleweight") cartdrige. If I were to stay within 200m I'd use the M193 anyway with 1in9 Twist. But the twist fits the LE223T3 and the 62grs are a good compromise for CQB and longer range shooting.

If you really like your AUG and want to get the most out of it you will need to memorize the twist rate and, from now on, only use the right bullets for that twist rate. So having said that...what is you twist rate?

You're so sweet, dude! Treat me like a kid in primary school and know nothing about me, my education and/or experience in armed service and as a civillian.

"the 1:9" twist rate of the AUG barrel is going to prevent use of the heaviest bullets typically preferred for long range (>500m) shooting. 1:9" barrels will handle bullets up to 69gr well; you can try 75gr and 77gr bullets, which may stabilize out of your barrel and may not, and even if they do may not shoot accurately; 80gr and up bullets will not stabilize at all."

Anything heavier than the LE223T3 (62gr) doesn't convince me at short ranges. I want more energy and more rapid terminal ballistics (M193 is my favourite).

Your selected round? the "LE223T3 (62gr)". So, is that a heavy bullet? No, it is a very light bullet. Is it going to be good for long range work? No, it is too light and not stable enough at >500. Can your barrel stabilize a heavy bullet? No.

So, a standard bullet for the .223 is the M193 with 55grain. I opt for 63 grain and you call that very light advocating 75 grain. 65 would be the arithmethic middle and 62 is very close to that, isn't it?

"suppressor in CQC (indoors) is only helpful with subsonic ammo"
This is not true. Most operators that use a .223 and a suppressor do not use subsonic ammo. Key word "most". Most means in this case, a very great majority. A suppressor is not "only helpful subsonic ammo". The majority of suppressor are designed to be used with supersonic ammo. Some manufacturers will not warranty cans used with subsonic ammo. More on this later.
It is true. What do you do with the supersonic blast? The .223 usualy travells with Mach 3. If you want it to be subsonic you need to castrate it down to less than 1082ft/sec (330m/sec) and with a 62gr bullet that is less energy and impulse than you get from any decent handgun (eg a 9x19mm etc).

"subsonic ammo (heavy slow bullets) over penetrate"
Two things very wrong here. First, in .223 especially, subsonic ammo is unusual and, when it does work, it is not "heavy slow bullets" that make it work, but the powder charge reduction changes.
Unusual because it's a Mach 3 cartridge wit a genereally very light bullet at banans speed. That's why in penetrates less than a 9x19mm out of a handgun when you use a M193 or other fragmenting or expanding bullet.

Now, think about this, if it did depend on heavier bullets...what do we know about your twist rate? Does it handle heavy bullets well, let alone very heavy bullets? No. Would it make sense to use a suppressor on a 1:9 twist barrel with heavy subsonic bullets? No..What might happen is the unstabilized bullets might hit the cones/baffles and that is why many providers don’t want subsonic ammo used in some cans.
The silencer's use in a .223 is only to make it hard in middle range or long range combat to localize the shooter. That's the only sensible application for a silencer or on a fast rifle with supersonic ammo. You hear the (supersonic) blast anyway, but don't know, where the gunman is.

Second problem. No, slow heavy bullets do not over penetrate. Just the opposite, for the most part they do not penetrate, but rather, dissipate all their energy on target.
There is no reasoning for this. Also, all my personal experience contradicts that. In civillian terms: Why are all the big game bullets slow and heavy and all the varmint bullets fast and light?
Test it yourself, or - for handguns - check this out:
http://www.winchester.com/lawenforcement/testing/testing.aspx
Click onto "Launch Test Comparison Tool" and then compare whatever you want. Scroll to the right because the window can't be maximised.

"The shorter barrel is stiffer and more accurate"
It is neither. The length difference is too nominal to matter for stiffness here.
Lastly, do you really believe the longer barrel is less accurate? Of course you don’t.
1. It is.
2. I do.
if you take the same barrel (same thickness etc, as in the question here) then the rule applies: Shorter = Stiffer = More Accurate. Ask benchresters, snipers or check it out yourself. Reason: Shorter barrel swings with higher frequency but lower amplitude. And the amplitude is what we want to avoid or keep small.

What really matters about your barrel choice when it comes to accuracy? Right! Barrel twist and Bullet match!
That also matters. But we speek of one and the same bullet in the same type and kind of barrel with the barrel lenght being the only variable.

"The influence on bullet speed was my interest"
Bullet speed? Do you really think that an extra inch is going to matter when the twist/bullet match is wrong? No, of course you don’t. You don’t mean bullet speed, you mean velocity and in the case of accuracy your issue is? 1:9
Velocity is latin for speed (Spanish: Velocidad; French: Vitesse; German: Geschwindigkeit). Same thing, dude! Bullet speed (or Vitesse) is a very crucial factor in terminal ballistics. That's why the US Forces have difficulties with the .223: They use way to short barrels in their M4s. If they used 20" barrels like the bullpub service rifles (FAMAS, AUG, SA80), the terminal ballistics of the .223 with M193 or S109 would outperfom e.g. the 7.62x52 NATO, just as the good old M16 with a 20" barrel did. The .223 needs a 20" barrel to develop it's potential. But the 14" barrel of the M-4 is way to short to provide for enough velocity for the M193 or SS109 to reliably jaw and fragment upon impact beyond a striking distance of 100m.

Now, the statement made by “Stubbicat”
“How far is "long range" for you? There are better choices for distance shooting than the bullpup, IMO.”
Bullpup are just as accurate as any other platform if?
Right! The right barrel, the right action, the right twist, the right bullet and the right marksman.
This bullpup rifle does 4” at 1,000 yards
http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/
Again: I am not planning to buy another sniper rifle and build that on an AUG as a basis. If I wanted another sniper rifle, I'd get a Steyr SSG99 PVI for short range 0-200m, a Steyr SSG-08 for medium range 200-900m, or a SAKO TRG-42 for long range 500-1200m:
index.php

index.php

sako_trg22-42_grn.jpg

Or, my own rifle in this one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWC_G2
Do they look like your bullpup? No, they are not short/medium range weapons.
1. Nice.
2. I know.
And I thing that the AWC G2 doesn't make a lot of sense. I wouldn't pick a bullpup platform for a round like the 7.62x51. But it's an interestin concept after all, a bit like the Porsche Chayenne. An offroader from Porsche....:D

Where does this all leave you? Stop guessing, start studying. Read read read read read. 90% of forum thread work is marginal.
Read book on ballistics, subscribe to Precision Shooting (Lord, would you like that magazine and would it help!)
Maybe it would help if you started reading. My initial post for example.
This was the heading:
223 Barrel length, performance difference between 20" (508mm) and 21,65" (550mm)?

This was the question:
I am getting a second Steyr AUG-Z which I will equip with a Swarowski Z6 2-12x50 with 4A-300 sight, without the illuminated dot however, to get finer crosshairs:
This combination should cover close and looong range shooting. Now, I can get the AUG with a 20" (508mm) or a 21,65" (550mm) barrel. I will use Federal LE223T3 (62gr) with it.
Which barrel would you get and why?

So, my dear HAWKIN!
Which barrel would you get and why?

Have a nice weekend, buddy.
PB