.223 Barrel length, performance difference between 20" (508mm) and 21,65" (550mm)?

Para Bellum

Hi Folks!

I am getting a second Steyr AUG-Z which I will equip with a Swarowski Z6 2-12x50 with 4A-300 sight, without the illuminated dot however, to get finder crosshairs:

1216368334_2.jpg

This combination should cover close and looong range shooting. Now, I can get the AUG with a 20" (508mm) or a 21,65" (550mm) barrel. I will use Federal LE223T3 (62gr) with it.

Which barrel would you get and why?

Thanks a lot,
PB

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Since you say long range shooting, and since the muzzle velocity will be a bit faster with the longer barrel, get the longer barrel.

Para Bellum

longer barrel for longer range

...that's what I assumed, but is there any data on that out there? How much would the difference be?

TheManHimself

Firing standard M855 62gr ball, a 14.5" M4 barrel loses about 250 fps vs. a 20" M16A4. That's 250 fps in 5.5" of barrel, which works out to about 45 FPS per inch. Now, velocity gain per inch of barrel is not linear; an 18" barreled Mk. 12 SPR only loses about 75 FPS over the M16A4. Actual velocity gain will depend on the ammunition used, but I would expect a difference of around 50 fps between the 20" and 21.65" AUG barrels.

Edit: as noted by Hawkin, the 1:9" twist rate of the AUG barrel is going to prevent use of the heaviest .224" bullets typically preferred for long range (>500m) shooting. 1:9" barrels will handle bullets up to 69gr well; you can try 75gr and 77gr bullets, which may stabilize out of your barrel and may not, and even if they do may not shoot accurately; 80gr and up bullets will not stabilize at all. If yours doesn't handle 77gr bullets adequately, 69gr Matchkings or 68gr Hornady bullets will probably be your best bet for long-ish range performance, although you'll need to know your wind absolutely, as these bullets have a lower BC and get blown around a lot more than 75gr+ match bullets.

Last edited:

HAWKIN

1:9 twist rate (228mm) with the Aug....check your bullet selection.

The issue is twist and bullet match, not barrel length with the Aug.
You have other issues too for looooong range shooting with this rifle.
Hope you don't like a crisp tight trigger or need to reach out accurately past 500 meters.

Edit: as noted by TheManHimself, and I am thankful for his response, this pretty much precludes long range shooting with this rifle. Having said that, you own one already. Stop, cease and desist, do not buy another AUG-Z, regardless of scope, reticle, etc. Wrong platform for long distance shooting. Your first AUG is more than enough AUG-Z's for a lifetime. Time for an accurate long range cartridge, barrel, rifle, scope. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

Go Kiwi

I would say about 50fps as well - probably within the range where having a slightly faster or slower barrel fitted to each rifle would be making more difference

And as above - AUG for longrange shooting:barf: there are ANY number of better choices out there. If you just have to have another then try the 75g Amax which will be your best bet if it will stabilise. But getting an accurate rifle with reasonable handling and a 7 twist would certainly be a better option:)

You are looking at some killer glass - buy a rifle to do it justice....

Para Bellum

Folks! "This combination should cover close and looong range shooting."

thank you so far folks!

As posted above:
This combination should cover close and looong range shooting.
It must be an AUG because I find it to be the best close quarer weapon at all. So the loooong range extra is only a plus, not the purpose. And by the way, an AUG-Z can do very very well at the range (and that's the only place where it's gonna be used in the real world hopfully) at 50m and a running target up to 300m on still targets.

AUG means "Armee Universal Gewehr" ie Army Universal Rifle. And that's what I want it to be, handy short (bullpup) and fast (20" barrel anyway) in an appartment or similar. And reaching pretty far (no more than 500m) outside. I don't mind the trigger at all. After shooting some 30.000 rds out of my glocks in the recent 4 years, I am very used and comfortable with that kind of funny triggers. I even beat my IPSC-Open buddies with their compensated red-dot sighted 9x19mm major handload race guns when we shoot precision at 70m with my Glock 26 (very underestimated extremely precise little beast, that). No bragging inteded, but I seem to have a natural talent for precision shooting. That's no achievement at all, just a gift I'm grateful for. So as long as the action an barrel will do their job, I'll take care of the trigger.

And I do have scoped higher caliber "long range" rifles anyway (7x57, 7x64). So what I really want is a great close quarter rifle with the best long range capability such a great close quarter rifle can offer. Please don't advocate AR15s. I want a short rifle with a 20" barrel in .223. Only a Famas would be an option...

HAWKIN

An Aug, in .223, with any barrel length, scoped with a 2x12x50 will have about as much usefulness in CQB as a fish finds using a toaster oven when attempting to build a kite. Find a small room somewhere that is legal for you to pull the trigger on a .223 bullpup and shoot just one round. With your AUG you will notice three things, first the complete inability to bring the scope into play on anything within 20 feet especially in any low light situation, second the astonishing loss of permanent hearing you just sustained and, thirdly , the desire to never do that ever again.

Styer themselves realized it had no purpose in CQB and, as a result, completely reworked the rifle to 9mm, with a new action, barrel and magazine configuration for...you got it.....CQB.

Letting a .223 loose in an apartment? See you on the 11:00 news. Abusus non tollit usum.

Last edited:

Para Bellum

HAWKIN

An Aug, in .223, with any barrel length, scoped with a 2x12x50 will have about as much usefulness in CQB as a fish finds using a toaster oven when attempting to build a kite. Find a small room somewhere that is legal for you to pull the trigger on a .223 bullpup and shoot just one round. With your AUG you will notice three things, first the complete inability to bring the scope into play on anything within 20 feet especially in any low light situation, second the astonishing loss of permanent hearing you just sustained and, thirdly , the desire to never do that ever again.

Styer themselves realized it had no purpose in CQB and, as a result, completely reworked the rifle to 9mm, with a new action, barrel and magazine configuration for...you got it.....CQB.

Letting a .223 loose in an apartment? See you on the 11:00 news. Abusus non tollit usum.

No offense intended, but that's all total nonsense.
The 9mm version was requested (and dropped) by a now dissolved branch of Austrian Police because they feared overpenetration of the .223 (due to lack of ballistic knowledge and M193 - which they use - fragmentation). They remaining police uses only .223 AUGs when raiding homes. For a lot of good reasons. Just as the US Coast Guard does. No better gun for raiding ships than a .223 AUG.

In a stress shooting situation, auditory exclusion prevents you from loss of hearing. Been there - done that. Thats why e.g. our SWAT enters homes without any hearing protections and .223 rifles (shifting away from shotguns).

I have run trough a lot of narrow rooms and around corners shooting AUGs indoor. Thats why I prefer it over any competitior. If not in danger however, you must use an earguard. Auditory exclusion only works under extreme stress in real combat, and not at all in training.

I can use a 2-12x50 RD Scope at 2x with boths Eyes open even within 2m distance. If you can't do that, practice more. And by the way, within 7m (20ft) I am faster only point-shooting over the scope. Try it, works well with some practice.

But, before we start getting unfriendly here, let's stick to the topic: The ballistic difference between a 508mm and a 550mm barrel. Thank you.

Para Bellum

Two more things

just for the sake of completeness:
1) I have been in the evening news before.
2) I might consider a MP7 (4,6x30) instead of an .223 in CQC but the .223 even makes my race against the 4,6x30 because it's better trough armor and, again on loooonger range...

over and out

bedlamite

But, before we start getting unfriendly here, let's stick to the topic: The ballistic difference between a 508mm and a 550mm barrel. Thank you.

The difference is insignificant. Ammo velocity will likely have a higher extreme spread than the difference in barrel length will give you. Get whichever one you like better.

HAWKIN

None taken, glad you spoke out. We are all trying to be helpful here and I am especially pleased that someone that uses an AUG responded.

The issue is not barrel length, that is pretty clear and that was/is the topic.
Twist is the issue and I was the first to speak out on that. The original concept was, and I'm paraphrasing "could I get better accuracy going from 508 to 550mm?" My response was correct, again paraphrasing, "Ahh, no, no not at all. In fact you have selected the wrong twist to stabilize .223 for shooting over great distances."

"feared overpenetration of the .223" - civilian in an apartment that has already described his prefered ammo (first thread) no understanding of ammo to twist match let alone fragmentation within the .223 family, optics, etc.

"Just as the US Coast Guard does. No better gun for raiding ships than a .223 AUG." - I can think of a few (6.8 MURG modified upper,HK416, FNH MK-17, 7.62x39 R, etc.), all under review at CG to throw out the .223 and all best suppressed. Now if you are of a mind that the Coast Guard prefers to board and tango with unsupressed weapons?

"In a stress shooting situation, auditory exclusion prevents you from loss of hearing" - Very much aware of tunnel hearing and am still surprised by those that still believe in it as a means for avoiding hearing loss.

"No, auditory exclusion is a psychological and not a physical effect. Whether hearing is damaged or not is a different mechanism altogether. Think of being in an auto accident where you quit hearing the radio and tunnel vision occurs. Since the mind "time shares" instead of actually "multi tasking" it dedicates all resources to surviving the perceived threat. It quits accepting input from those senses that aren't involved in preserving the animal. That's all auditory exclusion is, the mind no longer accepting inputs. The ear still receives any damage that might occur. The mind just refuses to "listen" to it.

There is a mechanism that kicks in to protect the inner ear from more sustained high noise. The aural reflex mechanisms work to protect the inner ear from loud noises, but they respond too slowly to protect from impulse damage like gunshots (100 to 150 milliseconds reaction vs microseconds for the noise pulse). The curvature of the ear drum is changed and the muscles attached to the bones that transmit the sound pressure to the inner ear tense up to reduce some of the sound, but too slowly to help shooters. These protective mechanisms can "fatigue" and have their own problems over time, but they don't help shooters because they don't react quickly enough to prevent the damage from occurring.

Most people don't notice the damage done by noise. The loss of hearing is more akin to a chipping away of small bits instead of hacking out large chunks. Since we don't notice the fractional loses we don't pay any attention to the overall loss (like having our rights chipped away little bit by little bit until we wake up to the reality) until it is obvious. It is the rare occurrence that a dramatic loss is experienced due to a single event or a very few such events. Those instances get discussed and some folks may think that because they don't experience anything dramatic they're not getting any damage. That's not what we see in occupational safety and industrial hygiene and not what the military sees. Damage occurs."

Everyone will have some interesting new choices coming out soon on that issue. I very much hope that you will use one of them each and every time you go.

As to the "it only works under stress" I guess these patriots just aren't as stressed as they need to be at the exact right moment.

http://www.asha.org/about/publications/leader-online/archives/2006/060321/060321g.htm

http://www.armedforces-int.com/news...n-iraq-afghanistan-suffering-hearing-loss.asp

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2008-08-03-troops-hearing_N.htm

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/72317.php

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003722259

http://rinf.com/alt-news/war-terrorism/study-1-in-4-soldiers-at-war-have-hearing-loss/4262/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23523729/

The articles are endless and legion.

"2-12x50 RD Scope at 2x with boths Eyes open even within 2m distance. If you can't do that, practice more" - No doubt. But this is a civillian in an apartment that maybe lives near a loved one that selected his scope for "finess of the reticle" for long range shooting. I can think of a few CQB scopes that might make more sense for an untrained person.

The AUG is a great early 1970's design that is still in use today. As far as the U.S., it is still purchased by U.S. Customs and Immigration. The 9mm you are refering to is the kit 9mm, Versions 1 through 3 were not the AUGs best work, but gen 4 (look for the "1" molded between mag catches) is considered a success. The full 9mm rifle is still in production and is still a widely accepted and purchased by police forces world wide.

Last edited:

LateNightFlight

No, auditory exclusion is a psychological and not a physical effect.

Excellent, HAWKIN. The adrenalin dump dilates pupils, increases cardiac inotrophy and chronotrophy, etc., etc., but the path through the ear canal to the tympanic membrane is a fixed design with no protective mechanisms against percussive events.

HAWKIN

Thank you, one down...6,717,647,265 to go :)
However...some percussive moderation through the flexation of the aural reflex (sustained low entropic impulse frequency events only).
“Of all the tall tales, I think my favorite is the one about Eli Whitney and the interchangeable parts.” Jack Handy

Last edited:

Para Bellum

Are there any tables or chrono data out there (.223 508mm or 550mm barrel)?

I can think of a few CQB scopes that might make more sense for an untrained person.
Sorry, but untrained person is not the topic here.

And for the hearing problem:

20050919155501.jpg

Peltor Sport-Tac or similar. Protects and imporves your stereo hearing at the same time. A supressor in CQC (indoors) is only helpful with subsonic ammo. And subsonic ammo (heavy, slow bullets) overpenetrate...

Accuracy was not my issue. The shorter barrel is stiffer and more accurate. The influence on bullet speed was my interest. Are there any tables or chrono data out there.

HAWKIN

"supressor in CQC (indoors) is only helpful with subsonic ammo"
"subsonic ammo (heavy slow bullets) overpenetrate"
"The shorter barrel is stiffer and more accurate"
"The influence on bullet speed was my interest"

I rest my case....

Last edited:

Para Bellum

Oh, HAWKIN

I rest my case....
:)
Thank you.

Now, seriously: I thank you for your input, discussion always widens my horizon and I can learn from almost everybody and everything.
But: Everything you quoted in your recent post is true.
You either must have a degree in klingon ballistics I don't understand or something's fundamentally wrong with all my knowledge, studies and personal experience. So please, if you have the time, what is wrong with:

"supressor in CQC (indoors) is only helpful with subsonic ammo"
"subsonic ammo (heavy slow bullets) overpenetrate"
"The shorter barrel is stiffer and more accurate"
"The influence on bullet speed was my interest"
?

Last edited: