.22 rimfire with pellets and nail gun blanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

skizzums

I guess I am not seeing the "danger" as long as you follow simple firearms safety. Can you explain the risks? I like the idea of driving a 22 bullet, since i have a ton of PC's 55 gr lead cast that I have found a use for yet. Can't wait til my day off tomorrow

Evan Thomas

Well, there's this, from post #11:

50 years ago I figured I would try Hilti nail gun loads with 22 cal air gun pellets for some home grown 22 mag loads. I took my marlin single shot 22 and loaded one up. Pulled the trigger and KA-BOOM. The breech split, the pin that holds the barrel in the breech sheeted off. The cartridge brass was blown back into the firing pin groove. Instant junk gun, trash can candidate!
I was very lucky that I did not get seriously injured.

jmorris

I didn't have a white coat on, in a clean room, when I did my testing but I was in no greater risk than when I test fired the 50 BMG I built.

Will also point out that is says on the box NOT to use these in firearms, so that is fair warning.

The firearm I used was a break open single shot, I wouldn't have used any other actions myself.

I also wouldn't use projectiles with more bore friction (very little of the pellet is actually in contact with the rifling) or more weight as both would cause higher pressures.

Don't have any use for them myself, just thought it was interesting.

Sevens

Skizzums, the risk should be quite easy for you to see -- you're a handloader! :confused::D

That blank round you're stuffing behind a bullet is the primer and propellant charge. Just because it "fits" in the chamber doesn't mean it's correct. You know that .22LR has a SAAMI maximum pressure and every .22LR chambered firearm running around in the USA is specifically spec'd to run within that industry standard.

However, when you stuff a nail gun blank in it, you are willfully stuffing an unknown primer/powder type/powder charge in to a firearm that is built only to cover/provide for SAAMI spec.

It's already "unsafe" just simply placing it in the chamber & lighting it off. It becomes more safe with every tenth of a grain of weight/resistance you place in front of it.

It's no different than you letting some non-gun person randomly pick a powder from your cache, randomly dump some unknown quantity of a powder in to a piece of primed brass, and then you topping it off with a bullet that is 35% of the weight of that normal round.

Why there's a risk here should be obvious to anyone that handloads.

Snyper

If Elmer Keith felt exactly the same way you do or he were the type to subscribe to it, the .44 Magnum wouldn't exist.

So your feelings are duly noted-- perhaps a different thread would meet your approval.

Keith was putting a little more powder in a proven design

That has nothing at all to do with the practice of the OP

Your defense of it doesn't make it less stupid, and neither do the childish insults

JohnKSa

Administrator
Seven said:
Why there's a risk here should be obvious to anyone that handloads.
And for those who don't, the rest of the explanations you and others have provided should be sufficiently illuminating.

Please, folks, be careful out there.

http://training.nra.org/nra-gun-safety-rules.aspx

Use only the correct ammunition for your gun.
Only BBs, pellets, cartridges or shells designed for a particular gun can be fired safely in that gun. Most guns have the ammunition type stamped on the barrel. Ammunition can be identified by information printed on the box and sometimes stamped on the cartridge. Do not shoot the gun unless you know you have the proper ammunition.​

Status
Not open for further replies.