.22 Revolver for the Wife

TunnelRat

First off thanks to everyone for all the tips, it's been very helpful.

In looking around, and bringing her with me to a number of gun shops, I think she'd probably like the Ruger Single Six. We tried the Bearcat but she likes the Single Six better. I think it also appeals to her because she's into horseback riding and it has that whole cowboy motif.

I wish I could find a used once around where i Live. I can always save up for later.

glenncal1

I have to report that the S&W's are not as tough as they are reported to be. This K-22 outdoorsman has been in my family since it was new in around 1936. It has been carried, fired, travelled with, and the first handgun to shoot for me and the rest of my family and several family friends. Well recently we were getting some FTFs from the gun (33%). I had to replace the mainspring, took 10 minutes and cost around $11. 75 years old and I had to replace a small part what a pile of junk :D

K-22Outdoorsman1.jpg

P.S. It will still shoot 1-2" groups at 25 yards. (Yes I need to do it from a rest for that kind of accuracy) :cool:

BarkSlayer

Can't go wrong with a Smith Model 63. In fact, that could be my next one. I have a 617 that's great as well, but I'd like to have a .22 long on the J-frame...just because.

aarondhgraham

Don't forget the S&W Model 34,,,

The Model 34 is a small J-frame revolver chambered in .22 LR,,,
It is the exact same gun as the S&W Model 63,,,
The 34 is either Blue or Nickel,,,
The 63 is stainless steel.

Both came in snub-nose and 4" barrel versions.

For used S&W revolvers in the medium K-frame,,,
Model 17 Masterpiece usually came in a 6" barrel,,,
Model 18 Combat Masterpiece usually came in a 4" barrel.

Of the four, I recommend a Model 18 Combat Masterpiece,,,
My personal opinion is that it is the finest .22 revolver ever made.

Aarond

Last edited:

Smaug

Ruger is re-releasing the SP-101 in 22LR. 4" barrel, 8-shot, adjustable sights, fiber optic front sight. That last bit is the only part that ruins it for me.

It's not on their site yet.

This would be a good option if you can't find a nice used S&W at a better price.

Apparently, there was a write-up of it in the July Guns and Ammo.

Doc TH

A Ruger single-six is a good beginiing for target parctice, plimking, etc. It also provides for use of 22 mag which is a step up in terms of velocity and energy. However, bear in mind that a decent used K-frame S&W may be just as easy for her to shoot if you start with wadcutter ammo. she might later progress to higher powered 38 spc or even 38 spcl + P ammo.

Hammer It

My problem is all the .22 revolvers I seem to be able to find are like $500 at local gun shops around me. While I want her to be able to go shooting with me, it's hard to swallow paying that for a .22 when I could get some nice .38 or even .357 for that price.

Do people know of any reasonably priced .22 revolvers for a beginner and where I might be able to acquire them if they are online?

Hello Tunnel Rat

The money spent on a Good .22 revolver will far Less exceed what you spend on ammo for a Center fire revolver in the long run. That said, a S&W K-22 can not be beat for accuracy or return on your investment should you decide to sell or trade it some day. They are highly desireable and rightly so as D.B. Wesson got it right way back in 1931 and little has changed with the K-22s built since. I prefer "the older ones" that were hand made and hand assembled. They are smoother and the fit & finish is far superior than anything out there offered today or after they started stamping them with the Model number 17 being Post-1957 time span. Due to their high durability and rugged medium sized frame they will far out last any other .22 revolver made. If it were me and I was buying a gun for my Wife, I would put nothing Less in her hand than a S&W K-22... Here are some examples of days gone by and Yes, they all get shot & enjoyed by me....;) Hammer it

ttiwwop.gif

December, 1936 First variation called The Outdoorsman K-22 Made from 1931-1939

K-22_Outdoorsman_3.jpg

Third Variation Early Post-War K-22 Target Masterpiece Made in November 1947

Picture029.jpg

1956 Four screw variation Pre-17 Made June 1956 the Last of the Pre-17s before they Model stamped them the Model 17 which started in 1957 time span

1956SWK-22Boxpaperworkandtools005.jpg

Teuthis

There is something to be said for the Ruger Single Six or Single Ten as a good self defense pistol. It will be easy to fire, the cocking for each shot will help in contol. The trigger is light and smooth. The firearms point naturally and they are accurate. The grip size will fit a smaller hand easily. The Single Ten will give her more rounds.