.22 pistol recomendations?

T191032

I can understand that. I did that years back, picking up a Ruger Mk II 22/45 4" as a less expensive gun to shoot vs the volume of 9mm I was shooting at the time; and more gainfully employed, I might add (able to afford blowing 100-200 rounds of 9mm a session).

A good deal of folks like the revolver for its relaxing qualities (as I've seen mentioned on another board).

The semi-auto .22 keeps your 9mm/.45 semi-auto cross-over basics covered pretty well.

Hi-capacity, low reloading? Most semis are 10-shot, while the revolvers work 6, 9 or 10 shots (all depending on model) for the most part. Want "less reloading" time with a semi-auto? Its called extra magazines, pre-loaded at home before you go to the range. ;) There's a little do-hicky called a "cliploader" that can help "speed load" .22 magazines as well. With revolvers, on the DA swingouts, you can find a speedloader still (HKS, I think offers them), but a Single-action revolver is a slow-load, slow-unload deal. But a hoot to shoot.

Reliability and accuracy. That's two things we all like in our firearms. ;)

Specific firearms suggestions? Ruger Mk II if you can find it, Mk III otherwise in the semi-automatics (I haven't owned any other .22 semi-auto pistols to offer advise, so I won't bash or praise any except a old Colt Woodsman I held once). Revolvers? Ruger's Single-Six gets a lot of high marks, but the Heritage Rough Riders are less expensive. Never owned either, but have held/shot a Ruger or two.

Good luck, and enjoy what you end up with.

10Ringmagic

Hard to beat a good Ruger for a .22, they are well made, accurate firearms.

Either their semiautomatic pistols, or revolvers, you can't go wrong with one IMHO.

rodfac

If you've already got a .45 and a 9mm, I'd go with one of the .22 LR conversion units. Here in our family we've used 3 different Cieners, a Colt 22 LR Ace for the 1911, and a Marvel, all are mounted on Colt 1911's and one Remington-Rand WWll .45 ACP.

The Ciener and Marvel units are machined aluminum, with steel barrels, springs etc. The Colt is all steel.

One peculiarity of these conversion units is that they do not lock the slide back after the last cartridge has been fired...something to be considered if you use them for tactical training exercises. (They're use has got me counting shots as I practice...a good outcome in my estimation.)

Ciener...a great unit and every bit as accurate as my S&W M-41...no kidding. This unit uses fixed sights and if I had to do it again, I'd spend the bucks for one of the adj. models. They're used on 1911 Colt frames. (We've got five Gov'ts and two of the shorter Commander's.) Ciener also makes conversion units for other auto pistols...but I don't know if they're as accurate. Ciener makes a well made unit that's held up to thousands of .22's. They use a Ciener designed proprietary magazine...get two...Accuracy?...down around an inch at 25 yds. and with almost any .22 LR ammunition. Ciener says to use .22 Hi-Speed's but I haven't found that to be necessary...jams?...one in 200-300 shots...mostly due to lack of my cleaning regimen.

Colt Ace .22 LR unit. Will only work on the 5" barrel Gov't Model, not on the Commander. The sights are adj. same as the Gold Cup's. Not as accurate as the Ciener or Marvel units. It has a unique "sliding chamber" to get enough momentum to operate the slide...and is a royal PITA to keep operating. Too this unit is very expensive if you can find one now. It uses Colt .22 LR magazines specifically built for the 1911. Accuracy?...2-3" at 25 yds., sometimes less if I hand pick the ammunition it likes best. Jams? A couple in a 50 round count box...hard to keep that sliding chamber clean!

Marvel...Maybe the best of the three. Locks to the frame with a unique hex shaped under slide bolt that gives it superb accuracy. Uses Colt's .22 LR magazines. Good adj. sights. Usable on both the 1911 Gov't and Commander length frames. More expensive than the Ciener and I can't say that it's worth the extra money. Accuracy?...a hair better than the Ciener...down around an inch at 25 yds. Jams?...about the same as a Ciener...too infrequent to be noticeable, really.

If the auto conversion unit option is not to your liking, and you limit yourself to $500 tops, I'd look for a good used revolver...Smith or Ruger. Both are American Made and the companies can and will do warranty work on them, even if bought used. I like Ruger's Single Six Convertible (also shoots .22 Magnums) which I've found to be almost as accurate as the above mentioned S&W M-41.. the Smith is my standard for a really accurate pistol...scoped, this pistol will easily break clay birds at 100 yds off a rest. The heavy hammer fall of the Ruger however does limit accuracy to some extent, but it'll still do less than 2" at 25 yds. with selected ammunition and is a great understudy for my large bore Colts and Rugers.

Best of luck in your quest, Rodfac

aarondhgraham

Allow me to copy and paste again.

These are the 5 most common .22 pistols out there.

Browning Buckmark = Great pistol but I found the grip to be funky.
Ruger 22/45 Mk II or MK III = Great pistol with a 1911-ish grip
Ruger Mk II or MK III = Great pistol with a luger-ish grip.
Beretta NEOS = Great pistol with a very slender grip.
S&W 22A = Great pistol with a very fat grip.

Any of these will serve you very well,,,
They are all reliable firearms that aren't ammo picky.

Then there are the high-end models,,,
CZ-75B Kadet - With the exception of the Kadet having adjustable rear sights, it is virtually identical to the CZ-75B in 9mm.
Sig-Sauer Classic .22 - There are 3 models in different calibers. They start as a full frame .22 semi-auto that are convertible to their centerfire counterpart.
Beretta 87 - The .22 counterpart to the Beretta 84/85 in .380 ACP.

I own the Beretta NEOS, the Ruger 22/45, and the CZ-75B Kadet,,,
All reliable shooters that aren't ammo picky (for me) at all.

Aarond

handgunchick

Plinking fun

I know exactly what you mean about the ammo getting too expensive, and I shoot a 9mm, the 2nd cheapest caliber of ammo. For that very reason I decided to get a plinker, as well. I got one 2 days ago, a new Ruger 10 .22
Charger pistol. New because plinkers tend to be shot to death because of the cheap ammo if they're used, Ruger because I really love the accuracy and reliability of the brand, and a pistol because I prefer pistols over rifles. They sell for around $325 to $350 new.

It's really weird looking, though. It's got an odd looking grip, a stupid bipod, and it doesn't come with sights. I did buy a 25 round banana clip that makes it look really silly! I think I will change the stock on it eventually.

m_liebst

correction on ruger accuracy

I do 5 shots under an inch at 30 yards with my ruger 22/45 5.5 inch with fiocchi. Maybe i just have a well made one, but damn thats impressive. Better than any other caliber and firearm i've evr shot. Don't know why others are talking 2 inches!!!:confused: hurray for your 1000 dollar plus s & w 41 and bank breaking scope. Mine 350.00 with nc star 40 dollar scope goes farther for the money and is less finicky about what i put through it. (I'll bet you have more likely a chance getting duds with softer firing pin too.) This is why we practice. sorry but what are you going to do with the 100 yard clay shot. It's more unlikely you'll get a steady shot at varmint passed 30 yards. waste of a clay pigeon if you ask me. Ruger is more accurate then you can credit, though i have to admit the 41 is a nice gun. now if i hadn't spend all my savings on saturday night drinking!:p take a looke at youtube and you'll see people hitting plates and clays from 200 yards. just goes to show, majority of accuracy is by the shooter.;)

spacecoast

I have been shooting outdoor bullseye for a few months with my Ruger Mark II and thought I was doing pretty well, and gradually getting better. Then I bought a S&W K22 revolver (a Model 17-5) and shot my BE highest score ever with it not having shot it even once (not even a practice shot). It took me a couple of shots at 50 yards to figure out where the sights were aimed and was pure joy after that. Smooth consistent trigger for DA timed and rapid fire, negligible recoil, and no worries about misfires. I'm sold.