.22 LR recommendations

Jody Hudson

Nice to hear the great report on the Walther. It seems that Walther and most of the other pistol manufacturers have spotty quality control these days; no quarantee that two sequential serial numbers will give similar results.

And, then, there is the difference between shooters which defies my ability to find out why... two shooters, side by side can shoot differently with the same pistols -- one shooting one well and the other poorly, and vice versa.

For instance, I can blitz my son every day with my Makarovs, every time. He shoots his Kahr so accurately that he can even shoot it against me with my target .22 pistol. I can't hit well with it at all. We both shoot TPHs well compared to others. We shoot equally well with our Glock 19s, BUT we shoot differently with some ammo in the Glocks?????? One ammo shoots well for him and terribly for me -- no matter which Glock is used by either of us. I shoot cheapo Walmart 9mm fmj Far, Far, better in either of the G19s than he does.... and on and on it goes.

I have a $100 PA-63 in 9x18 that I am able to shoot with similar accuracy of my Glock 19 and far better than I shot a super-duper custom Sig last week.

Jody Hudson

Although we can obtain a sort of trend analysis of different pistols here -- in the FINAL analysis, we just have to buy, shoot and try. Then sell and try again.

BrianB

Any opinions on the Hammereli Trailside?

The Hammereli Trailside goes for around four hundred, and is suppposed to be exceptionally accurate. Has anyone seen one ot these?

I like the Browning Buckmark, but I keep hearing about their durability. I like the durability of the Rugers but don't like how they handle. The Hammereli looks like a good option, but I'm curious if it's as good at it looks.

Here's a link to a review:

http://www.galleryofguns.com/ShootingTimes/Articles/DisplayArticles.asp?ID=297

NapAttack

BrianB, I've got a Trailside. 4" bbl, fixed sights, rubber grips. Only thing I didn't like about it was the grips. Every ergonomic bump on the grips was in the wrong place for me.

I haven't benched it for accuracy, I bought it for a plinker. It's digested everything I've fed it without any problems. Occasional light primer strike about every 200 rounds or so. I've put about 1500 rounds through it so far.

I consider the Trailside my "always" gun. It always goes to the range with me, whatever else I may take.

I also have the S&W model 46 ("cheaper" version of the 41) and it definitely has me spoiled. It's the 7" bbl with target grips. I'm thinking about a set of Herrett's Trainer grips and a field bbl for fun.

TheSniper

If you want something thats fun,reliable,a challenge and cheap get one of these. For about $160(.22lr)-$220(.22mag/.22lr combo) they are worth it. I like to shoot cans with mine starting from around 5yds and see how far I can push it. I can usually remain accurate with it well past 25yds. :D

Kar-el

Be warned, my P-22 has been less than reliable. Failures to cycle, failures to eject spent brass, failures to feed. When I coax it to shoot it's accurate enough for my shooting ability. I've tried the cleaning and lubing fix, still no go. I've put about 600 rounds through it (most of it racking the slide myself to get the dang thing to feed) and its getting worse not better. It goes back to S&W monday morning. I hope that I'm just unlucky and this is not indicative of the quality of Walther handgun, because I've read good things about them.

bismark

Your search should begin and end with the S&W Model 41. You will not find a more rewarding gun to shoot anywhere in the world, plus your kids will be alot happier to recieve it from you years down the road when it's worth twice what it is right now than if you bought some lame combat gun with a .22 conversion kit.