.22 LR recommendations

Oscar

Looking for a .22 to plink and target practice with. Great accuracy (but not a target only gun) is what I desire. Any opinions? Cost not too much of a concern. Thanks.

Oscar

DMK

If cost is not a concern, then do what I did:

Get a CZ-75 - $350

Get a Kadet .22LR slide kit with three mags - $250

That will give you a great .22LR pistol with adjustable sights and a great 9mm pistol on the same platform for those days when you want a bit more kick.

You can buy just the Kadet pistol for about the same price as the 9mm, but then there would be no way to convert it back to 9mm if you wished to do so down the road.

18.jpg

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's Oscar, and Other's-

I would like to offer my personal opinion on two .22 LR
caliber weapons, that most people over look.

The first one, is the now discontinued Smith & Wesson
model 18 with its 4" barrel. It is a six shot revolver, and
is available with target hammer and trigger; with the
adjustable sight's. I have put many rounds down range
with one of these jewels; and never experienced any
kind'a problem. Most of our member's probably would
recommend it's cousin, the 6" barrel model 17; but to
me that is going to classify it as a "target gun". The
new kid on the block is the stainless steel model 617.
If you can find a model 18 (offered in blued version
only) LNIB, the price will not be cheap. Expect to pay
a minimum of at least $450; and I've seen them NIB
for $599.

Secondly, another weapon that gets overlooked a lot
is Colt's Match Target Woodsman. A great shooter, right
out of the box; but you might classify it as a "target
auto-loader" cuz of the name and its adjustable sight's.
LNIB price on this baby won't be cheap either. I don't
know the current exchange rate; but I would bet its
going to be somewhere close to that of Smith & Wesson's
model 18. This is another weapon that I have extensive
experience with; having logged many a range hour with
it.

There are other's, that I will not go into at this time. In
my opinion, these are two of the best .22 LR caliber
weapons of all time. Expensive? Yes, but well worth
the asking price.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Christopher II

I like the Ruger MkII with adjustable sights for casual plinking. Either have the trigger worked over, or install a Volquarsten trigger kit.

Some folks really dig the Browning Buckmark. I've never cared for it myself, but give it a try anyhow. Get adjustable sights.

An old Woodsman or High Standard will give you buckets-full of enjoyment, but parts can be tough to find. You'll also pay more for a nice one. Repeat, make sure it has adjustable sights.

Get oodles of Federal or Winchester bulk ammo for plinking, and samples of every kind of ammo you can for accuracy testing. When you find a brand of .22LR ammo that is accurate and reliable, buy oodles of it, too. Same lot number, if possible.

Then, go out and become the bane of pop cans the world over...

- Chris

dawg23

Oscar:

DMK ALMOST gave you some excellent advice. It was good advice, just not EXCELLENT advice.

Get a Glock 19 and an Advantage Arms Conversion Kit (AACK). Then you'll have the best 9mm on the market AND pretty near match grade accuracy in the .22LR.

If $$ are an issue, the CZ and kit are OK. But if you really aren't as concerned with the $$, go ahead and get the best. :D :D :D

Jody Hudson

I have some FINE .22s and the Model 41 S&W spoils me for all the rest.

My plan is to follow dawg23's advice this week however... I will order the Advantage for my Glock 19.

Another thought is to get your favorite .45 in 1911 style, and a Marvel conversion. http://www.marvelprecision.com/ then get some .45 SMC ammo as well as .45 ammo and you then have a fabulous TRIPLE gun that will handle ANYTHING.

DrStrangelove

My buddy...

...went with the Ruger 22/45 and couldn't be happier. Bought it for the same reason you are looking. Something to shoot more frequently for less $$$.

I'm thinking about the Walther P22-- actually, I would prefer the 22/45, but I really don't want to own the same 22 as my buddy. We shoot together enough that we could trade off with the two different guns for a little added fun.

The Walther P22 gets pretty good reviews, however, I think the Ruger 22/45 (speaking window of efficiency here) is the better piece.

Brad

DanP

Since you are not pinching pennies on this one, how about a nice Beretta 87 Target?

I'm thrilled with mine.

(Not thrilled with the focus on this pic though)

Attachments

• 87target.jpg
    87target.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 109

GunGeek

Ruger Mart II is nice but I prefer the Browning Buckmark myself, just as accurate but the grips feel more like a real pistol to me.

DanP

Thanks Spiros, as obvious as it sounds now that you've told me I hadn't caught on to that.

The one thing I really dislike about this otherwise great digital camera is that there can be an unpredictably long delay between pressing the button and the shot actually happening.

Other than that my groups are great with it... ;)

Krate

Hey Jody,

I've shot about 550 rounds of Remmington Thunderbolt (Round Nose lubricated, 40gr, Hi-Power) and Brass-Jacketed Hollow Point (Golden Bullet, 36gr) my Walther P22 (5" barrel, not the 3") with what I would consider reasonable accuracy. At 25 yrds, my shot groups, at a rate of 2 rds per sec., were about 2" in diameter. I only had a few jams (mostly from not holding the pistol at a slight up angle).

I could see how a 3" barrel kit might induce the inaccuracy you experienced but I have found that, even at a 3 rds/sec firing rate, I shoot nice in tight groups against a human target.

I hold no illusions about its value as a match gun. Ha! I'd take my S&W 78G .22cal Air Pistol for matches. I don't care if it takes me a few mintues to complete the course. But for hosing paper and other targets with copieous amounts of lead for an hour or two, I have found no other .22 that gave me as much fun.

I have an uncle who owns a Ruger (don't ask what model... I don't know) that is far more accurate. However, its balance is off to me, it's heavier yet manages to kick more with the same box of ammunition (I suppose its light bolt is to blame), and its grip is, to say it nicely, uncomfortable to my hand. My S&W air pistol has grips and a weighs two pounds yet manages to be more comfortable. I suppose that's just preference. I found that, switching from my Walther to a Beretta 9mm to a Ranger Lite .45, one right after the other on the range, my accuracy suffered not in the least.

I've even packed the gun's clip with alternating round nose lead and brass jacketed HP and suffered no real difficulty in accuracy. Ofcourse, I drop my standards here since this set up is my self-defense load out. Trust me, there'll be no one shot-one kill crap. That's what my .308 rifle is for. If I'm using the Walther, they're getting all ten rounds to the chest. It's accuracy is good enough for that.

Blast

Rugers are probably best option. Although Phoenix Arms puts out a decent little number that comes with 3 and 5 inch interchangable barrels. It's cheap and not bad in quality.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Belay that Phoenix Arms recommendation, just tried mine:barf: :eek: :barf: Jams with long barrel, short barrel is okay. Go figure:eek:

Last edited: