22 ammo shortage ?

Sheriff Gotcha

Greguw said:
Wally world seems to be hit and miss finding ammo in my area , my buddies wife works at one near me so I have resorted to having her text me when ammo comes in ... LOL

I have a friend that's a manager at the Levittown Walmart. I think I may do the same. See if he can put a few boxes aside for me so I have a chance to actually get some.

BIGR

I started buying a few extra .22 shells back around 1994 and have a decent supply. I simply refuse to go into a frenzy and pay outrageous prices for ammo. I have scaled back my target shooting for time being and will resume it after things settle down.

Greguw

I just picked up 3 boxes of Federal 555 and it was 75 bucks yesterday . Looks like I'm going to have to start to reload .22lr at this rate ... LOL
Outside of the odd caliber there shelves were picked clean . I was amazed the 3 boxes were still there .
I was just on Gunbroker , there is the same ammo for double or more ... And people have bids on them .

Dakotan

I started buying a few extra .22 shells back around 1994 and have a decent supply. I simply refuse to go into a frenzy and pay outrageous prices for ammo. I have scaled back my target shooting for time being and will resume it after things settle down.

Same here.... God I'm old.;)

22-rimfire

Older folks remember.... next time, keep buying on a regular basis and you won't be too concerned about an ammo shortage that is short term (months). However, psychologically, the shortage does affect my desire to use up what I have and I have a good supply. I know I wouldn't be shooting at all if I only had a couple boxes of the calibers I shoot.

My rule of thumb is to buy 2x what I shoot. And I seldom made a trip to Walmart that I didn't buy at least some ammunition of some kind and I generally go weekly. Walk into a gun shop to look around... buy a box of ammo. It builds up.

SabrtoothBanana

Even though ammo is scarce, it doesn't seem THAT hard to find. I live in Southern California and ammo is picked clean off the shelves at large retailers like Bass Pro and such, but if you go to a local hole in the wall gun shop, they will simply tell you when the next shipment comes in. I just do that, and then pick out whatever I feel like shooting or stocking up on.

The other day, I got lucky and found a Rem Bucket O bullets at the local Big 5. Granted it was $80 for 1400 rounds and they don't even feed properly into my Savage 64. :eek: At this rate, I'll never run out of .22 LOL