22-250 or 223

rdjordan

eddy,

For what its worth - I asked the guys from the gun shop about the VTRs because I was thinking about getting one also. These guys all frowned at it saying they have had people bringing them back because they "just didn't shoot."

I asked them to recommend something to me and he picked the remington vls in 223, however I think the 22-250 seems better.

turv

22-250 or .223

Have you considered a 220 swift? Since I bought my win. mod 70 heavy varmiter in a 220 swift I only use my .223 for close range 200 or 225 yards. Or when I am packing the weapon a long ways, like hunting bobcats etc.
If you miss with the swift it's you not the gun... the 22-250 is very simular it is just a matter of choice.

youngoilguy

I WENT .223

i went with the .223 because of where i live and hunt. the .223 takes less powder, is a little cheaper from the factory ammo (slightly) but mostly ammo is easier to find than the .22-250.

a few other factors influenced my choice.
1. my buddies with 250's can only shoot 3-4 times before the barrel is super hot
2. i good friend's model 700 needed a new barrel after about 10 years (i plan on having mine for life) he did reload hot though. always pushed the limit and im sure this contributed
3. within 250 yards the poi is very very similar. once you go out 350-500 there is a substantial difference. in ne ohio, im hunting less than 200 yards. even still, i doubt i would shoot past that at varmints, im not likey to hit them at that distance because i dont practice that far (not many places to do that)

i have also heard less than good reviews about the vtr's. i went with the sps varmint. shoots great.

the choice is obviously yours. think of what game, distance, ammo avail. and how much you will be shooting.

good luck.

Kirbyman

It all depends on what you want to do.

I have a Paul Jeager 22-250. It is a real tack driver regardless of the load. I also have two black rifles (Bushmaster's). One is set up for varminting and the other is for tossing lead down range (M4). The M4 is light and eats everything I throw into it. It is pretty accurate. The A2 Bushmaster is super heavy with a SS bull barrel. It is finicky on what it likes to eat. (But that may be my rifle). The 22-250 is the most accurate rifle I own. Ammo is expensive so I reload my own. Even brass is more expensive for it as well. If you want decent furniture, try Kimber. I own several Kimber's and love them!

http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/rifles/84m/84m_select_grade/

If I had to choose only one, I'd go with the Bushmaster M4. It is light, has low recoil, accurate, fairly cheap to shoot, fun to shoot, looks cool and fits a wide range of shooters body shapes. (I like to introduce new shooters of all genders and ages to our hobby).

SEHunter

Honestly, either would probably do almost anything you asked of it. In situations like that, im one of those guys that end up picking the biggest, strongest, fastest.....i know. Its an illness:rolleyes:

mrawesome22

He never did say what he was going to use it for. My vote is for 500NE. I'll assume he's going to be hunting Sasquatch in the wild Yukon.

rgates

I've never regretted choosing my 22-250 over .223 or .220. You might also
look at the Savage rifles. Mine's a model 11. The year before the accu-trigger. At the time, my favorite gun store convinced me they are a very good quality rifle with the same features that cost considerably more in other brands. Some years later I definitely still believe them. The accu-trigger on the newer ones is sweet.
My son's favorite game with mine is shooting golf balls at 300 yds. and it'll do better (further) if I had a more powerfull scope on it.