20 gauge Stevens shotgun model mystery

stuckinthe60s

I know a lot of smiths that will take one close, and file it in. I will look around for you on that model number.
back in the day when customers could go into numeric arms and lay a part down on the counter, and the clerk would come out with a box full of them to match I could have helped you.
but now.....maybe you can send a pic of the guts opened up to them and they can do it via techno thingys. sometimes you can ask them to send 3 or 4 close matches. and send the rest back.
worth a try.
some of the early stevens 20ga's were known as the model 1913.
others you might try would be the
94c
940b
107b
good luck!

Last edited:

Bucksnort1

60s,

Great information. I'm wondering if I can attach a piece of round hard steel to the remaining portion of the firing pin by way of a JB Weld product. A good friend has a metal fabricating business. I'm sure the JB Weld won't work but it just might. I did a quick look on line for pins and found some that look like the piece I have.

Thanks again.

darkgael

A suggestion: I have not seen a picture of what you have. I did tour through what Numrich Arms as for the model94 and a number of others.
it would not be difficult to make a copy of the firing pin with a couple of files and a piece of drill rod.

Bill DeShivs

Forget the JB Weld.
Firing pin tips made of drill rod can sometimes be hard-soldered (silver brazed) into a hole on the original pin. The tip has to be fitted to the frame, and dry firing is strongly discouraged.

Bucksnort1

Bill DeShivs,

Your comment is interesting. Thank you for the information.

My friend, the one who does metal fabrication, will make a new firing pin tip to attach to the pin base. He asked me to measure the diameter of the remaining tip, which is 0.1195" (that's the best I can do with my dial caliper) then he asked me to measure the I.D. of the opening where the pin is inserted in the receiver to be sure the hardened high speed M2 tool steel rod he has will fit the opening with room to move. The diameter of the M2 is 0.116". I don't recall the I.D. of the opening.

This man does wonderful work. I've seen some of the beautiful gates, pergolas and ramadas he has designed and built.

stuckinthe60s

if hes a genious with metal, just have him make a whole new one. might be easier for him than to jimmy a fix.
its been done for generations. its a common thing to see a broken firing pin... in a smiths world.

Bucksnort1

Stuckinthe60s,

I thought about this. He does not have a lathe to form the firing pin but I guess he could make the rest of the piece.