20 gauge single shot questions

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
No hog expert here, but were I using any 20 on pugnacious porcine prey of ponderous poundage I'd stoke it with Rottweil Brenekkes.

Not buckshot.

As for the little singles in 20, they make wonderful shotguns for long carrying and occasional shooting.

12GaugeShuggoth

Very first deer I ever got was with a Stevens 94 (20 gauge single shot)...first duck too....wait, also first goose.........I could keep going on but the message would be the same. Still have the gun, still hunt deer with it, not planning on breaking that habit any time soon. #3 Buckshot out of the 20 gauge works just as well as any buckshot out of my 12 gauge but with a lot less recoil. That model 94 keeps a tighter pattern with buckshot than any other shotgun I've tried. :)

Toader

I personally swear by 20 gauges. the only reason i traded up was because thats what all my buddies shoot so when i run out of shell i can always borrow some of theirs. I have personally taken ducks and geese out to 80 yards with no problem. when they hit the water they are always deader than a door nail.

PetahW

My hunting pard is 71 y.o., has broken his back two different times and his neck once, in separate accidents over the years - and has been mandated by his Doctors to no longer shoot anything with substantial recoil.

He uses a .30-30 for deer, where allowed (out-of-state), but a rifled, 20ge NEF/H&R Pardner II for the shotguns-only deer searson in our state.

So far, he's never needed more than a single shot to fill his shotgun tag - and it's hard to argue with success.

I only wish I was as successful. . :rolleyes:

(I use a 20ga too - but an Ithaca 37 Deerslayer repeater. I haven't had to shoot a 12ga in more than 10 years)

Boncrayon

Any single shot break open shotgun is sweet, but for a youth shooter, it has a stronger kick than a gas powerd shotgun. The hammer cock give the youth shooter a once chance of follow up, thus more concentration on the bead. Single shot break opens are easy for break down, cleaning and for visual unloaded safety check. I moved from my first Savage 20 break open in my youth to my Savage Fox 20 side by side (dual trigger). It was just perfect in weight and power for dove, quail, rabbit and squirill. Depending on the age of the young shooter, let them try it out in the field to determine their comfort level.

toolmaan

Great thread here. Just today I picked up a Pardner 20 GA single shot from a pawn shop for $35 out the door. Took it out back and shot it a few times, this is a slick little gun! Picked it up for my son to use, really doesn't kick all that hard.

sir_n0thing

My second firearm was an old 20ga single shot, got it when I was 13. I used to go dove hunting in Texas with grandpa and his friends. I got so good with that thing I could often get two birds out of a flight going over... birds heading my way: aim, shoot, reload, aim shoot. Two shots, two birds.
Grandpa was quite proud of me. :) My hunting vest pouch was always full by day's end.