20 ga. Pistol?

rkba_net

A 20 gauge SMOOTH bore pistol is an AOW... if you rifled the bore the resulting weapon would be a DD (Destructive Device)... with a bore of .615 inches...

Bill DeShivs

Ok- for the record:
If one could locate a receiver that has not been assembled as a shotgun, it could be registered as an AOW, but the initial tax would still be $200. Subsequent transfers would be $5.
If you make a pistol from an existing shotgun it can not be registered as an AOW- it would be a "firearm made from a shotgun" with an initial and subsequent taxes of $200.
Therefore, the gun could be either an AOW, or a "Firearm," but not technically a SBS (they have a stock) unless rulings have been changed recently.
Why would anyone want a rifled 20 ga. pistol? Rifling was not mentioned.

seeker_two

It could be done...if you could find the SxS receiver that never had a buttstock attached....

Mmmmm.....modern replica "Howdah" pistol.... :D

Bill DeShivs

It could be done with any shotgun receiver. The registration fee would be $200 either way- AOW or FMS. Subsequent transfer fees would be $5 AOW, or $200 FMS. I have been "planning" on doing this for years, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Broke

buzz knox said:
If you plan on doing a lot of shooting with it, go ahead and find a good orthopedic surgeon and stock up on lots of muscle rub. I've played with one pistol gripped Serbu and that experience was quite enough.

Not a Serbu, but here is a video of me shooting a Mossberg 500 with one hand like a pistol.... http://www.brokevw.com/onehandmagnum.wmv

The first shot was #6 dove/quail and then the 2nd shot was a 3" Magnum slug (1760 fps about 3000 ft-lbs ME).

Broke