2.75" vs. 3" 00 buck

147 Grain

Save the birdshot for the birds and use buckshot for the larger bucks invading your home!

The whole point of self-defense (SD) is to IMMEDIATELY stop the threat and a shallow wound from birdshot doesn't put as many odds in your favor as buckshot does! While still deadly at a slower pace, birdshot is more likely to leave the BG additional time to inflict harm (than buckshot). Use what you want for SD, as it's your life on the line. Most people want to put more odds in their favor and buckshot is more effective at preserving life than birdshot.

147 Grain

"Birdshot, because of its small size, does not have the mass and sectional density to penetrate deeply enough to reliably reach and damage critical blood distribution organs. Although birdshot can destroy a great volume of tissue at close range, the permanent crush cavity is usually less than 6 inches deep, and this is not deep enough to reliably include the heart or great blood vessels of the abdomen. A gruesome, shallow wound in the torso does not guarantee a quick stop, especially if the bad guy is chemically intoxicated or psychotic. If the tissue crushed by the pellets does not include a vital cardiovascular structure there's no reason for it to be an effective wound.

"Many people load their shotguns with birdshot, usually #6 shot or smaller, to minimize interior wall penetration. Number 6 lead birdshot, when propelled at 1300 fps, has a maximum penetration depth potential of about 5 inches in standard ordnance gelatin. Not all of the pellets penetrate this deeply however; most of the birdshot will only penetrate about 4 inches."

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

Federal's LE 9-pellet LE132-00 load @ 1,145 fps with LR Flight Control (FC) wads offers outstanding performance in and outside the home (civilian version is PD132-00). These hardened copper plated buckshot pellets penetrate plenty and full-power loads are not needed unless your semi-auto won't function reliably with LR shells or you need extended range in more open areas. The full-power version of 00 buckshot with FC is LE127-00 @ 1,325 fps.

krazykeny

3 inch

These guys are thinking that the ONLY self defense is against a burglar.
What if you have to shoot back at Car in a drive by shooting?
What if the Badguy takes cover behind a Refrigerator, Washer, or dryer?

I load my Maverick pump with 2 - 3'" magnum #4 buckshot.
Then a pair of 3 " 000 buckshot then 2 rifled slugs.

Try to defend yourself against a gangbanger in a car,
and those low recoil shotshells will get you killed.

Any Buckshot is going to shoot through several walls anyway.
Even the low recoil shotshells will shoot through 7 walls.

mpd61

Whatever

There isn't ANYTHING a 2.75 .12 ga load can't do...certainly in the buckshot arena.
The 3" and 3.5" are arguably a bit better in some limited applications like Waterfowl.

oneounceload

What if you have to shoot back at Car in a drive by shooting?
What if the Badguy takes cover behind a Refrigerator, Washer, or dryer?

Shoot back at a car is not self defense then.....and in my home, not even a roach can get behind any of my appliances, let a burglar

If someone is shooting at you from a car, I would think that shooting back at them would be self defense

Doyle

If someone is shooting at you from a car, I would think that shooting back at them would be self defense
\

Depends on the state. In many states, the fact that you actually came out of your house to engage the drive-by car takes you out of the self defense category.

I was thinking of shooting back out of a window. I wouldn't be going outside, but I see what you are saying.

Donaldjr1969

I have Winchester Ranger Low Recoil, 8 pellet 00buck loads for HD out of my 18" cylinder barreled Winchester 1300. If need be, I have Ranger Low Recoil 1oz slugs. If I need more power than that, I have Brenneke Black Magic Magnum slugs.

Donaldjr1969

Doyle said:
Depends on the state. In many states, the fact that you actually came out of your house to engage the drive-by car takes you out of the self defense category.
Even if they stayed in the house as that poster mentioned, the SD aspect probably would not be considered as the car is most likely on the street, which is not one's property. If the car is driving off, I am sure most prosecutors would try to nail a person to the wall for being a vigilante, especially if the shots missed and struck something else.

Tanner777

shooting back

it take alot of cool to shoot back at someone if you never have done it before,I believe most of us would would hug the floor or if outside motherearth, unless you were in the military or police

Willie Lowman

Tanner777, this is the internet.

dontworry1.jpg

We always shoot back...