1st 12 gauge? 88, 500, 590.. 870, express, etc.. ??

Pathfinder45

I like what Stinky Pete posted,....however, his list came close, but stopped just shy of perhaps the most legendary pump shotgun of all time. It's an all steel and Walnut gun; if there is any plastic on it, it would probably be the buttplate in later versions... And it's machined steel; even the cartridge lifter; not stamped like some other brands.... I don't even need to mention it's name or model as it is so legendary that it goes without saying. They used to be unaffordable for me; but in the last couple of decades, so many young bucks have traded in Grandpa's family heir-loom shotgun, not knowing what they had in their hands, just to get the latest plastic AR-whatever, that now some of the Classics are within reach of those that have long wanted one.
In case anyone is clueless as to what I'm referring to, here's a pretty nice one: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/806824987
More affordably, here's one more like mine: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/799056847
Prices vary a whole lot depending on the usual factors. Mine was made in 1914; the blueing is long worn off to a silvery patina, but it's as solid and reliable as the day it was made. I only paid $225 for mine at the Portland Expo gunshow in 2012. It's over a hundred years old now and it's all good!
They only made a couple of million of them so they are not hard to find. Also, they are all in take-down configuration, separating into two halves without tools in about 2 seconds.... It's a truly brilliant gun!
Here's a little more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_1912

Last edited:

Ricklin

It's funny (funny strange)

Pathfinder, I am in 100% agreement with you.

It's also a great platform to build on. Stocks are available from several aftermarket sources.
The beauty there is putting together a gun that fits it's owner.

If the new owner or custodian of one of these fine shotguns should insist choke tubes can be fitted. Mike Orlen is a great choice and offers a discount for forum members.

You can't swing a dead cat here in the PNW without hitting several 12 ga 30" barreled M-12's. They can also be cut down for an excellent HD shotgun.

Given the number of them in circulation there is no concern with destroying a piece of history. Just check before you cut.

The perfect repeater.

stinkeypete

I thought Pathfinder was going to link to a Winchester 1897! Advantage here is lowering the exposed hammer when one is in the pipe. Disadvantage is some idiot will blow a hole in the carpet.

Like all the pump shotguns, today you’d pay extra for it being a “takedown”.

Being old fashioned, I can’t understand a reason to swap perfectly good walnut for cheap plastic. The lead comes out the fron end just the same. If you really insist on black, take off the stock and spray on a few coats of plastidip. Plastidip. Because later when you wise up to how cool real walnut is you can peel it back off. $6.00

dreaming

Go with what Virginian wrote. I didn't read all the posts, but his is about right. One major thing I believe you said was that you didn't want chokes. Big Mistake. If you are concerned with getting a fixed choke barrel, those are usually found on older guns. You want one with a barrel that accepts screw in chokes.

It is also nice if the gun allows you to easily change barrels, should you decide you want different barrels for different purposes. For example, I keep a short barrel on my 870 when it serves as a home defense gun, but I can easily fit it with a 28" barrel. Were I a turkey hunter I might want a 21" barrel or for deer I would want a cantilever barrel that could take a scope. Those may be rifled. I don't recall, but a smooth bore can do a pretty good job with rifled slugs.

Check me on this, but one of the problems with some Mossbergs has to do with changing barrels and the capacity of the magazine tube. The barrel lug has to be fixed so that that it matches up with the length of the magazine.

Other than that, it is pretty much a toss up between Mossbergs and Remingtons. I prefer a Remington, but that is me.

If you want to shoot Trap, even red neck, you don't want a short barrel without any choke, unless you are just screwing around. Most use a Modified choke from the 16 yard line and some who shoot late go to a improved modified. The other day I didn't have my choke kit with me, when I was asked to shoot some Trap, and I had to do with Skeet chokes. It wasn't a pretty site. Get a gun that takes screw in chokes. Some older ones can be modified to accept them, but they may not be able to be threaded for chokes depending on the thickness of the wall of the barrel at the muzzle.

Blindstitch

Capacity is only a problem if you let it be. You could get a mossberg 500 or 88 and buy a mini shell adapter and feed it the minis. They're only 1 3/4 inch long and come in all flavors including buckshot and slugs.

bamaranger

novelty

I have a hard time referring to any firearm as a "toy", but for a shotgun that is to be used almost solely for amusement, for $200 you can get a Maverick 88 with a short tube and 5+1 capacity. It will kill cans and redneck clays as well enough to keep you grinning.

When one starts talking rails, dot sights, mag extensions, you move into a whole new category of serious shotgun that will cost more and not kill cans any better than the 88.

JERRYS.

I started my time in the military and law enforcement with the 870, but have since moved to the 590. I still own an old 870 only because I haven't been in the market.... but if I were to do it over I'd get the Mossberg. for just a toy the 88 can't be beat. for serious work that you can add-on ad nauseum the 590 would be my choice.