1911's

mk70ss

I carry a 1911 as my Every day gun. It is either my Colt New Agent or my Sig Nitron Ultra Compact, both in .45. Once you get used to the manual of arms for a cocked and locked gun, find a good holster and you will be very well armed.

WVsig

+1 to Tuner1911's comments.

I agree with 1911Tuners statements when it comes to 5" Govt and most Commander length 1911s but when you get into double stack officer models, CCOs, Agents etc.... which people refer to as 1911s the conversation completely changes.

Look at all the references to 1911s in this thread very few of them are talking about the same gun 1911tuner is talking about IMO.

The percentage of 1911 pistols of any size, from any maker, that have problems from the factory is extremely small. IMHO, the real problem with 1911s is that there are so may aftermarket parts available. That's a blessing and a curse. Too many people just start throwing parts at their pistol with no idea what they're doing, then they wonder why it doesn't work any more.

Call it the "Bubba factor."

hermanpj

I carry a Kimber Super Carry Pro in .45ACP as my every day carry, and my wife now has a Dan Wesson ECO 9MM.

To the point someone raised about them requiring more maintenance, I suppose I do spend more time maintaining my 1911s than I do my 92FS, but its not inordinate. Fact is, I like doing so.

Have 1000+ rounds through the Kimber and never a concern about the extractor or mainspring. Keeping an eye on it, and its about due for a new recoil spring, but no FTF or FTE issues.

I do think 1911s are more selective/sensitive to what they want to fire. For instance, the Kimber will only fail to feed or extract if I'm shooting lighter grain bullets or lighter powder loads. So I shoot 230 grain and l have dialed in the powder charge.

The Dan Wesson ECO 9MM was VERY picky during the break in period. 124 and 147 grain bullets were a must. 115 grain bullets caused FTE and FTF. The Checkmate 7 round magazines it came with are fine - its just a matter of the recoil spring needing to be broken in with a heavier load before the gun will cycle lighter rounds. That and all the tolerances are so tight. So running it wet, and now 200 rounds through it, functioning well. Will continue shooting heavier bullets until we get to around 500, then I'll see if it will reliably cycle 115 grain.

I like both of these guns, and I know as long as I maintain them, use the right ammo, and don't abuse them, they'll both provide us with years of reliable operation.

LRChops

I have the new SIG 1911 Scorpion. What a fantastic gun! I love the SIG line of 1911's. Colt and SIG are my tops. I have Kimbers, S&W, Para (ugh!), and the SIGS are my new addiction! I have a GSR XO that functions flawlessly!

The Ruger SR1911 is a great example of a quality 1911 without the high price tag. It is made in the USA and is a great option for those with a limited budget.