1911, which ones are really reliable?

dogngun

Any pistol made by Armscor, that is RIA or older Charles Daly. They are great shooters, reliable, long lasting, accurate.
I started shooting 1911's about 40 years ago, only own Armscor pistols now, and that's all I plan to buy in the future.

mark

mnw42

As it has been said before... most 1911s run out of the box, except for some newer guns that are too tight or otherwise out of spec. With 4"-5" gun problems are typicaly easy to fix (tweak extractor, magazine, etc) The super small guns are another matter entirely, when they go bad they can be horrid. Granted this has been my experience, and yours may be different. Any gun can be made to jam with bad ammo or any number of other factors. Hell, I've seen a Glock have a stoppage - it doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.

Watching guys shoot three dozen rounds in a match doesn't really prove anything. Were they using reloads? Factory ammo? If there was a problem with the basic design the 1911 wouldn't have been in continuous production for the last 97 years.

My real experience has been with the four 1911s have passed through my hands in the last six years or so:

My S70 Gold Cup that has been 90% reliable with only a minor tweak to the extractor, a new recoil spring, and fresh magazines to keep her running through the (est.) 3000 rounds I've put through it since 2002. When I had a stoppage it was because something was worn while trying to feed wad-cutters.

A pre-CZ Pointman (bought used) that had some feeding issues that were fixed with a recoil spring and using my Colt magazines.

A 1947 Colt Super 38 Government Model that was converted to .38 Special and feeds .38 wad-cutters with no problem - with the correct magazine.

My new gun is a Colt Commander .38 Super. It has run flawlessly through the ~350 rounds I've run through it in the past week and half.

Your mileage may vary....

thinkingman

All manufacturers make ****s once in a while.
Yes, even Colt (gasp!)
You will find more problems in the commander and sub-commander sizes.
3inch 1911's are notorious.
Stay with quality magazines, shoot factory ammo, and keep tweeks to a minimum and you should have good reliability.

Rangegod

Overview of the performance of my 1911's over the last 35 years. (May have missed a few, as memory is not what it once was.)

9MM Colt Commander (6)
45 ACP Colt LW Commander (5)
45 ACP Colt/Gov. Md.(original S70) (5)
45 ACP Colt/ Commander (1991 ORM) (4)
45 ACP Clot/Defender (4)
45 ACP Colt/LW Commander XSE (4)
45 ACP Norinco/1911A1 (Blue) (1)
45 ACP Norinco/1911A1 (Hard Chrome) (1)
45 ACP Norinco/1911A1 (park) (1)
45 ACP Kimber/Clasic (3)
45 ACP Kimber/Royal Cary (2)
45 ACP Kimber/Custom Royal (4)
45 ACP Para-Ordnance/P12-45 (1)*
45 ACP Brown KC (1)
45 ACP Brown SF (1)
45 ACP Brown SF (1)
45 ACP Brown/Class A Ltd Commander (1)
45 ACP SA/TRP (3)
45 ACP SA/PRO (1)
45 ACP SA/Trophy Match (3)
45 ACP STI/Trojan (3)
45 ACP Dan Wesson CBOB (2)
45 ACP Taurus / PT 1911 (1)
45 ACP Valtro (1)

Honorable mention “1911ish” guns (Like other external extractor “1911 want-to-be’s”)
45 ACP Star/PD #1 (1)*
45 ACP Star/PD #2 (1)*
45 ACP Star/PS (1)*

NOTES:
(1) 100% out of the box with all mags & ammo
(2) 100% with slight break-in, &/or mag change
(3) Reliable after break-in with specific ammo & mags
(4) Reliable after part(s) change &/or minor gunsmithing
(5) Reliable after major gunsmithing
(6) Never worked even after multiple returns to manufacture and gunsmiths
(*) Only OEM mags used

Silvanus

You will find more problems in the commander and sub-commander sizes.
3inch 1911's are notorious.

I knew the 3" models sometimes have problems, but is it the same with commander size? That's what I'm mainly interested in.

@Rangegod: wow, that's quite a list :eek: Thanks for sharing your experience. It's interesting to see that all your Norincos were flawless. I wanted an American-made 1911, but the Norincos are hard to beat for the price (250 €). Also the fact that you too seem to have had problems with commander sized 1911s is interesting...

rdoggsilva

I have put 1500 rounds through my Taurus pt 1911. Have used all types of ammo FMJ, JHP, JSWC, reloads with out a FTF or FTE. Some have had problems with the pt1911, like anything mechanical, most have not. Even the high price 1911,s have the share of them. Go to m1911.org, read the post and make your decision.