1911, which ones are really reliable?

Silvanus

I know there have been a lot of threads about this topic lately, but a recent experience kinda put me off 1911s. I was attending (and participating for the first time, I had a blast! :D) a practical shooting match. There were 3 people who shot the 36 round course with 1911s. There was a blued Colt (I think it was a Series 70 Gold Cup), a Peter's Stahl (a pretty popular German company that makes expensive custum 1911s) and a Kimber "Desert Warrior". Two of the shooters had one FTF/FTE (I wasn't close enough to be sure which) and the owner of the Kimber even had 2 malfunctions. Keep in mind that they only fired 36 rounds :eek:

Recently, I was thinking about getting Springfield or Colt 1911 myself, but what I saw at this match kinda shocked me... 3 1911s 4 jams! I'm not so sure about buying one anymore. I know that one shooter was using lead RN reloads (like "shoot 'n see" targets on steel plates ;) ), but still... There was only one other pistol that had a malfunction (a Glock 17 with an aftermarket threaded barrel), but everything else was reliable. I used my own Glock 17 and I saw Tanfoglios, two Beretta 92s, a CZ75, a Sig Sauer P228 and a Glock 19 and 21 "C", as well as some guns I didn't see close enough to know what brand they were, but they were all 100% reliable. One shooter told me his Norinco 1911 has never had a malfunction so far, even though it is the cheapest gun he owns. Sounds like a nice deal to me:)

Now I really don't know what to think of the 1911. I like everything about the ones I tried myself before. They feel good in my hands and have very nice triggers. They are beautiful too, but are they generally reliable? I'm not so sure anymore. I would like to hear the opinion of all the 1911 owners on this board. From your personal experience, which brands have been reliable out of the box for you?

WhyteP38

It can be very difficult to determine whether certain brands of 1911s are more reliable than others because there are so many factors to consider. If one has a failure of some kind, was the problem the pistol? Or was it the shooter's handloads that he or his buddy made? Or a bad magazine?

I have several Springfields and a Colt. The Springfields were typical Springfields in that they came from the factory with 15+ pound triggers and shot low. Sent them back to the company for repair to the company's advertized specs (Springfield paid for shipping both ways). The guns are now great shooters. The only time they have problems are when I use bad magazines. The Colt was fine straight from the box, but it is a little more mag-sensitive. So I'd have to say Springfields and Colts are reliable. Of course, any company can put out a lemon. And remember that dozens of companies crank out boat loads of 1911s, so even a tiny percentage of lemons means a fair number of lemons in actual numbers, plus a variety of quality control levels due to the number of makers. By comparison, only Glock makes Glocks, so Glock has total control over the quality control processes.

Based on my experience and my reading, the two biggest reasons for problems in 1911s are not the pistols but 1) bad magazines and 2) bad ammo. I've never had problems while using Wilson 7-round stainless steel mags or good factory ammo, such as Federal, Magtech, Remington (Golden Saber HPs) or Winchester (the US-made stuff; the Czech-made stuff has caused problems).

dogmush

Unfortunatly I'm not at my home computer, so I have to estimate these total rds fired numbers a little bit. but they are good to within a couple hundred rounds. The falures are right on, I keep better track of those.

I have 4 RIA 1911's.

My RIA GI full size (customized) bought new in box, 12000 rds fired, about 15 falures total. Ignore the first hundred rds (I was testing used gunshow mags), and it's about 3900 MRBF

My RIA Tactical, Bought new in box, 9000 rds fired, 3 falures total (Ammo issues, I was learning to reload), 3000MRBF

My RIA Midsize, Bought used, 1200 rds fired, 6 falures total, came with a bad mag; no falures since I put a factory mag in it.

My RIA GI Full size (stock) Bought New in box, 500 rds fired, no falures, still kinda new.

So for me Rock Islands have been pretty good. I trust them as my carry weapon.

mk70ss

My Springfield 1911 Gov model never jammed for any reason firing approx. 6000 rounds. Then I sold it for another .357 S&W:(

MSgt G

S&W 1911 - ZERO problems
Les Baer Premier II - ZERO problems
Les Baer SRP Commanche - ZERO problems

Your results may vary :)

WESHOOT2

Facts (vs "opinions based on what I read on the 'net")

Colt 1911 pistols may fail.
German-made 1911 pistols; who cares?
Kimber Desert Warrior; even certain premier pistolsmiths had trouble (and could not fix).
All machines may fail.

If you think certain brands do not fail visit a GSSF match.

KyJim

Two things you need to keep in mind if considering 1911s. First, some require a break-in period of 300 rounds or so. Some people claim this is a cop-out but most manufacturers suggest it and a ton of people have had their gun smooth out after a break-in period. Part of the reason is that everyone wants a tight 1911 and, therefore, tolerances are more unforgiving. Now, if you went to a competition and they were using "race" guns or other heavily modified 1911s, the tolerance factor just went off the charts. Think of a race car. How many don't complete 500 miles because of mechanical problems? Yet, most of us wouldn't own a family sedan that couldn't make it 500 miles.

Some 1911s are also more mag sensitive for a couple of reasons. First, there's not just one manufacturer who controls both the pistol and mag specs. There are a boatload of gun manufacturers and a different (mostly) boatload of magazine manufacturers. Also, see comment above about tolerances.

So, the trick is getting a 1911 with a good reputation for reliability. Then, get to a range and spend enough bucks to put 300 or more rounds downrange. Test each mag you plan to use (with each 1911) for functioning with the particular type of ammo you use.

Finally, make sure you oil/lube well. Most 1911s like to run on the wet side and some new shooters don't understand this. IMHO, Kimber is NOT one of the most reliable 1911 manufacturers out there. They are accurate and pretty.

jdc1244

I'm not so sure about buying one anymore.

I don’t know if anyone can say anything to you that will make you feel better.

All I can tell you is my personal experience: my Colts have run perfectly out of the box with the factory mags, different ammo, and no break-in period.

Silvanus

Thanks for your replies. It's kinda what I wanted/hoped to hear. Another factor that I didn't take into account is that most shooters in Europe don't have the slightest interest in self-defence (unfortunately:() and therefore don't even care if their guns are reliable. For most of the one's I saw a practical shooting match was probably a one-time experience. They are used to static shooting at the firing range :)barf:). If their gun jams, so what? They would probably not even research what they could do about it.

I suppose faulty handload, wrong/no maintenance and bad magazines are the reason for most problems I witnessed.

KyJim

Springfield Armory and Colt both have reputations for reliable guns. I own a couple of each with no problems. I'll also say that shooting a 1911 is a different experience than shooting any other style of handgun. If you've never shot one, see if you can shoot someone else's at the range. You'll find yourself either hooked or discover they aren't for you.

michael t

a practical shooting match

Their was you trouble These pistols more than likey been tinkered with and was shooting hand loads .
I have 8 Colts from a 1941 GI to a New Agent 1 Kimber and a Dan Wesson Bobtail. and just got a new American ClassicII
Only one that has ever gave me a problem was the Kimber I trashed factory mags and it now works .
All of the above run on ball or HP with out a hitch.
Majority 1911's are relieable from factory Its the tinkers and game shooters that make them other wise.

Fremmer

A stock, plain-Jane Colt (series 80 or 90) will be reliable. If you have it modified, have it done by a Smith that does a lot of 1911 work.

I have several 1911s.

Kimber Tactical Pro 4" - reliable 500 rounds so far.
Kimber Ultra CDP II 3" - Not reliable. Still working on it after 500 rounds.
Norinco/Wilson Combat Frankenstein - Completely reliable 500+ rounds.
Springfield Armory plain jane 1911 - Reliable 300 rounds.

RickB

I shot a USPSA match on Sunday, and I don't recall anyone having any mechanical problems over the 150-rounds, and that's not atypical. While poor shooting can put a dent in one's performance, a malfunctioning gun will kill you in short order, so nobody puts up with guns that don't work. In every division but Production, where the 1911 isn't allowed, they absolutely dominate. That said, competition shooters tend to tinker with their guns and their ammo, sometimes more than is good or necessary, but that's the case with non-1911s, as well. Guns that have never had a malfunction have not been shot very much.

hkg3

I often tell people, I don’t know which is more reliable, my (custom built) Colt 1911, or my (original German) HK-91. I have tried to make my 1911 malfunction. The damn thing is like the Energizer Bunny; it just keeps going.

A properly “dialed-in” 1911 with good quality (Wilson Combat) magazines CAN with out a doubt be one of the most reliable guns anywhere.

KChen986

Sig Sauer GSR RCS 1911 in 4.25" Last time at the range it had ~2 malfunctions per 100 rounds (and that's w/ a 20lb recoil spring.....).

Charles Daly EFS. Occasional FTRB on last round =\.

That's 0/2 in terms of dependable reliability for my 1911s.

ken grant

If a 1911 is made to specs and out of the proper materials(including mags), it will run out of the box.
No break-in needed,no handfitting needed.
Look at USGI pistols. All the parts were to specs,even if made by several different mgfs. and you could mixmaster them and odds were great that they would run as they should.
In my 72 yrs., I have owned a few USGI 1911's, both original and mixmasters and they all worked unless something was worn out. Then you just purchased a surplus part,dropped it in and in most cases that was all that was needed.

Sturmgewehre

Springfield TRP: 4,000 rounds zero malfunctions with Wilson mags and factory WWB 45 ACP ammo.
Springfield EMP: 1,500 rounds zero malfunctions with factory mags and factory WWB 9mm ammo.
Colt XSE Commander: Lost count of rounds fired, thousands. The only malfunctions I had were with one magazine (GI gunshow mag I found in my collection of mags). When used with Wilson 47D magazines it never malfunctions.
Ed Brown Kobra: 1,000 rounds zero malfunctions with factory mags and factory WWB 45 ACP ammo.
Ed Brown Kobra Carry: 1,200 rounds zero malfunctions with factory mags and factory WWB 45 ACP ammo.

The new 1911 in the family:
DSC02187.jpg

DSC02189.jpg

DSC02190.jpg

DSC02192.jpg

300 rounds fired over Memorial Day with zero malfunctions using factory Springfield magazines and WWB 45 ACP ammo.

Kreyzhorse

My Springfield TRP 700 rounds zero FTF or FTE

My buddy's Springfield TRP 500 rounds zero FTF or FTE.

My experience with the TRP is that they are outstanding, accurate, reliable guns. Your actual mileage may vary however.