1911-style grip "safety" - why, oh why!?

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Wasn't "sniveling," Charlie. Call it the ramblings of an insomniac.

Seems redundant, is all, & I'm surprised there's not more frame styles available without it.

Ledbetter

I never knew this was such a big deal

I guess I'm lucky I have webbed hands. I've never failed to engage the grip safety, whether beavertail or standard issue.

Correia

Lets see. It don't hurt nothing. And it might help... Hmmm...

Damn obsolete gun! :rolleyes: I guess it would be a better design if it had a safety on the trigger face that could be activated by putting the gun into a holster that has a bit of untucked shirt in it. Or maybe it would be a better design if it had an external extractor that flys out the side of the gun in the case of a catastrophic failure, forming a great secondary missle. Or maybe it would be a better design if it had a high tech 12 pound creepy trigger? Or maybe it would be more advanced if it locked up on the barrel hood, instead of top lugs, that way it could be much fatter and harder to conceal.

There is nothing wrong with the grip safety. If you can't activate the safety with your grip, get a beavertail with a speed bump. If you don't like grip safeties, there are 200 other types of pistol that don't have them.

Christopher II

Quite the contrary, for me, at least. They don't help, and they don't always work...

Jeez, you criticize one element of a pistol design and every 1911 addict joins in the pile. You'd think that Labgrade witnessed a Glock blowing up... :D

- Chris

OF

The way I heard it, Sam's right: the original design had the grip safety but no thumb safety.

As for me, I have had the grip safety fail to disengage for me. The thing just didn't like the way I was holding the pistol.

- Gabe

Correia

Your right Chris. I just get a bit touchy sometimes. I guess it is just the idea of "I don't like this one feature, even though there are dozens of others the way I like, I want this one different one to conform!" :p

tdow

One nice thing about the grip safety is that you can install the one that you like best. Seems like one of the reasons the 1911 is so popular is the availability of aftermarket parts. I'm glad that I have the option of setting the gun up to make it more appealing to me.

The standard grip safety has never caused discomfort or malfunctions for me.

--Todd Dow

Bullitt

Anyone with a 1911 who doesn't like the grip saftey, please mail the firearm to the following address.......:D I would hate for someone to have a 1911 they don't like.

The nice thing about grip safetys: If you like them there they are, if you don't they are easy to deactivate. You have your choice. I choose to deactivate them. Many of my friends like them.