1911 sales really slow?

KeeperOath

Slow Sales:

The Gun Shops here in Central Indiana tell me sales are slow right now. Yes, it is vacation time, but who can afford a vacation? Oh, I forgot Our President and our Congressmen; a months vacation at that. God Bless their pea-pickin hearts since they work so hard (at campaigning that is).

Lamar Jr

In my area there is more inventory of both handguns and long guns now than what there has been in a long time. Either production is up (doubtful) or demand is down. I shop regularly at LGS, Academy, Bass Pro and Cabelas, and see more selection available now than at any time in the past two years. Same for ammo.

5whiskey

1911s are not a novice's gun, though some novices buy them just the same.

:confused:???:confused:

What's this about a 1911 being "not good for a first gun"? I must have really screwed up because the first handgun I bought and shot was a 1911. I found it easy to learn to shoot and to maintain. Heck, it's even fun to clean. So I have five 1911s now.

That reflects my experience. The first handgun I purchased for me was a RIA GI 1911. I shot it like I stole it, never had a failure (even with HP ammo), and I eventually got to the point that I could out-shoot most people I encountered with that gun. That was back when I could get a 100 round box of WWB for 20 bucks. I eventually sold it, missed it, got a Springfield GI. It was about as reliable, accurate, and easy to maintain as the RIA. Fit & finish was maybe a little better... but essentially the same gun. I sold the Springfield (times were tight), and now I am 1911-less. I hate it. I want another one. Bad...

With all this being said, I understand disassembly is a little different than almost all other modern firearms. Still, it's not rocket science.

jmay

I love how everyone says THE 1911 IS JUST NOT A GOOD FIRST HANDGUN:mad: How many millions of U.S. GIs has had the 1911 for a first time handgun and for sure it was most of thems first time to hold an auto pistol in the World War area;)

kcub

You don't think it would be easier to train greenhorns to shoot and disassemble and clean a Beretta than a 1911?

"but there wasn't a Beretta in WW1 & 2"

No, and there wasn't a 1911 in the civil war either.

RsqVet

Summer slow down. I still see the higher end guns selling, or being on order. Same goes for "other" featured guns, 9mm, threaded barrel etc.

Mid range guns seem to really be filling up in the cases in stores I visit; If I had to guess the multi 1911 owner typically keeps moving up in price point, so how many 700-900 1911's can a shop sell in a year?

5RWill

Despite gun sales being down i have yet to find a cz 75 SP01 anywhere. So there is that.

For me personally i would want to start out with a colt or Dan Wesson valor. Though when i make the jump to a 1911 i'll likely go get a caspian slide & frame and have it done the way i want it done the first time around.

gyvel

You don't think it would be easier to train greenhorns to shoot and disassemble and clean a Beretta than a 1911?

When I took my first Beretta 92 in for repair when I was working in the 80s, I can still remember thinking to myself how much I would like to be a fly on the wall when the first military armorer had to work on a Beretta.

Last edited: