1911: SA vs S&W

TunnelRat

Hi All,
I wanted some advice. Basically I am looking at the following two choices.

For $575
http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=2
The Springfield Armory 1911 Mil Spec

For $750
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57754_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
Smith and Wesson 1911 (Their most basic)

They are both used guns with all the original equipment in roughly the same condition, 96%. My instinct is to save money if possible and get the SA as it is likely good quality. However, I like the beaver tail on the S&W and I've never been let down by S&W's warranty. In addition i like the 8 round mags from S&W. However I've never known anyone personally who had a S&W 1911 while I do many people with Springfields.

Is it worth the extra $175 for the S&W?

Thanks
-Patrick

Last edited:

BarryLee

A lot is really personal preferences I think they both have excellent reputations. Now, I personally prefer the SA and if it looks good I would not hesitate to grab it. I believe SA has very good customer service and eight round magazines can be had for twenty to thirty bucks from Chip McCormick and probably cheaper if you shop around.

Dino.

I think BarryLee's spot on about personal preference.
I prefer the SA myself. I believe it to be more true to the original (no external extractor) and I've heard really good things about their customer service.

Fortunately, I've never had to use them (knock on wood). :D

TunnelRat

You both bring up good points.

My only other concern with the Smith is the Shwarz safety system. This will likely be home defense/range gun and I don't want to take the chance of any problems.

9x19

I dislike external extractors and firing pin safeties, so I would go with Springfield, although I'd have to choose one with a beavertail grip safety. :D

Don Glock

springfield armory.

i don't mind the external extractor, as s&w's does work fine, but i can't stand unnecessary parts on guns like the swartz type safeties on 1911's.

SA smartly uses a LW titanium firing pin coupled with a heavy firing pin spring to prevent drop discharges. it adds no extra parts and works beautifully.

Mr.Blue

1911 = American Legend

I can't imagine buying a 1911 that wasn't built in America. I would get the S&W, but to each his own. I tend to be idealistic about stuff like this. Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:

TunnelRat

@ Mr Blue
I do understand that argument. It's unfortunate that Springfield does produce a good quantity of these in Brazil. However the ones I've held seem to have decent fit and finish. As a side note I do have a S&W Model 19 and an M&P.

@ 9mm
I happen to leave near a gun shop that has a ridiculous used gun selection. Now remember that price is for USED, granted in very good shape, but still used. Brand new I could get one for $680.

Don P

As stated SA is true to the design. I have a Mil-Spec parkerized and has been trouble free since broken in ( 200-300 rounds). Great customer service. I needed a extractor replaced on my XD 9 mm. Less than 3 week turn around. No series 80 safety system. A very good platform if you choose to do any additional work.
Lowered and flared ejection port, flared mag well, throated barrel, 3-dot sights. A great starting point.
You can take the money saved and buy extra magazines. CM Shooting star mags are around $16.00

TunnelRat

Sad news. Turns out the used SA 1911 is actually a GI spec. I'd really prefer the Mil Spec for the add-ons you get from it. I could get a brand new Mil Spec for $680. Now the difference is down to $70.

Same advice?

@Skadoosh
That is true as he used them on the Hi Power. I personally own a M&P 9mm with an external extractor that I have no problem with. One thing I would wonder though is if he used the external extractor on the Hi Power because the patent for the internal method he used on the 1911, which he sold to Colt, hadn't run out when he was designing the Hi Power? I know he kind of had to start from scratch because a lot of the work he'd done on the 1911 was owned by Colt at the time. Just a thought.

BarryLee

Sad news. Turns out the used SA 1911 is actually a GI spec. I'd really prefer the Mil Spec for the add-ons you get from it. I could get a brand new Mil Spec for $680. Now the difference is down to $70.

Same advice?

Yes, regrettably there is a little confusion sometimes involving the GI and Mil-Spec models. Personally my opinion remains unchanged; buy the SA Mil-Spec and spend the extra money on two or three Chip McCormick magazines.

Mrgunsngear

My vote is for S&W. My brother has one and it's accurate and 100% reliable with any ammo. (Don't freak out Springfield guys, I have a Loaded and love it but...) Some of the milspec and GI's have issues with hollow points. It's generally nothing repolishing the feed ramp can't solve but for the $70 difference, I'd just go with the S&W.

Skadoosh

One thing I would wonder though is if he used the external extractor on the Hi Power because the patent for the internal method he used on the 1911, which he sold to Colt, hadn't run out when he was designing the Hi Power? I know he kind of had to start from scratch because a lot of the work he'd done on the 1911 was owned by Colt at the time. Just a thought.

The way I understand it, JMB prefered the external extractor because it was more reliable as well as it easier to manufacture. The 1911 was specified with an internal extractor for ease of field maintenance by the army.

jmr40

The Smith is the better gun by a long shot. The external extractor is not traditional, but I can live with it and consider it an improvement.

9x19

I dislike external extractors

John M. Browning liked them.

Not enough to design them for the 1911 or the Browning High Power.

That is true as he used them on the Hi Power.

Nope, the P35 High Power was originally designed and manufactured with an internal extractor, it was changed to external in the 1960s.

HiPowerB_3-1.jpg

I'm not saying Externals don't work, just that I PREFER the internal, and as long as there are quality 1911 offerings with internal, I won't own one with the external.

Last edited:

TunnelRat

@ 9 X 19
Ah, good catch! The Hi Power I owned was a later model.

So the count is 5 for SA 4 for S&W. All these S&W people late to the game.

As a note, the reason why this particular SA Mil Spec is $680 and not lower is that it is the stainless steel version, not blued. That adds $60 to the price.

And now we have irony, a new thread on a problem in a SA Mil Spec just started.