1911 pattern pistols: 'scallops', or no?

Cut-out 'scallops' in the frame behind the 1911 pattern pistol's trigger. Yea or Nay?

• Having the cut-out 'scallops' is a must for me. They help my shooting

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • The cut-out 'scallops' don't matter to me at all and don't affect my shooting

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • I like the looks of the scallops

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • I prefer how the pistol looks without the scallops

Votes: 12 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chris_B

OK, to start, I know why and when the 'scallops' appeared on the frame, during the change from Model of 1911 to transitional model and ultimately to M1911A1. That's not gonna be my question :)

My question is:

Do you feel the 'scallops' (cut-outs in the frame behind the trigger) are worthwhile, and why? I have an original model of 1911 and a Series 70. I shoot both equally well. I see no actual ergonomic reason for the 'scallops'; my hands are not large and the scallops are a solution looking for a problem in my opinion

What do you think?

David the Gnome

Are you talking about this?

P1370780.jpg

VS.

38super1911.jpg

twhidd

Uh, I never really thought about it. If the scallops don't benefit you and they don't hinder you, then why would you even worry about them? They are what they are. At some point in the past someone thought they were worthwhile, so there they remain.

Don Glock

true, that's certainly a massive number.

my point is what does it matter? it's been on 1911's for about 90 years. it's an ergonomic upgrade. have you even seen a modern one without it? (besides the colt re-issue)

scottl

The part of the frame right behind the trigger.

When I first read it I thought of golf ball or snake skin scalloping vs the cheese grater look.

drail

It helps people with shorter for fingers a lot by keeping them from leaning on the frame. If you have long fingers then it serves no purpose but since the military had to deal with men of all sizes they made the mod.

Kreyzhorse

I like how the scallops look but otherwise, I don't care at all. I'd buy a gun with them or without them if I liked the gun.

lcpiper

I am sorry dude, but I gota file this one under "He should spend more time solving the world peace issue". Hell, at least that one has a chance of getting you laid :cool:

WC145

I see it now. Never paid attention to the "scallops", all my 1911s are new enough that they have that revision so they're just part of the gun, don't know how one feels without them.

Last edited: