1911 noob q's

Te Anau

One more for me in this thread.......
There are much better alternatives in the same price bracket.
Please....please.....please post the links of where we can buy a brand new polished stainless steel 1911 that has all the bells and whistles (including picatinny rail) with the exception of night sites and walk out of the gun store with this gun in hand for a total cost of $545.00

AustinTX

Really?.............Huh

Uh, yeah, really. I didn't say that they erased every negative comment, nor did I claim that they were perfectly consistent about it. But I know people who have had their negative reviews erased, and there are numerous complaints about the practice across numerous gun forums.

I don't think he means better as in more features I'm pretty sure he's talking about the name on the slide.

Yes, I'm referring to the quality of the competition's products. I didn't make any claims or comparisons about "bells and whistles" on the different guns. All of those bells and whistles don't make up for overall low quality. A better-quality gun with fewer features would certainly constitute a better alternative.

zachkuby87

Yeah ill be waiting for the ria because I searched everywhere and yeah there are some ppl well actually a lot of ppl who like taurus but the few that aren't happy are realy mad about them and I can find hundreds of bad customer service complaints and only 1 or 2 compliments to the taurus customer service department. On the other hand its the exact opposite with ria I can find tons of people who are happy with the customer service an no real complaints. I found one guy on youtube who said his ria was having ejection problems and he sent it in when he got it back the problem persisted so he sent it back again and ria sent him a brand new pistol. Now if that's not good customer service I don't know what is.

All of those bells and whistles don't make up for overall low quality. A better-quality gun with fewer features would certainly constitute a better alternative.
Absolutely right. I've seen more than a few problems with the Taurus 1911s. The lock flag is frequently a problem, and taking it out means replacing the hammer. New ones have to be fitted by a smith. I've also seen firing pins crack within the first box of ammunition, and one on which the grip safety was so poorly fitted it would stay engaged after being released.

In comparison, the only problem I've seen is that some of the Rock Island builds don't like hollow-points. The problem seems limited to the compact models, and even then, it's easily fixed.

booker_t

I usually wouldn't tout a Nutnfancy video, but in this case I actually suggest looking it up. If for no other reason than to look over the shoulder of a gunsmith. He took a Taurus 1911 to a smith at Impact Guns, who gave it a fairly thorough tune-up and some modification.

I think that's the key with the Taurus, they're a decent gun but need some TLC and then they can really sing.

However if I were to purchase a Taurus myself, I'd go for the 92, made on the same equipment and with the same expertise that went into the Beretta.

Last edited:

AustinTX

However if I were to purchase a Taurus myself, I'd go for the 92, made on the same equipment and with the same expertise that went into the Beretta.

I agree that the PT-92 is far and away the best bet if you're going to buy a Taurus pistol, but I have to comment on a persistent internet legend whenever I see it: the gun is not made on Beretta tooling. It once was, but both companies have replaced their equipment in the years since 1980, and the workforce is no doubt significantly different now as well. The guns are made on Taurus machinery to Taurus specs, which is why they lack the excellent fit and finish and overall smoothness of the Beretta, but the 92 design is inherently a little more forgiving of loose/imprecise Taurus tolerances than some other designs, so the PT-92s generally seem to work very well.

There are also other differences between the PT-92 and the 92FS that are worth mentioning. To the best that I've been able to determine, the (non-stainless) PT-92 uses 4140 carbon steel for the slide and barrel and not the 4340 and 8640 steels that the non-stainless Beretta 92s use for the slide and barrel, respectively. The carbon steel PT-92 has just a black oxide finish and not the more corrosion-resistant Bruniton finish on the Beretta. For whatever reason, Taurus continues to use the oldest locking block design, which is not nearly as durable on average as the third-generation locking block the Beretta uses; a lot of PT-92 owners buy the $35 locking block from Beretta and swap out the old-style block.

booker_t

AustinTX, for clarification, I meant I would hunt down one of the older 92s that were made on Beretta equipment, if for some reason I felt the urge to buy a Taurus.

Perhaps that added comma after 92 led to the confusion.

Last edited:

AustinTX

Aha, understood. If I ever picked up a PT-92, I too would be much more interested in a nice one from the early 1990s or before than one made today.

Te Anau

I hadn't planned on getting back into this thread,but do want to say to anyone reading this down the road,that Buds gun shop has a great reputation and you should not hesitate for a moment because of some 'THINGS' said earlier in this thread that may make it seem like Buds is dishonest in that they remove negative comments.I have never heard of this or noticed it myself while doing research at Buds.It took me all of 2 minutes to find and post the 5 links that clearly show a range of comments.Three companies that have always treated me well are listed below.

www.aimsurplus.com
&
www.budsgunshop.com
&
www.cdnninvestments.com

zachkuby87

Well I talked to my ffl about having the ria sent to him from buds because he's listed on there site as an ffl they ship to and he said he won't deal with buds anymore I didn't go into detail as to what happened but if he doesn't take deliveries from buds ill jus wait for the ria

OsOk-308

I have and love my Remington R1. It is a little bit over the $500 limit, however if you can spend that little extra, either that or a Springfield Mil-spec will make you very happy. They are solid 1911's. If you insist on going below $500, you can get a pretty solid RIA pistol for around $450 after tax depending on where you live.

Grant D

Save a couple more $'s and get a COLT!
I just bought a used Colt M1991A1 Series 80 Stainless for $600.00 out the door.

Attachments

• colt 45 1.jpg
    colt 45 1.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

zachkuby87

Yeah I set myself a 500 dollar budget and I'm sticking to it. But when I do buy a nice 1000 dollar or more 1911 it will be an s&w my family and friends have owned tons of s&w's of many variations and problems are rare including myself. So that's the route I'm going. I realy want to build my own first then see how it stacks up against the smith.

I respectfully suggest that TODAY $500 is a little too low to give yourself a fair assortment from which to choose. A couple/few years ago, $500 would cover even the "upper" models from most of the Philippine manufacturers, such as the Rock Island Tactical. I've also bought used Colts for right around $500 -- again, a few years ago. I'm basically a Colt guy so I haven't kept rigorous track of prices on the imports, but my sense is that things like the RIA Tactical are now above $500, even at street price. So is the Springfield Mil-Spec.

At an upper limit of $500, you are restricting yourself to lower tier brands and in the GI configuration, the worst aspect of which being sights that are not especially user-friendly.

Save a few more bucks to increase your budget to $600 or $650 and you'll open up a lot more possibilities.