1911 noob q's

zachkuby87

Hey guys so I am completely new to 1911's and rather than go buy a 1000$+ gun and just shoot it I decided I want to buy a cheaper 1911. Shoot it and modify it over time to fit my needs. I'm not looking to build an amazing tack driver this gun is purely for the knowledge and learning experience of inner workings and the science of building a bad ass 1911. I plan to attempt to refinish the gun a some point. I was wondering what you would start with I'm looking to keep the cost of the gun itself under 500 dollars. Thisis the gun I've been eyeballing for the last few days any opinions?http://www.rsrgroup.com/catalog/product/ARM51438FC

Or what would you use?

Mrgunsngear

http://centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911-2011.aspx

I'd go with the above gun. Any Armscor 1911 will suit your needs. They're good firearms with solid frames and slides. The only knock the aficionados will give you is the MIM parts but if you're going to use it for a build, who cares? The reason I'm voting for the railed version is it just gives you extra options. That's just my line of thinking but I know it's not popular with some around here...:p

zachkuby87

Yeah I'm not such a big fan of railed 1911's it just doesn't do such a good looking classic gun any justice imo I have plenty of pistols with rails and I only own 1 laser that I used once took it off and put it away. Though I have been coming around to the full railed 1911's they don't look so bad I've only seen a couple though and they were fully custom guns. Nvm I didn't think that was a full rail lol I posted a reply before I checked your link. I did not know one could be had for that cheap I guess I have some thinking to do. I thought it was gonna look like the railed taurus's whicht look like ****.

Jason_G

Shoot it and modify it over time to fit my needs.

Just to let you know what you're getting into:

Modifying a 1911 does not generally involve "drop in" parts. Most parts have to be fit. There's a lot of hand fitting that goes into a custom 1911. That's why they cost what they do. To say you are going to modify it over time means that you are okay with learning how to do a little basic gunsmithing, and probably purchasing some tools. Some things are easy to replace, but for others, a skilled hand and some knowledge may be prerequisites.

So, let's play this out. You buy a cheap 1911, spend a lot of time and money over the course of some time-frame, putting higher end custom parts into the gun, and when you are done, you have a $400 gun with at least another $400 worth of parts, and if you decide to sell it ever, you will probably get $400 for it.

I'm not trying to dissuade you at all from your plan, but I do want you to have an idea of what you will be getting into. If you're okay with that, then I say go for it, it would be a great learning experience, and you will know what to look for if and when you purchase another 1911. On the other hand, if you don't want to get that involved, either time-wise or money-wise into one pistol, you can see how it might be advantageous to buy a more expensive (ie better built) 1911. Also, don't forget about the used market. You can pick up some top notch gently used semi customs in the kilobuck range, if you are patient.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

ETA: if you decide to buy cheap and modify, get Kuhnhausen's book.

Another edit: have you considered buying a slide and frame from Caspian or STI and building from the ground up?

Jason

Last edited:

zachkuby87

Yeah I'm perfectly ok with investing money I won't be getting back I have no intentions of ever selling it even though that's not always the case but. If its my first build and it turns out nice it'll probably end up in the safe for sentimental value something to show the grandkids one day. I just want a solid base to start off with. I was lookin at taurus and a few others but after some research it looks like the rock island is the way to go for me. What kind of tools am I going to be needing? I'm going t order a brownells catalog are there any other companies I should check out as far as parts and tools go? I'm orderin the gun through my ffl where I get all my other stuff from because his prices and customer service are amazing.
Edit: yeah I looked at sti and caspian but from the looks of it that would be something I would wanna do once I'm a little more experienced and have a few more dollars to spend.

Jason_G

What kind of tools am I going to be needing? I'm going t order a brownells catalog are there any other companies I should check out as far as parts and tools go? I'm orderin the gun through my ffl where I get all my other stuff from because his prices and customer service are amazing.

I would go to the gunsmithing section, and start asking questions there. I would say get Kuhnhausen's manual, look at what you are comfortable doing, and determine what tools you will need from there. I can't tell you what you will need until you know what you plan to do exactly. Different tools for different jobs. If you plan on doing a trigger job, you'd need stones for cleaning up the edges of the ignition parts, if you plan on putting in a new extractor, it will need to be properly tensioned, which may require an extractor tensioning gauge set, etc. You get the picture. The guys in the smithing section could help you out. There are some talented and knowledgeable guys that hang out in that sub-forum.

Jason

zachkuby87

Alright awesome ill give those guys a shout. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully this works out right maybe I can turn building 1911's into a winter hobby cause that's exactly why I'm builing it my summer thing is motorcycles but when there's snow th bike goes away so I need something to keep me occupied

Jason_G

One other thing that you might want to investigate before you spend any money is what the specs are on the dimensions of any pistol you plan on using for the build. I'm sure there are some out there that have oddball dimensions, etc.

Jason

Sarge43

You might also check out the Citadel line of 1911's. They are getting good reviews, and are in your price range.
Good luck!
Sarge

ep2621

Funny you mention a Citadel. I recently purchased an officers model and just got it back from my gunsmith. It wasn't anything wrong with the gun. I just wanted to make mine a little different from the rest. (like the OP)

Sarge

Hunt around for the cheapest used Rock or Auto Ordnance fulls-size, used pistol you can find. Take a hard look at the frame ramp to be sure that some dremel-tard hasn't 'polished' it until it undercuts the barrel throat. Otherwise, you should be good. Be sure and get the Kuhnhausen Book One and study it like you were taking a final exam.

zachkuby87 said:
Thisis the gun I've been eyeballing for the last few days any opinions?http://www.rsrgroup.com/catalog/product/ARM51438FC
The Armscor (Rock Island, or RIA) Tactical is an excellent entry-level 1911, and their customer support is arguably the best in the industry.

zachkuby87 said:
What kind of tools am I going to be needing? I'm going t order a brownells catalog are there any other companies I should check out as far as parts and tools go?
Most fitting for a 1911 can be done with hand tools. A decent set of small "jewelers" files is a good idea. Brownells has a good set, and you can also find a perfectly serviceable set from Harbor Freight Tools. You should have a 1/8" and 3/32" drift punch, and ideally one of each in both steel and brass. Get a bench block. Brownells has them in both plastic and steel. I see a lot of people using the blue plastic one, but I'm old-fashioned -- if I'm hammering steel parts, I want a solid support. Steel for the win.

Definitely a dial or digital caliper. Harbor Freight is fine for this, and whatever caliper is on sale when you get to their web site is probably fine (with one exception -- they occasionally try selling off a model calibrated ON THE DIAL in both 64ths of an inch and hundredths. And that's the problem -- it only reads to hundredths, and you want thousandths.).

Last edited:

k511

ive always had great luck with my mil spec RIA 1911 cant say anything bad about it, for 450 new cant beat it... my springfield mil spec which i was able to find for 550 otd, used but in excellent condition is probably my favorite of my sub 1k 1911's

Carry_24/7

Listen to Jason_G......

With the way you are heading, consider this a tinkering/learning project, and do not be too disappointed if you have continuous problems. Being new to the 1911, on a budget, and looking for a "fixer-upper" is a combination that will probably land you back in the threads because something is wrong with the gun.

zachkuby87

Yes I have no illusions about the project being easy I understand fully that odds are I may take a few trys here and there and I may even have to buy the same part a few times from little screw ups but hey it'll be a fun learning experience and rewarding when all said and done.

Amin Parker

I think you doing the right thing by buying a stock pistol and only changing what you want to. I think thats the way to go and you will more than likely end up with a pistol you enjoy.

I would recommend a Norinco. I have 3 of them and have been very happy.

Good luck.

jimbob86

I have a Charles Daly (KBI), and understand that Armscor is the same operation in the Phillipines ...... the magazines that came with the gun were junk, but replacing them with Wilson 47D's solved that.

Thousands of rounds later, it still works.