1911,M9, Glock

Laker

I have all three types of handguns, and have carried each.These are all great platforms. Was looking at examples of each that I own today. I still like my revolvers best. Just thinking out loud!

iMagUdspEllr

I'm not debating anything. But isn't it annoying how long it takes to reload a revolver (even with speed loaders or moon clips)? Isn't it annoying having only 5-8 shots? Isn't it annoying being stuck with the double-action trigger pull unless you intend to fan the hammer back for each shot?

In my opinion it is a little bit more fun using semi-autos.

Walklightly

I'm not debating anything. But isn't it annoying how long it takes to reload a revolver (even with speed loaders or moon clips)? Isn't it annoying having only 5-8 shots?

How long does it take to load a mag. Of course you can have preload mags ready to go, but it still takes time to load them both.

With my semi's at the range, I load 5 at a time, shoot, mark my shots and repete. I take my time, and make my shot's count from 5 to 2500 shot's.

"But isn't it annoying how long it takes to reload a revolver (even with speed loaders or moon clips)? Isn't it annoying having only 5-8 shots? Isn't it annoying being stuck with the double-action trigger pull unless you intend to fan the hammer back for each shot?"

Yes, yes it is.

In fact, it's SO annoying that I own close to 30 revolvers.

And I have my sights set on at least half a dozen more in the short term.

I hate the damned things. :p

"How long does it take to load a mag."

Excellent point.

lamarw

There were times when I loved my pickup truck, and times I enjoyed my sports car. There are times I like my high performance bass boat and times I want a casual ride in my pontoon boat. Then there are times I like my Smith & Wesson 686 and times I prefer my Beretta 92FS Inox.

Choices based upon how I feel at the time or what my activities will be are nice to have. :)

robctwo

I love both.

At my club we have covered bays. The older ones have concrete floors, the newer ones are still gravel. Sweeping up semi cases isn't bad, picking them out of the gravel is a pain.

Viper225

Scottman
I was just thinking that getting home with all my brass was pretty annoying.

The last defensive pistol match that I fired my 1911 in, probably October. I only managed to recover about 30% of my brass.

Even in a match where you are not allowed to pick up your brass, I still take all my brass home when I pick up my moon clips.

I have a very nice Colt 1911 XSE full size 45 that has quite a bit of custom work. It is a very nice handgun.
I also have some Combat Tupperware in the form of a Springfield XDm 40 Full Size. This was my uniform carry gun when I was Police Chief. It is pretty much stock except for the TFO sights.
I also have a very nice Ruger MK III 4" Hunter. It has the Take Down Bolt installed, Magazine Ejector, Trigger Job, Hogue Grips, etc.

What do I have on while typing this? A 310 Night Guard.
What did I shoot in our December Steel Challange Match? 610 S&W.
What did I bag both of my deer with this deer season? Ruger Super RedHawk in 480 Ruger.
What do I carry for a Pocket Pistol? S&W 638.
What do I carry for a woods gun? 617 or 64 S&W
What do I shoot in our 2-Gun Match when shoot rimfire? Mk III & AR15-22
What do I shoot in our 2-Gun Match when shooting centerfire? XDm & AR15-M4 or 1911 Colt & AR15-4M

I have some nice semi auto handguns, and I shoot them all. But I really like my revolvers. They all have a place.

Bob

Walklightly

"How long does it take to load a mag."

Excellent point.

Seems like I can load 5-8 rounds in a revolver as I can a mag, no wasted energy.

Madcap_Magician

iMagUdspEllr said:
I'm not debating anything. But isn't it annoying how long it takes to reload a revolver (even with speed loaders or moon clips)? Isn't it annoying having only 5-8 shots? Isn't it annoying being stuck with the double-action trigger pull unless you intend to fan the hammer back for each shot?

In my opinion it is a little bit more fun using semi-autos.

I think this is evened out by the irritation of spending all the time I saved reloading my semis from magazines picking up my brass, as opposed to dumping them straight into a bucket from my revolvers.

arch308

One thing you all should note. You can leave a revolver loaded indefinitly with no problems but you must rotate clips to preserve the spring tension. For carry I prefere an auto but for the night stand or glove box a wheel gun is hard to beat.

Nomadicone

I love my semi-autos but I have to say there is something special about the sound (plunk) of dropping a round in the chamber of a big bore revolver that I enjoy hearing.

I've seen some wheel gun shooters at matches load a revolver almost as fast as a magazine reload for a semi. It does take a bit more practice.

Crazy88Fingers

When at the range with friends my revolver spits out a box of 50 rounds faster than their semi-autos. I personally hate loading magazines; it feels like a chore and is just one reason why I don't own a semi-auto.

Sliding six magnum shells into six chambers, on the other hand, is quite nice.

jrothWA

Isn't it annoying, to go to an indoor range...

and not get your brass back?

Isn't it annoying to be at an indoor range and get bounced with others' brass and your not firing a autoloader?

There are distinct advantaged for revolvers, both shooting recreationally and
in competition e.g.: bowling pins, for best control and reloading under time pressure.

kraigwy

I shoot a lot of competition in a club in SD. Action style. I'm not one of them but there are a couple guys there that beat everyone, including in the reloading department, with their revolvers.

Anyone who thinks revolvers are slow, need to take in an ICORE match or two.

44 AMP

Staff
Isn't it annoying when someone else thinks their likes and dislikes are yours?

I'm not debating anything, but I think if you add up all the pros and cons of all the different models and calibers of auto pistols and revolvers, it will come out pretty even.

We've done this before, often. And it always ends the same way. But go ahead, as long as it stays civil. Who knows, maybe this time it will be different.

But, I doubt it.

(*_*)

what do you do about the cylinder bulge with revolver? Really asking. How do you CC it without hurting your side over time.

HighValleyRanch

what do you do about the cylinder bulge with revolver? Really asking. How do you CC it without hurting your side over time.

Depends on the body type.
There are many curves in the body. If the waist goes in, that is a good place for the cylinder bulge. If the waist goes out.......more problems.

Right over the belt line is a good place for the cylinder to hide.

kraigwy

what do you do about the cylinder bulge with revolver?

I wore a heavy revolver (model 28) for 20 years, and after that, near 18 years carrying a J Frame.

You never notice the "bulge".