1911 in 9mm

1006smith

I have recently seen several of these talked about and pictures shown. Not trying to knock anyone for their caliber/gun decisions, but what is the appeal of a 9mm 1911 gun? I realize the 1911 in 9mm will hold more bullets and the recoil will be minimal, but it is a very large gun for the caliber.

Please explain your reason(s) for such a gun.

Chuck

9x19

Hmmm... I like the 9mm cartridge, and I like the 1911 platform... and I have disposable income. :D

If you have trouble understanding the 9mm 1911, I wonder how you feel about about a .17HM2 1911? :p

Jkinkade

I have a Springield 1911 in 9mm,,,,,,custom built for shooting ESP division in IDPA..........the big advantage is it recoils like a 22!!!! (using handloads)

Axel357

Love the feel, function and "shootability" of the 1911 platform. Love the lower cost and recoil of 9mm. I enjoy the two in one package.

KyJim

I have a Colt Commander in 9mm. It is a range gun. I do not consider it a carry gun. Cheaper to shoot than a .45. I figure it will pay for itself after about 15 to 20 boxes of ammo -- a real good excuse for buying another gun.

rsxr22

9mm is cost efficient and enjoyable to shoot. I love the .45 when it is coming out of a 1911, and shooting 9mm or .38 super is just even better! Theres nothing magic about them, but they have less felt recoil then any other gun ive shot

greyson97

50 rounds of 9mm = $9
50 rounds of .45acp = $19
you do the math

also, thats provided you can find .45 on the shelf to buy

JerseyDrez

I plan on looking into a 1911 next year, and if ammo prices are in the same range they are now, I will definitely be looking at a 1911 in 9mm.

For myself, its definitely the cost of ammo more than the cost of the gun, especially being a college student. Sure I can save up the grand for a nice 1911, but ammo is a whole different story. Of course if I was older, had a full-time job that payed well, Id have a bunch of different caliber handguns and wouldnt give two hoots about ammo prices but obviously thats not the case..right now.

In my area, a 50rd box runs about:
$25 for .45
$22 for .40
$15 for 9mm

Enough said.

HorseSoldier

Besides soft recoil/fast handling and cheaper ammo costs, there's the fact if you are comfortable with 9mm for whatever you're using the pistol for, how else are you going to get 1911 control layout and trigger?

44 AMP

Staff
9mm 1911A1

They are very popular in South America, as guns for competition. According to some folks down there, not only do you get the 1911 platform, but you just cannot wear one out.

That's probably an exaggeration, but probably not by much.

KyJim

I figure it will pay for itself after about 15 to 20 boxes of ammo
I just looked at this again. Makes no sense. I would need to shoot about 70 or so boxes for the gun to pay for itself. Oh, well. Too late now. :D

farway

450px-EP-ColtCommander-4.jpg
http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/2/2f/EP-ColtCommander-4.jpg/450px-EP-ColtCommander-4.jpg
Recently posted in another forum on this website about favourite movie guns. Recalled Nick Knolte had a Combat Commander in the movie "Extreme Prejudise". Come to find out through web surfing that this was in fact a 9mm because the .45 that Nick bought for the movie would not feed blanks so they got a 9mm. It wasn't so much the fact that it was a 1911 but the way Nick handled it, no weaver stance for Nick.
I have a Colt Gold Cup in .45. I do not think I could control the rate of fire one handed that was done in the movie, watch it. Maybe a good reason 1911 in 9mm. Good movie.

Last edited: