1911 for under $500, recommendations?

Just a question, what 1911 pistol would you recommend for under $500. I handled a few 1911's at the gun show today and got the itch.:D I honestly never thought I'd own a 45, but I'm contemplating one. I guess there's a first time for everything.:D Right now I'm leaning towards the Springfield G.I 45 or the Mil-Spec 45. The G.I is about $100 less.

Magyar

Why not consider an Argentine Colt .45....It's about as 100% a 1911 as can be, and they are all under $500...Some are better specimens than others, but if you want something "spanking brand-new", the SA's you mentioned would be a good choice.
xf7sro.jpg

Handy

The Springfields seem to be the best bet, and feature the nicest materials for anything at that price. The slide and frame are forged, which is a big bump up in quality over a Amscor/Daly/Rock Island Philipine cheapy.

In new guns, those are going to be the only sub-$500 1911s available. Norincos would be great, but are only legal to import to Canada.

Roberta X

Magyar, would that be a Sistema Colt you're talking about? Who has those at present? I would like to find one.

I've got a Ballester-Molina (and like it a lot) but something a little easier to find parts for would be a nice addition! I really want to get back to shooting a full-sized 1911 in .45 but the price of a good one is just too steep for me.

silver-bullet

I would look for a lightly used Mil-Spec, which should be about the same price as the G.I., new. The Mil-Spec features a VASTLY superior set of sights, and I like the lowered ejection port because it's easier on brass.

Although it may not hit the streets for a while, the new Taurus PT1911 might fall into the price range you're considering.

BobK

Don't forget, you get what you pay for. I have not seen a 1911 for under $500.00 that didn't need at least $200.00 worth of work to bring them up to carry standards. Spend $100.00-$150.00 more and buy a Kimber Classic. When it comes to 1911's, don't skimp.

Mosin44az

I have seen Springfield Mil-Specs recently for $470 or so, that would be my choice. You might compare the features to the G.I. The Mil-Spec does have better sights, and lacks that annoying lanyard ring at the base of the G.I.

Magyar

Roberta X, yes, like other used pistols, the Sistema's might be more plentiful in different parts of the country & I prefer gun shows for used pistols. I mentioned last month that a vendor at our local gun show had IIRC, 6 Sistemas and couple Ball.Molina's. I was kind of surprised since this was a real small show. The problem was he had most of them reconditioned/rebuilt by some firm in Fla and they looked more like a "hodge-podge" than a Colt .45 and they were all over-priced, IMHO, except for one....I currently own two, which is plenty for me, and really enjoy them on the firing range...For CCW, I use a .40 or 9mm mostly for size/wgt considerations.
On used pistols, I advise looking it over and handling it first. Rarely you'll be able to fire it, but close observation in-hand can eliminate a few variables not found by images on the Internet...If you must use the web, GunsAmerica & GunBroker seem to always have a few specimen's, but again; might be a crap-shoot..
Good searching, which is more fun than the actual purchase...;)

springmom

IDK, BobK, I've seen an awful lot of traffic on here about Kimbers having FTFs. I love the looks of one and if I had the money to have one and didn't need to use it as a self-defense weapon, I'd love to have one. But if I was going to get a 1911 I'd look at either the Springfield GI or Mil-Spec or the CZ line. (I really liked that little 2075 I looked at yesterday, although it's in .40 not .45)

Springmom

Eghad

I own a Kimber..other than a problem with 1 magazine it works fine. I own a SA GI Model also....its your best bet under $500.

Sriracha

I've been wondering about this question, too.
I've been turned off of GI type 1911s because of their tiny sights. Now, here's a question for you: is it typically less expensive to get a minimally "loaded" model with modern white dot sights or to get a GI model and change the sights?

- Sriracha

Sarge

You can get a Springfield MilSpec (not to be confused with their "GI" MilSpec) that cones with nice 3-dots, and a lowered ejection port. The only other thing "non GI" on them, aside from the ILS mainspring housing & .38 firing pin, is the Gold Cup-style angled serrations.

Good guns overall, but you have to look 'em over hard before you buy them- just like anything else. They can be tweaked into top-notch shooters.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1525118&postcount=20

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1525123&postcount=21

XavierBreath

The Springfield GI45 dominates the "under $500 1911" category like a grizzly in a chicken coup.

If you have to buy new, and have to stay under $500, get the GI45. If you can spare another hundred, the Mil-Spec offers a lowered and flared port, as well as better sights. If you don't care about your brass, and are going to swap on sights at some time anyway, the GI45 might be the better deal for you. They are equally reliable and durable. Click here to see the differences.

If you want to consider a used 1911, click here to learn how to check one out. There are some screaming deals in the used market, but there are some real pigs too. There are probably more 1911s screwed up by incompetent gunsmithing than any other pistol. You gotta know what you're looking at.

rjs

SA GI- milspec

Buds Gunshop $380.00 w/1 mag. Belt holster & cable lock. Not a bad price.

BobK

Springmom, stay away from Kimbers with ext extractor. Otherwise they are just fine. I have between 8-10 thousand rounds through mine without any major problems. At the gunshop I frequent the Classic Custom is $637.00. I consider that a good price for an all steel gun that will last for a very long time if taken care of properly. I have seen many of the "budget" 1911's that had minor to major problems that required a gunsmith. If buying a 1911 for target practice then go ahead and buy cheap. If for carry or home defense spent a little more. The Springfield Mil Spec that X man mentioned is also a good choice.

Fremmer

You want the lowered ejection port and the better sights. Don't take the aftermarket route on the sights; it'll just cost more and be more of a pain in the long run.

You'll probably have to save a little more to get one new with the above-mentioned features. It will be worth it. And avoid a full-length guide rod.

Thanks for all the great advice guys.:D I'll probably pony up the extra money for the SA Mil-Spec, that seems like the "best" choice feature for dollar wise. I'm just looking for a reliable, accurate, and durable 1911 for home defense and target shooting, I don't need anything fancy or elaborate. I think the Mil-Spec would fill the bill.