1911 ejects into forehead

g.willikers

On a recent Guntalk show, a listener called in with the same complaint - getting hit in the head with brass.
The show host, Tom, answered it like this:
He said it was a non issue.
Just stay focused on shooting and ignore it.
And wear a hat, in addition to safety glasses and ear protection, of course.

Bad advice, IMHO. The rearward toss of the brass is not a precision event, so the brass can't be counted on to always go where it's harmless. I got a burn above my right eyebrow one time when a hot case from the guy to the left of me landed between the frame of my shooting glasses and my head and stayed there until I could get my glasses off. I've also had them fall inside my shirt collar at matches, go into pockets, and otherwise cause mayhem. I don't need a hot brass shower.

The limp wrist theory is for real. I once watched a woman at her first (and probably last) bullseye match (offhand grip; no two-handing) get her head pinged by her boyfriend's 1911 repeatedly. Black marks all over her forehead. When her boyfriend tried the gun, no problem. Cases went where they were supposed to. What happens is that recoiling rotation of the gun up and back lets the rearward movement of the frame help the hand absorb some of the recoil energy the recoil spring is supposed to deplete first, so ejection is very weak. I suspect the ejector barely gets the case out of the extractor, so the right side of the ejection port smacks the case from below, sending it up and back. That's why lowering an ejection port can sometimes clear it up.

Some solutions have been mentioned. I'll add that installing a Commander style ejector will get the case moving out even when slide recoil is weak. Adding a square bottom firing pin stop will reduce muzzle flip, so the rearward momentum is no longer there to be imparted in a serious degree. Otherwise, you just need to tune extractor and perhaps change recoil springs and be firmly behind the gun.

Hawg

I had one that would do that with two or three cases out of every mag. I changed extractors and fixed it.

g.willikers

Did anyone mention a clocking extractor as a cause for having to duck flying brass?

And another vote for increasing extractor tension to cure dented brass from a standard port height slide.
No need for the dremel.

spacemanspiff

My Kimber started hitting me in the forehead with brass with the last round out of a mag every now and then. Started noticing those cases were dented. Tried a lot of different solutions. New mags, variety of different mags, recoil springs, heavy springs, standard springs.
It got so bad that that occasionally the case wouldnt clear the port at ejection, and create a jam that was not fun.
This was on about 7 out of 10 magazines ran through the Kimber.

Took it to a friends shop, they said 'Kimbers have really high ejectors, we'll have it shaved down, that should fix it.'

Which I let them do, but never made sense. Had the gun since 2003, why would it just NOW start chewing the case mouth of the last round of a magazine? The gun wasnt defective, it had to be something was worn, right?

But few of the 'experts' agreed and the very last thing to try was a new extractor. Something that used to be stocked in every gunshop, but not anymore.
So I took it to another friends shop, he put a new extractor in it, and ran some mags thru, though I have yet to make it to the range to see if that solved the problem.

Ifishsum

The extractor does rotate a little bit - the next Midway order I place will include a new firing pin stop. I did compare the extractor on this one to the Colt, worked on the nose a little bit and readjusted tension - it now grips the case like the Colt, we'll see if that helps some.

polyphemus

My Kimber started hitting me in the forehead with brass with the last round out of a mag every now and then. Started noticing those cases were dented. Tried a lot of different solutions. New ma
gs, variety of different mags, recoil springs, heavy springs, standard springs.
None of the above would resolve the issue.
Took it to a friends shop,
This made it even worse.
The gun wasnt defective, it had to be something was worn, right?
Wrong,something needed to be adjusted.
So I took it to another friends shop
More trips to your friends' shops,maybe this one knows what he's doing.
Good luck.