1911 Disconnector Recommendations

laytonj1

You win Jim...

That was not my intent. My point was MIM is a process not a final part. Not all MIM parts are made equal. Depending on application different alloys are used. Comparing a MIM connecting rod to a MIM gun part is apples to oranges.

Jim

James K

Member In Memoriam
Just curious, but (aside from asking) how does one tell the difference between an MIM part made from the proper steel, etc., and a plain old cast part made to the best cap gun quality? The ejector pin marks and the part look the same to me.

Jim

DT Guy

In this instance, there are visible molding marks, some of which include small alpha characters, which could NOT have been machined (reasonably); the overall cast lines and these marks are indicative of MIM, as I understand. Here's the slide stop from the same gun:

Larry

X-ray spectroscopy to determine if the alloy is a good one and lacking undesirable impurities. X-ray diffraction or sectioning and prepping and electron microscope examination of grain structure. A specific gravity test on your scale should tell you if its hollow anywhere and is cheaper than those other tests to arrange for. Striking with a hardness testing file would let you know if they got it so hard it is brittle. Sorry there's no trick with a magnet or anything that I am aware of.

Reputation means something. People either know how or they don't.