1911 Design flaw or malfunction?

sw627pc

I still think the slide stop is too loose. Both my Combat Commander and Kimber require more force than just pushing on the end of the pin to remove during takedown. I normally have to "wiggle" the slide stop just a bit (getting it to release the plunger) to get them out. While I agree the purpose of the plunger and "dimple" is to hold the slide stop down, they also tend to hold it IN when properly configured. For some reason a lot of newer 1911 pattern guns I've examined have a very shallow dimple in the slide stop. My Commander finally (last year) wore out a slide stop (from 1972 to now) and it needed replaced (it was slipping past the mag follower and not holding the gun open - also jammed the mag in the gun). Put in a Wilson's "bulletproof" stop and it is just as tight as the original.

hammer4nc

I agree with sw's comments. Once shot a 1911 whose plunger tube was so dirty that the plunger pin stuck in place, would not push on the slide stop. Fired a round and the slide stop was ejected 10' to the left! I'm glad the whole slide assembly wasn't launched downrange! I, too, have to wiggle the stop to remove it.