1911 Design flaw or malfunction?

Poplin

I know, the 1911 has been around for more than 89 years and any design flaw must have been worked out by now. But I just noticed a problem...

I am right handed and have somewhat short fingers. When not firing, I rest my trigger finger on the side of the frame on top of the "button" that is the right side of the slide stop. When racking the slide to chamber a round, it is very easy for me to press the slide stop a millimeter or so to the left when the slide stop relief cut on the left side of the frame lines up. This is enough to completely jam the gun. This is not a problem when the slide cycles when firing, since my trigger finger is occupied pulling the trigger.

Is my slide stop just too loose? Or is it a problem that many people have?

Cheapo

I noticed it, too. If it's a factor for you, just knurl the end of the slide stop pin so it's more of a friction fit in the right side of the frame. Or get creative and install a tiny spring and ball on the left side of the pin, to engage just barely inside the left frame's wall.

You *could* call it a design defect. Note that SIGs and many other later-generation semiautos do not use that design.

Nomex shorts mode on. But remember, it IS a fairly old and otherwise rather proven design.

MPower

Hey..light bulb just went on...

I saw in a magazine that gunsmith Dave Lauck had cut the round end off the slide stop and finished it fluch with the slide the frame. It requires a simple punch or whatever to push it out. Both the author and I could not figure out why he did this, I think that you found the answer! You might try aqquiring or fabricating this part for yourself.

Best
John

9mmepiphany

i had the same thought :confused: when i saw the modification in the same mag, now i understand...although i've never had this problem. also note that the area around the flush pin has been relieved/beveled to allow pushing the pin out.

another, cheaper :eek:, idea might be to index the top of the fingernail of the trigger finger against the pin...no presure, no pushy, no stoppy :D

sw627pc

A simpler fix is to simply deepen the "dimple" on the slide stop lever that engages the spring tension unit. It shouldn't push out THAT easily.

bk40

I thnk it was on a Kim Ahrends 1911 I first saw the slide stop pin recessed and chamfered... took me a while to figure out the usefulness of that mod but I've since had it done to most of my 1911s... Murphy's law and all

BBBBill

Shorten to flush or near flush. Chamfer, but not too deep. Remember that you are removing part of the right side support for the slide stop. Mention that because I saw one extremely radical (more is better?)chamfer job. Owner didn't know it, but the hole was beginning to peen out from loss of bearing area. Little dab 'll do ya'.

Also, most slide stops are now cast. This leaves a small radius at the juncture of the lever & cross pin. The slide stop will not fit flush on the left side on some guns without a SMALL chamfer there also. A less than 90 degree angle between the pin/lever will create a spring effect causeing the pin to move to the left at the slightest excuse (touch it on the right end). You could try to bend it straight, but it's best to replace with a quality part (cast or forged). Put the "dimple" in the end that engages the stop plunger and you'll be good to go.

[Edited by BBBBill on 12-21-2000 at 09:43 AM]

BigG

Don't think anybody mentioned this, so here goes...

Poplin,

Please before you take any of that other well-meant advice:

You either have a bad slide stop or you are missing the spring loaded plunger that holds the slide stop in place from the left side. you should not be able to move the slide stop no matter how hard you push on the button.

Hope this helps.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, BigG,

I don't know what kind of 1911 type you have, but the GI slide stop plunger is not intended to keep the slide stop in the frame, only to keep it down unless the magazine follower overrides it and pushes the stop up. When the stop is in the down position, it is easily pushed out when the slide notch lines up with the inside lug on the slide stop. It is that lug that keeps the slide stop in place at all other points.

I agree that riding the end of the slide stop pin is a bad habit and should be gotten over. But note that S&W recessed the right hand end of the stop on their pistols after a tight holster pushed the slide back while pressing the slide stop to the left. The cop who had just received his new pistol and holster died trying to click a bad guy to death.

Jim

Gopher .45

This is one of those things where "design flaw" is confused with "user error" terminology quite likely. Your slide stop must move pretty freely to push out during those times or you are exerting a goodly amount of pressure on it. If it is stainless, simply use some 200 grit sandpaper to reduce the length and then polish with 400 and then 600 grit.

BBBBill

See my comment in earlier post r.e. angle between the lever & pin. This is EXTREMELY common. If it's not 90 degrees, it WILL spring away from the frame. Don't understand the original post though. My hands are medium sized & I can't ride the pin with my trigger finger. None the less, some good comments here. Just start with the simplest first.

BigG

Hi Jim, OK. I see where you are coming from, but... I have never pushed out my slide stop pin on quite a number of COLT GMs/Gold Cups/Commanders as well as an official Model of 1911A1 US Army pistol. The only person who insisted I keep my finger on "the button" was some IPSC yokel. Guess I just don't have the finger strength of Poplin and some of you other guys. *grin* Besides, when you rack that puppy how many nanoseconds is that lug and the little cutout lined up?
One thing I DO know is that I am not 1) cutting the ends off any slide stop pins, or 2) chamfering a COLT frame! BTW the pin hole is a bearing surface and if it is thinned out too much it may cause the frame to fail. I love my babies too much to hurt em! You guys can do what you want!

To quote Jeff Cooper (who DOES NOT speak for me, but does have a memorable quote or two from time to time) "That sounds like a solution to a non-existent problem."

Best regards and Merry Christmas to y'all! :)

Poplin

Alright, alright. I know John Moses would never have passed on something with a DESIGN FLAW to us humans. :) I am also trying never to contact the slide stop with my finger.

I inspected my Series 80 Colt further and referenced my various manuals. I think my problem is just a loose slide stop. I don't have any other 1911's to compare it to, but I guess that any tightly-fitted gun would not have this problem. Indeed, my Kahr K9 is of the short-recoil Browning design--its slide stop could also (theoretically) have the same problem. But, it doesn't since it is very tight and usually takes a tap with a hammer to get the slide stop off.

But, I also guess that this problem, however small, is present on many "looser" 1911's.