1903 Springfield Sporter, Researched, Unusual? Please Weigh In!

HiBC

I appreciate the knowledge of those who are contributing.
I built a copy of a 1903A4 (AIM Surplus Drill Rifle receiver.) and put a Lyman Alaskan on it,post and crosshair.
I really like the scope! FWIW,I set mine up with both rings behind the trurrets,just like this rifle. Eye reliefe is perfect,and the forward position of the ocular permits the GI safety to be fully functional without modification.

And that classic old Springfield Sporter ............

Should be a centerfold!!

Nice! That is the roots of the modern bolt sporting rifle.(IMO)

Thank you!

Last edited:

Rabid1

I'm still curious about the "P" stamp on the barrel. It doesn't have a circle around it. Is that normal?

P-Stamp_zpsevgebkgj.jpg

Have to run to the range this morning. I'll see what Brophy and Campbell says.

Rabid1 - I'm with you on investigating mysteries. Since your rifle falls within the category of Arsenal sporterized Springfields, it is a mystery as to the G&H's installation. Since G&H sold its mount (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong as to G&H sales practice), it could have been done by any number of gunsmiths who had access to a lathe (to make a mandrel for the receiver) and a milling machine (to do the actual drilling and tapping of the receiver).

From Crossman's Book of The Springfield I learned that the receiver was made in 1935 (see page 34). 1935 was a year that Springfield only made 27,7259 receivers but not any complete rifles (see Brophy, page 425). No NRA Sporter rifles were made in 1935 but in 1938 twenty-nine were produced (see Brophy, page 427). However, your serial number is outside the block of serial #s shown by Brophy (1,406,315 to 1,408,446) for DCM sales of NRA Sporters (page 427). The other unusual feature is yours has a barrel band retaining spring, a feature not used in NRA Sporters but found on the much earlier International Match1921 "free rifles" which were heavy barrel target rifles (but your serial number puts it way past that era). Unlike your rifle, the "free rifles" had grasping grooves in the forearm (see Brophy 105-33).

The Circle P on the grip indicates the rifle was successfully proofed (See Canfield An Illustrated Guide to the '03 Springfield Service Rifle, page 33). The stamping on the stock below the magazine cutoff, SA/SPG in the rectangle indicates it was inspected by Springfield Armory's Stanley P. Gibbs (Canfield p 107). Unfortunately, Canfield's book neither covers the 1930s production of the rifle nor the sporter versions of the rifle.

That gas escape hole on the left hand side of the receiver is known as the Hatcher Hole, after (Gen.) Julian Hatcher. In event of a ruptured cartridge, gas could escape through this hole instead of back into the shooter's face.

I checked over Campbell's The '03 Era and found nothing on the '30s NRA sporters. He had plenty of information on the earlier sporters and target rifles.

Last, regarding the similar rifle, its serial # was 1,398,xxx and per the DCM paperwork it was picked up at the armory by the buyer, a colonel assigned to there. He paid $16.50 for it (because of the aforementioned defective/loose front sight).

Thank you for a most enjoyable thread. Like yourself I love research. Too bad there's no paperwork for your rifle.

Rabid1

Gary, you've been amazing! Thank you for all your research.

This rifle still seems to have more questions than answers, but I also enjoy searching for them.

Rick

RC20

You run into all sort of unusual configurations so nothing should be a surprise

I have my Step Dads fathers gun, a 1920s era 1903.

At one time it was tapped for the A5 scope, right spacing and all.
All on the front of the barrel.

In this case the throat is worn a fair amount (5 TE)

All you can do is guess someone had it for a target rifle and then when accuracy started to go, sold it.

My Step dads father was associated with building Army bases and it would seem the gun had been military or owned by an officer.

Rabid1

After more research it appears this rifle was built in 1937. It falls into that period right after they resumed production in 1937. (see below)

1932‑1404026‑1425933
1933‑1425934‑1441811
1934‑1441812‑1491531
1935‑1491532‑1496022
1936‑PRODUCTION TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED
1937‑1496023‑1510387
1938‑1939‑1510388‑1532878

Additionally, I'm told it has this designation in the DCM:
1498077a1nm 033039dcm rifle sales 1922-42

So it was manufactured in 37, and sold in 39.

Does this have any significance?

supercub99

As are many, it's an interesting piece. They don't all fit in nice little boxes as someone I know recently pointed out.....they may have started out in life in a defined box but were changed down the road.

I think your rifle falls into that latter category. I believe from most of the characteristics that it started life as a National match rifle. The star gaged barrel, the butt plate, the numbers on the parts, CV, NS and the drawing numbers etc all point to that, the Lyman 48 included.
The stock is not NM or isn't now, nor is the side mount and scope. I believe the stock was or began life as a full C stock that was later cut down. Although there was a stock produced like yours with the front band spring, it was a grasping grove style. T
he front barrel band is not one I've seen from Springfield, I have seen this on modified rifles a couple times though.

According to Clark S Campbell, page 103 indicate there were 1,020 NM rifles made in fiscal 1937.

And finally, your info

"DCM:1498077a1nm 033039dcm rifle sales 1922-42"

Indicates it is a NM rifle and was sold in 1939 through the dcm. What happened to it after that is pure speculation, one or more could have done all or parts of the modifications to that rifle. At this point its a very cool rifle and does have value although as a collectable of what it began as, not so much.

Thanks for sharing it!

supercub99

To take it one step further, here is an example of a NM a little earlier but representative of what your would have looked like when made.

https://www.joesalter.com/category/...onal-Match-Rifle-1903A1-From-WW2-Vet-s-Estate

Note, your 1498077a1nm rifle translated means your serial number, the type designation and description; 1903A1 which stood for in a C stock and nm, was National Match. 1903A1 designated a 1903 in a full C stock vs an S or straight stock, the switch was about 1929.

HiBC

I'm not suggesting the subject rifle is anything else besides an NRA Sporter.

Other period Springfield conversions of the time offer ideas and inspirations.
I'm saying a gentleman with a nice NRA Sporter might look at the Griffin and Howe Sporter or a Sedgley Sporter, see ideas with merit,then execute what,at the time,were good faith upgrades.

Its possible that G+H mount was installed by G+H.

I'm not a collector. I understand any deviation from a box stock NRA Sporter might degrade the value to the collector market........

However, for the period,that is an elegantly UPGRADED NRA Sporter, IMO.

The G+H mount and Lyman Alaskan were top of the line. The work is well done. The provenance would be interesting!!

James K

Member In Memoriam
A G&H mount could have been installed by any gunsmith; they weren't too common because they were expensive. Also, did anyone notice the "extra" hole at the front of the base. It looks like either there had been another mount on there or someone kept messing up and moving the holes. Maybe you can tell from a look inside, but I would remove the base and see what damage has been done and how many holes there are.

Jim