1884 Springfield Trapdoor

Maj Dad

Very nice, and a heckuva good price! I had an 84 that had been bubba'd real badly - buddy gave it to me at Ft Bragg in '74. That sucker shot something like 2+ feet high at either 50 or 100 yds, whatever the range at McKeller's Lodge was. I have a '73, and shot 405 gr lead slugs that were very accurate & on target, but found out the 84 sights were calibrated for 500 gr slugs. I finally sold or traded it off and kept the 73, which was used during the Spanish American war according to Springfield Research Service. You might consider checking with them to see where it might have been...

RiponP90: I shot both of mine with black powder & had a blast (haha), but got tired of the cleaning hassle, and switched to very modest smokeless powder loads. Unique, 2400, Red Dot, stuff like that is safe provided your rifle is in good condition. Lyman & other manuals list loads, and I never go max, rarely much above starting. I have modern rifles for fast bullets; this is for fun ;) I shoot the Lee 405 RNFP lead sized to 458 or 459 - don't remember - and on rare occasions a 300 gr JFP/JHP. I was advised to minimize jacketed bullet use to be kind to the mild steel in the barrel, so I usually do. I haven't shot 50 jacketed bullets in it in over 40 years! But, by all means, shoot it - they are loads of fun, and you'll have a crowd watching if you use a public range. But, it is best to let a gunsmith lay an eye on it if you're not comfortable assessing it yourself. Good luck!
George J.

Doc Hoy

My first trapdoor....

.....was a cadet model. It was in bad cosmetic shape but the action and bore were quite good.

Dragonflydf

Here is my pair of Trapdoors, and yes, that is a original 1873 Carbine.

10556500_1485907491649329_7350641078523232914_n.jpg