1884 Springfield Trapdoor

Tidewater_Kid

Purchased a larger gun safe this week and so, need something else.

I found this at a show this weekend. Missing the mainspring, cleaning rod and the top band is missing the sling and stacking swivels.

Bore is in excellent conditional and I already replaced the mainspring and found a nice original cleaning rod. I paid $450 for the rifle and I was VERY pleased. Can't wait to shoot it. Black Powder rounds for me!

Here are some pictures.
1884-Springfield-6.jpg

1884-Springfield-7.jpg

Attachments

• 2016_03200009.jpg
    2016_03200009.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 2016_03200010.jpg
    2016_03200010.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

tahunua001

nice. there aren't many trapdoors here, and usually anything older than 1900 is priced above $1000 no matter how crappy the condition.

Tidewater_Kid

Thanks. I was very surprised at the price. He had two more that were priced much higher. Because the mainspring was broken is the reason he gave for this one being priced at $495. I offered $450 and left with it.

TK

RiponP90

I have one of these! They are so cool, it is like holding a piece of history...because you are haha. Yours is in much better shape in terms of the finish. Mine has become extremely dark over the years. I haven't fired it, a bit scared. I was talking to a local guy that said I should probably make my own loads for it. Some other people said as long as it is not smokeless powder I should be ok. Alas, I don't want my face blown off so it will probably remain on the mantle for the remainder of my life.

l.cutler

Great deal! Yours is a cadet model, even though they are rarer than the regular infantry rifle they often sell for less. I guess because of the "stigma" that it isn't a combat rifle.

Last edited:

Hunter Customs

I have one, it's complete with everything including the bayonet.
I shot it a couple of times, heck of a good old rifle.
I have an extra bayonet for one.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Tidewater_Kid

Thanks guys. I don't think it's a cadet model as the barrel is the correct length for the rifle and the stock does not have the long wrist of the cadet. What am I missing?

TK

l.cutler

Sorry, I was thinking that an infantry rifle of that serial number would be one of the sliding rod bayonet rifles, but yours must be one of the very latest produced without. You can post over on trapdoorcollector.com, they are the gurus on trapdoors. I'd say you paid about half price!

Last edited:

Tidewater_Kid

l.cutler,

From what my book says, this one was made in 1890 and that was a transition year to the rod bayonet 1888 model.

I'm very pleased with the rifle for what I paid for it. I never sell my collection, so I just saved myself some money!

TK

Dragonflydf

RiponP90
You are missing out on something if all you do is leave it hanging on the wall. get some dies and load up some blackpowder loads, go to the range and let that Trapdoor roar. Nothing like lots of smoke to put a smile on a face.

James K

Member In Memoriam
That rifle has the sling swivel on the trigger guard; cadet models up to the Model 1888 had no sling swivels at all, since (don't ask me why) cadets were not allowed to sling their rifles. That changed with the Model 1888 cadet rifle, which had sling swivels in both locations, but I don't know if the cadets were allowed to use them. The barrel length is easily checked; the cadet rifle has a 29 1/2" barrel; the standard rifle has a 32 5/8 inch barrel.

The change to the Model 1888 (round rod bayonet) took place in mid-1890, probably about mid-August, since some 5000 of the Model 1884 were made in FY 1891 and production ran about 3000 per month.

One point of interest. The books break down production by fiscal year because that is the way Ordnance Reports were made. The FY ran six months ahead of the calendar year (CY), (the 1890 FY ran from July 1, 1889 to June 30, 1890), but the inspection cartouche date was the CY.

Jim

highpower3006

That is a very nice Trapdoor. I have it's brother made in the same year and about 5000 units earlier. Mine was issued to the New Jersey Militia at some point in it's life.

IMG_1812-L.jpg

IMG_1800-L.jpg

Tidewater_Kid

Nice looking rifle highpower3006!

This one has a 15 Rack number by the butt plate and a G and an 1 behind the tang.

Not sure of the meaning on the G and 1.

Attachments

• 2016_03250005.jpg
    2016_03250005.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 28

James K

Member In Memoriam
The rack number and the G/1 are not factory markings, and stamping rack numbers on rifles was generally banned in U.S. service (they could be painted on). I suspect those markings were put on by some military academy.

Jim