1851 navy help

armoredman

I load my brasser 1851 lightly, 20 gr of 3F, and it does OK. However, it gets shot about every three years.

auVtUHB.jpg

gwpercle

I load my brasser 1851 lightly, 20 gr of 3F, and it does OK. However, it gets shot about every three years.

auVtUHB.jpg
In my mind the 1851 Navy Colt is still a "sexy" good looking revolver that handles well .
I wish I had one in Stainless Steel , wouldn't be a traditional look but it would be all steel and easy to maintain .
Gary

bedbugbilly

OP - I own many C & B revolvers - been shooting '51 Navies for 60 years and while I have both Uberti and Pietta in pretty much all models, the '51 Navy is still my favorite. I have a number of Uberti '51 Navies and also have one of the Leech and Rigdon models - as pointed out, the only difference in them (Uberti) is octagon verses round barrel. Balance and feel is pretty much the same - if you were blind folded, you couldn't tell the difference. I bought the Leech & Rigdon about two years ago - a very nice revolver and the action was like butter right out of the box.

Colt made a few '51 Navies (I believe 1st Model?) that had a square back Dragoon style trigger guard. Uberti made a few like that - haven't seen any produced for a number of years. I have one of the Uberti '51 Navy with the square back trigger guard. I HATE the trigger guard because if I shoot 50 or 60 rounds out of it, the square back guard hammers the devil out of my finger that is adjacent to the square back trigger guard - and I don't have large hands. The round style trigger guard gives me no issues at all.

If you like the '51 Navy - and I am a great lover of that model - you would like either the '51 Navy or the Leech & Rigdon - all depends on which barrel you like best - both are great revolvers.

Good lick and enjoy!

RED beard92 said:
Why are yall suggesting a '58 or a '60 for my first black powder? I was thinking 36 cal would also be my better start because it will use less powder....
I think "yall" refers to one post, by Jim Watson.

I believe what he's saying is that you should get a '58 or a '60 if what you want is a .44 caliber firearm, because that's what those were originally made in. The '51 Navy was originally a .36 caliber firearm. For whatever reason, the Italian clone makers offer versions of a gun styled like the '51 Navy but chambered in .44 caliber -- essentially, nice "copies" of a firearm that never existed. If what you want is a .36 caliber, the '51 is the right choice for you, and it's historically correct.