1851 navy help

RED_beard92

I'm looking into getting a black powder 1851 Navy by Uberti but I'm having a hard time understanding the models. I can't seem to find anything that tells me the difference between the "Oval Trigger Guard" and the "Leech-Rigdon" style.

From what I have found Leech and Rigdon made around 1,000 for the confederates, but I can't see any difference between the 2. What are the differences and what would you consider to be the better model?

Jim Watson

Look closer.
The Leech and Rigdon has a round "dragoon" style barrel, the Colt is octagonal.
Both are Uberti, they are the same gun except for the barrel contour.

gwpercle

The traditional is the octagon barrel ... the Leech & Rigdon is the Confederate copy with round barrel . To my eye the Octagon barreled Colt looks better but that's just me .
My first handgun was a brass framed 1851 Colt EMF reproduction .
Brass frames do not hold up for extended shooting ... we had so much fun shooting it ... the frame stretched , cylinder arbor loosened so much it wobbled and the wedge opening broke ... If I had it to do over ... I would buy a steel framed revolver ... brass will not hold up to even a moderate amount of shooting ...mine didn't anyway !
Gary

Doc Hoy

What Gary said...Plus

I think that Gary's description would fit most of us who became interested in BP revolvers. It certainly matches my experience.

I own 30 plus cap and ball revolvers. Mostly steel frame, three Colt second gens, the 1860 Manuf. in Belgium under Colt license, two Rugers, three different calibers, Colt, Remington, Rogers and Spencer, Gunnison Griswold, Leech and Rigdon, A Walker and two Dragoons.

I have tried all of the techniques for tightening arbors on brass frame 1851s with no success (I am not a gunsmith but I am not a dummy).

My reaction is that if you are just starting out, get an 1858 Remington replica. Second choice would be a steel 1860 Colt. Start in .44 cal. Buy a new one rather that second hand.

Last edited:

RED_beard92

Why are yall suggesting a '58 or a '60 for my first black powder? I was thinking 36 cal would also be my better start because it will use less powder....

I'm new to the blackpowder scene but I have decades of experience with modern stuff. Anything too look out for besides the brass frame stuff?

Doc Hoy

Clarification

When we say, "58"or "60" we mean, 1858 Remington or 1860 Colt, I like 44 caliber because it is a more emotional shooting experience.

There is no BP pistol I do not like. That is my problem. I like everything.

The discussion of Remington versus Colt is the Ford-versus-Chevy of cap and ball revolvers. Almost every time it comes up, at least one of the participants will assert, "Don't get me started!!..."

The Remington design provides a more even distribution of the forces in the pistol, while the Colt is a prettier pistol (IMNSHO), and treated correctly, the 1860, and 1851 are both good choices. My recommendation of the Remington rests on the premise that for a shooter who is new to BP revolvers, the Remington is a more forgiving platform.

In the end the decision is yours to make, but if you opt for the Colt, you will likely have a Remington within about a year. (Or vice versa).

Hellgate

My first C&B revolver was an 1861 Navy 36 by Uberti. It has had many thousands of rounds through it and is as tight as when new. I used it for plinking small game hunting, trap line and eventually Cowboy Action Shooting. If you want a little more oomph you can buy a LEE 36 cal conical mold for a 130 gr bullet in lieu of the 82 gr ball. Otherwise the 36 will suit you well. The 36 navies are ballistically closer to the 380 Auto whereas the 44s are closer to a 38 Special.

gwpercle

Why are yall suggesting a '58 or a '60 for my first black powder? I was thinking 36 cal would also be my better start because it will use less powder....

I'm new to the blackpowder scene but I have decades of experience with modern stuff. Anything too look out for besides the brass frame stuff?
The 1858 Remington has a solid frame with steel running across the top of the frame . This adds to the strength of the gun and it can be fired a lot more without shooting loose .
I bought a brass framed 1851 Navy Colt but if I were going to do it again would spring for the 58 Remington ... you can shoot them untill the cow's come home .
Gary

RED_beard92

Apparently my mind isn't so made up. Haha. And thanks to Doc Hoy I'm now looking at the 1858 Remington. So I'm gonna start a new thread about my 1st black powder because we're getting off the original topic.

Doc Hoy

Red

If you do a search in the forum, you will find about a billion posts on BP revolvers with wisdom and experience that far exceeds mine. You came to the right place.

Attachments

• Pistols b.jpg
    Pistols b.jpg
    635.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Hawg

The Remington top strap really doesn't make it that much stronger than the Colt. ALL Uberti's have short arbors. If you want a gun that's going to be shot a lot and you want repeatable accuracy you will need to correct it. It's not hard to do. Pietta's on the other hand have correct arbor lengths.

armoredman

I am very fond of my Uberti Remington New Model Army.

EjImjau.jpg

Experimenting with paper cartridges now. Stupidly unlubed did well at 10 yards.

6ycinF4.jpg

wjGMHok.jpg

Dipped wax lubed for new trip. There is nothing like the Holy Black. Welcome to the party.

FbT2gS4.jpg

Doc Hoy

I agree with the Venerable Hawg...

...not that my opinion means anything...

In some ways it is the brass frame that gives the Colt replica (by other titles) designs a bad name.