.17 Mach 2?

taylorce1

Simple ballistics tells me the .17 HM2 drifts less in the wind than .22 LR. Even if the bullets had the same BC the faster one drifts less. Also currently the 17 HM2 is about 10-12 cents cheaper on average to shoot than the .17 HMR and .22 WMR.

44 AMP

Staff
Simple ballistics shows simple things, like one drifts less than the other. If you stop there, then obviously less drift is the superior round.

But take another step and look at how much less drift there is, and even more importantly, is it something the shooter can use? or use easily??

I don't have the numbers for the various .17s but just look at the base concept, of "less is more". It is more, IF it provides some useable advantage, otherwise,, not so much.

You have to be able to compensate for drift (and drop) no matter what it is, if its anything other than zero (which, on Earth, it will be) so, since that is the case, compensating for 1" drift vs 1.4" drift or 2" drift involves exactly the same thing differing only in amount. Knowing what amount you need to compensate for with what ever you are shooting is more important than the difference in drift between different cartridges.

Put another way, if you need to hold off 3" for a .22 but only 1" for a .17, you still have to hold off, and be able to hold off (or adjust for) that much at the given range. If you can do that correctly for one round, you should be able to do it correctly for a different round. If you can't flatter trajectories and less wind drift aren't going to help much.

stagpanther

Almost spooky--after posting #20 earlier today--I received notice that Lapua has introduced a new "super long range" 22lr which they say is "phenomenal" (I didn't notice any quantification of what "phenomenal" is) out as far as 300 meters and beyond. It seems to be of the "exit the muzzle at transonic camp" but apparently they've made a significant gain in bullet design. I'll try it if I can ever get my hands on some.

9x19

I have a few firearms chambered in .17 HM2, and they are a much better pill for small game than the .22LR.. and it's pretty dang good.

I had a Summit receiver with a Beyer barrel for a time, but never really warmed up to it. That barrel is back on a 10/22 receiver (using a Volquartsen HM2 bolt).

I now have four semi-autos and one bolt gun, but I've been a fan of the round since it was introduced in the Ruger 77/17, and have owned numerous other guns chambered for it over the years.

Good luck and have fun.

stagpanther

CCI Standard Velocity is the extent of my special 100 yard 22 LR ammo. I did see an article about Shot Show 2023 about Norma Extended Long Range 22 LR ammo: https://www.ssusa.org/content/best-o... 300 yards.
Cutting Edge made a similar claim about their solid high BC bullets--and I bet there are some shooters that are getting that. I bought a boatload of them thinking that if you can consistently hit 12" at 600 yds, you should be able to get near 1 MOA at 200 to 300. I've never succeeded with my reloads, though I have a few times got MOA or under with RWS factory ammo under absolute calm conditions (dawn or dusk).

Last edited:

taylorce1

44 AMP said:
But take another step and look at how much less drift there is, and even more importantly, is it something the shooter can use? or use easily??

It bucks the wind enough to be advantageous over other HV .22 lr rounds at 100 yards on small game and vermin. It has a similar trajectory and drift as a .22 WMR with 30 grain V-Max bullets, but averages better than $5 cheaper per 50 rounds. $80-90 a brick isn't that much more than some of the better .22 lr offerings.