.17 HMR: Just how popular is it?

Yesterday I went out and killed some milk bottles and cans ans some steel with my 22lr, used about 120 rounds.
The only thing a 17hmr would've done different is: A, cost me a heck of a lot more, and B, hurt my ears more.

17hmr is a pretty neat cartridge but it'l never kick 22lr into extinction, certainly not for plinking.
And I'im also not aware of any subsonic 17hmr so I couldn't silence one like I do my 22lr.
Also if its a windy day all the long distance advantages will be gone with the 17hmr.

My mate has a 22mag and he has just started buying new ballistic tip bullets for it, and after seeing what they will do I don't think he will get a 17hmr.

And another guy I know had a Rem 597 in 17hmr, but when they recalled them he got a replacement one in 22mag, and with the new 22mag bullets coming out he is very happy with it.

Nevertheless ill probably still get one one day.

BIG P

I like the 17hmr& the 22 mag,I think the 17 shoots alittle better but the 22 is easer to clean. anybody else have trouble cleaning the 17HMR ? or had cases get stuck in the chamber because it was dirty after prolong shooting time? I truly never see the 17 being more popular than the 22's.;)

tuck2

I have used the 22 LR, 22WMR, 17 HM2, and 17HMR rifles for shooting prairie dogs. Over the years, started in 1949, most all of my shooting has ben at prairie dogs. A few ago I shot a bit over 2,000 p dogs with the 17 HMR, and 17 HM2 rifles. My Anschutz 22 LR and Kimber 22 WMR rifles stays at home most of the time since getting the 17 rimfire rifles. I like the 22s for small game hunting but for shooting p dogs the Cooper 57 M LVT 17s are flatter shooting than the 22s ,accurate, with plenty of energy to put down a little three pound prairie dog.

wingman

I like the 22s for small game hunting but for shooting p dogs the Cooper 57 M LVT 17s are flatter shooting than the 22s ,accurate, with plenty of energy to put down a little three pound prairie dog.

For sure the 17HMR has it's niche but I've seen many posters who claim its a wonder gun, "shoot out to 300 yards with more killing power then a 223",etc, certainly a fun gun but not the gun or do anything gun,not sure that exist.;)

NWCP

I don't know how popular it is with other shooters, but I'm sold on mine. I have a CZ 452 Varmint chambered in 17HMR and love the thing. It's not a round that I'd use to put food on the table with, but for vermin and varmints it'll do a number on them at ranges exceeding the .22LR and .22WMR. The 17HMR damages too much meat to make it a food harvesting round unless you consistently make head shots. It's flatter shooting than either of the .22s and will absolutely decimate a ground squirrel and other such vermin. There will always be a place in my gun safe for a good .22LR and .22WMR (I own a few of each), but the 17HMR is here to stay and IMHO it has earned the right. I have no problem finding ammo and the guns are out there as well.

pgdion

Nothing will ever touch the .22LR (insanely cheap, great for plinking, quiet, .22 pistol leagues, ect) so the only thing the .17 could really go up against is the .22 mag. I made a choice between .22Mag and .17HMR some 8 years back I think. I choose the .22 Mag and have never regretted it. The .17, although cool looking, is just to light for me. If I want very fast, heck, I can get a 30gr .22Mag. But if I want some punch, I can't get a 50gr .17HMR. I can also still get plinking rounds in .22Mag for under 8 bucks, I can't touch .17 for under $11 (on sale) in my area. The .22Mag has way more variety to choose from on the shelf too. I have maybe 2 choices for the .17 and probably 7 or 8 for the .22Mag (4 of which I shoot regularly). It's the .22Mag all the way for me! :D

ripnbst

I will say this, if .17 caught on with the MFG's of rifles and ammo it would REALLY catch on with consumers. The reason it is not growing in popularity as quickly as I think it should is cost of ammo is still high and there are many rifles chambered in it.

However I don't know that it would ever completely get rid of the .22. .17 blows bigger holes in stuff so for a squirrel or chipmunk or small rabbit the .22 would be more desirable because it destroys less meat/pelt.

bamaranger

Ammo is common here, and there always seem to .17 HMR rifles on the shop racks. Somebody is shooting them as the brass is common at the public range near me until the scavengers get it for scrap.

What made the ctg whatever the success it has become is that the industry got behind the round and EVERYBODY started making guns for it, handgun and rifle.

Its ballistics exceed the .22 mag, but there are way to many .22 mags in circulation for that ctg to go extinct.

To bad that the industry didn't behind the original sub caliber magnum rimfire, the 5mm Magnum back in the 70's. If they had, we may never have seen the .17 HMR. Heavier slug than the .17, higher velocity the .22 mag, best of both worlds!.

tuck2

I use the 17 HM2 for shots out about 120 Yds and the 17 HMR out to about 150 Yds for prairie dog shooting. I have hit p dogs at longer ranges with the 17 RF rifles but now for longer shots past 150 Yds I use the 221 and 17 Fireball rifles and 204 Ruger rifle.

stevelyn

Nah......... In spite of the .17HMR being so popular it's still a specialty round and will never unseat either .22lr or .22WMR.

hornetguy

It's silly to talk about one of these cartridges making another "obsolete".. Each one has its own "niche", or forte'.
Did the .22 magnum make the .22 lr obsolete? Nope. Different purposes.
Should be the same with the .17's.

I've heard nothing but good things about the HMR. I am in the process (a LOOOONG process, as it turns out) of rebarreling a Stevens Favorite that had a rusted out barrel, for the .17 MachII. If I can ever get access to the lathe and mill at work, I'll finish it up. :rolleyes: Once I finish it, I don't plan to sell my .22 rifle. Each rifle will have its own purpose.

JWT

Took my Henry Golden Boy .17HMR to the range for the first time yesterday. What a 'fun' gun to shoot. Quite accurate too. Unfortunately I have to send it back to Henry. Noticed the filler tube is not staked to the barrel and can be moved side to side and up and down. Henry was most accommodating when I called them and will be sending me a shipping label. The shop where I bought it said bring it in and they'll pack and ship it for me.

I was a bit frustrated when I tried to clean it prior to shooting it. Small bore and small diameter rod made it extremely difficult to push a brush or patch through the barrel. So I decided to pick up an Otis kit. Tried it this morning and it is great for cleaning the small bore. Pulling the brush and patch from the chamber with the flexible plastic coated cable works perfectly and does a very good job. Would highly recommend it for a .17HMR.