15 greatest handguns of all time - I think "sort of".

lamarw

I only own three of the fifteen. It seemed to me there were too many rimfires in the pool of 15 best.

The 3 of 15 in my collection are the;

1. Colt M1911 from the year 1918

2. Beretta 92FS Inox

3. S&W Model 10-5

You notice all were steel/metal except for the Glock. At least I think this is correct.

trigger643

Owning or having owned all 15 on the list, there are some substitutions I would make.

I understand it's somewhat subjective to list not only the best, but also the most influential designs.

My changes would be:
replace the S&W Model 29 with the Model 27,
the Ruger Single Six with the S&W 17.
I'd delete the 92, considering it derivative of the P.38.
I'd add the S&W 39, as it ushered in the wonder 9 phenomena which made possible and/or popular many other 9's.

All in all it's an interesting list.

schneiderguy

Personally, I see no reason to include the S&W 10 - it is really not groundbreaking or particularly "exceptional".

Really? The Model 10 is the most prolific revolver ever made and probably the most prolific handgun of the 20th Century. And that's not even considering that all S&W double action hand ejectors are derivatives of the Model 10 action, and that it introduced the .38 S&W Special cartridge.

The Model 10 is much more of a utilitarian tool compared to the Python, but IMO much more significant overall.

trigger643

Schneider makes a very valid argument for the inclusion of the Model 10 on the list and I tend to agree with him. It really was "the" DA revolver of the 20th Century for a number of reasons, not least of which was it's superior and often copied design.

It's extremely difficult to support adding a Python to the list, although an argument can be made for adding the New Service. There was little unique or endearing about the python design. It was overly complicated and fragile, requiring knowledgeable craftsmen to hand fit many of the parts and then requiring an exceptionally talented gunsmith to tune it properly. It's influence has been of a romantic, rather than a practical, aesthetic or mechanical nature. Those that own/owned them either love them or hate them. Those that pine for them either have never owned one or have not shot them very much.

RickB

The M&P broke no ground not already plowed by Colt, so I have to agree that the Smith is a great gun for its longevity in the market, but it was in no way innovative, and since the Python is at least a direct descendant of the guns that were (Colt New Army, etc.), I'd have fewer S&W DA revolvers on the list and at least one Colt, even if it's not the Python.

SaxonPig

Title says best but the criteria is most influential. I have 6 of the 15, BTW.

The Sig? Really? How so? Same with the CZ75. OK pistols, but among the most influential designs? C'mon...

Everyone will have his own list. Here's mine (in no particular order).

1. The 1836 Colt. First successful revolver.
2. Colt 1911. Best military handgun ever made and used for 75 years.
3. Colt SAA. First revolver using serious metallic cartridges.
4. S&W Military & Police. Military and law enforcement standard for 80 years.
5. The Browning P35. First high capacity semi-auto pistol.
6. Walther P-38. First DA semi-auto accepted for military duty.
7. S&W Model 39. Made the semi-auto possible for law enforcement.
8. S&W Pre-War 357 Magnum. Ushered in the Magnum era.
9. Walther PPK. First pocket pistol.
10. S&W Chiefs Special. Defined the concealment revolver.
11. P08 Luger. First military auto and introduced the 9mm cartridge.
12. Glock. I hate them but they own the police market.
13. S&W Highway Patrolman. Target grade 357 priced for the working cop.
14. S&W Model 60. First stainless revolver.
15. S&W 44 Magnum. First hand cannon.

I have 9 on my list.

Cheapshooter

I see no reason to include the S&W 10 - it is really not groundbreaking or particularly "exceptional".

Really?

Some 6,000,000 of the type have been produced over the years, making it the most popular centerfire revolver of the 20th century.

Seems six million people disagree!

My one curiosity is why not the P08 Luger?

UncleEd

For the most part, I agree with the list.

Also agree that maybe the Beretta 92 needn't be there since it's a derivative of the Walther P38. The Sig 226/220 was sufficiently innovative to earn a place.

As for the Python.......ha, ha, ha, hee, ho, cough, hee, haw, ho, ho.--- replacing the Model 10 or if you will the M&P, that's way off base to any of us who've spent a lot of years with DA revolvers. The Python lock work and all its ancestors couldn't hold a candle to the M&P's lock work.

trigger643

I don't really have a problem adding the P.08 to the list. It's a wonderfully pointing design and very accurate. When introduced it was very cutting edge, from a technological standpoint (1898-1942), and was acceptably reliable for it's time. Which to drop of the list to add it? I'd drop the S&W 17 from my list, the Ruger Single Six from theirs.

The P226 may not be the best example to add to the list from the P2xx lineup. It is just the culmination of a line of very innovative and excellent pistols starting with the P210. The P226 is really nothing more than a double stacked off shoot of the P220 9mm which had been around for over a decade prior. Still, I think it is worthy of mention.

Blue Duck

The gun I would drop from the list is the CZ, because I just never liked them, and the Model 10 deserves to stay, because it's probably the combat proven double action to ever see duty. it's seen a lot of gunfighting over the years as the primary arm of many.

Instead of the CZ, yeah I would add the Smith and Wesson model 17 .22 because a finer double action .22 was never made, but I would keep the Ruger single six in the line up also.

UncleEd

When it comes to Smith revolvers, I like so many but I realize that after the M&P (Model 10) all others are just caliber variations on the original though, of course, metallurgy played a part with the Model 19/ Model 27/Model 29/ Model etc. etc. development.

But the superb lock work, the heart and guts of the guns, bascially stayed the same.

SIGSHR

In place of the S&W Highway Patrolman I would substitue the S&W Combat Masterpiece-first succesful target sighted service revolver. The Colt New Service-first sucessful large bore swing out cylinder revolver. I would include the M1895 Nagant revolver and and the TT30 and TT33 pistols. While clunky and awkward by our standards and firing cartridges we look down on they were widely distributed and saw action in very rough conditions.

I was surprised to see the original .357 Magnum (later Model 27) not included. Also missing is the Sig P210. Otherwise, it's fairly well-considered.

Nowhere do I see in the list the requirement that the handgun be innovative as the sole, or even primary, reason for it being included.

If that were the only requirement, or the primary requirement, the 1911 wouldn't make it, either, to be honest.

The Model 10 is on the list because for the better part of a century it was the standard by whcih civilian and police revolvers were measured in the United States. Additionally, it introduced the .38 Special cartridge, which is still a touchstone standard cartridge for millions of users.

The Model 10 was also used heavily by militaries around the world, either as a standard arm or a substitute standard, and has served in one form or another in virtually every conflict since 1900.

Another mark of the impact that the Model 10 has had is how many copies have been made by manufacturers around the world, from blatant knockoffs by Spanish manufacturers to Rossi to Taurus.

Yeah, the Model 10 deserves a spot on that list.

As for the other firearms on that list, as I noted above, I'm not sure that I'd include the 1911. It had its day, but it's been surpassed, and it's not had the worldwide impact that some of the other guns on that list have had. But, that's just me.

I'd swap out the Model 29 for the Model 19, and I think I'd be inclined to replace the Model 60 with the Detective Special.

The Model 41 and the Ruger Single Six? I just can't get behind those at all.

I just tought of a huge, and very glaring, omission, one that should not by any stretch of the imagination be omitted from the list of greatest handguns of all time...

The Walther PP/PPK.

Not only innovative, but exceptional design and handling, and in a variety of cartridges.

Doyle

I agree on the Walther. In fact, the soviet block pistols (PM, P-64, PA-63, etc) all stole from the Walther design.

Yep, the Walther has been extremely influential. My Dad had an Iver Johnson PT-22 that was basically a greatly scaled down Walther design.

I am also baffled by the omission of the Python. Also, no High Standard.

Personally, while I don't think there is any argument that the Glock has been influential, I can't bring myself to classify it as one of the fifteen best handguns in the world.

What about the revolver that introduced the bored-through cylinder, the S&W Model 1? Or what about Colt's first revolver? Both had monumental influence on handgun design.