1/2-oz 12 Gauge (for the Search engines)

FITASC

Quote:
shooting subgauge with a 12-ga shell, regardless of how little shot you put in.
Did the Poster mean to say that you can't shoot a super-gauge in a subgauge event ?
All games allow you to use a smaller bore size gun for competition in larger bore size events, but not the other way around. If I want to shoot 1 gun for everything, a 410 would be it. That said, shooting a 410 in 12, 20, and 28 gauge events does not tend to have the degree of success.

bladesmith 1

Well I tried the 1/2oz loads with 15grs of 700X and they worked fine. Gave some to the guys shooting 5-stand and they really liked them. Guess I'll be ordering some 20ga wads seeing how I used all the old ones I had.

bladesmith 1

On my Mec Jr after seating a plastic wad I inserted the fiber card and only used enough pressure to seat the fiber card, not wanting to have it pushed up into the 12ga drop tube. It only takes a couple of seconds. Compared to my 9000H I'm using something made in the dark ages, so what's another pull of the handle ? :D

darkgael

Blade: Agreed that there is not a whole lot of room left in a brass hull if you simply replace the OS card with the lubed wad.
Two things: the skychief loading was developed for muzzleloaders. No space problem there.
The other thing is that the Skychief eliminates the cushion wad between the powder and the shot. Did you try that? Should eliminate the space problem.
What brass hulls did you use?

bladesmith 1

Claybuster makes a 3/4oz wad for the 12ga - CB-0134-12, so beans and such aren't needed.
mehavey, I'm not sure what a deflection shot is. Is the shot bounced off something so it's deflected ?:confused: :confused:

bladesmith 1

In the shotgun sports - skeet, trap, 5-stand, and SCs, where there are many birds thrown on different angles that need different leads, they are called crossers, not deflection shots. I have never seen that term used in 50 years of shooting the shotgun sports. Wikipedia has it a bit wrong using that term. Deflection is something being deflected from it's original course. Leading a target is just that, and there are many different ways to do it. A couple are swing through, maintain lead, pull away, intercept, reverse lead - you get the idea. Wikipedia isn't always right. ;) In the future you may want to pick a different term. :)

mehavey

I'm afraid you are incorrect.
Back in the early 50's, the "New Air Force" issued free skeet ammunition " to keep the gunners mentality up to speed.... on deflection shooting." **
`Followed Dad around the skeet ranges for years as a young kid, and still call 'Pull,' 'Mark,' and "Birds" from those early days.

As to pulling it from "Wikipedia"... I didn't have a clue "Wikipedia" agreed w/ me (and for the past 70 years or since those USAF skeet days w/ Dad -- don't really care.)

Perhaps Merriam Webster might have some ideas....
Hmmmmm
WQ-Defl.jpg

deflection shooting: noun
Definition of deflection shooting
: the aiming of one's fire in aerial gunnery beyond a moving airplane to compensate for its movement.

So if y'all don't mind, I think I'll stay at the dance w/ the one that brung me.
:D

Happened come across these cites:

Page100
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/AAF/AAFHS/AAFHS-31/AAFHS-31-7.html
LeMay
https://books.google.com/books?id=y...q=deflection shooting skeet air force&f=false

Last edited:

bladesmith 1

Sorry, I stand corrected. I shouldn't be trying to correct my elders [ I'm only 76 ] . But I will say in my humble defense, that term seems to have gone out of favor.
I do really like your OLD:D saying - So if y'all don't mind, I think I'll stay at the dance w/ the one that brung me. Very appropriate. I learn something new everyday.

mehavey

You and I are similar in age--and of the very few who
could actually remember the likes of LeMay in person :D *
(much less free ammunition :eek:).

* (now if I could only remember what I had for breakfast)
...sigh...