“Inherently Accurate” round

Many have mentioned shorter powder columns being more “inherently accurate.” I do not dispute this as I simply don’t know. My question is... was the concept or reasoning behind the mostly out of favor WSSM cartridges? I have not heard of them being wildly accurate, but I also believe that it may be because many people who bought into them weren’t accuracy shooters in the first place.

In reading this thread (GREAT discussion, BTW), I have the same question. Military long-range sniper rifles are often chambered for .300 Win Mag. Why don't we read about any chambered in .300 WSM or WSSM? I might speculate that the inherent accuracy advantage of a shorter powder column is somewhat negated by the longer cartridge being inherently (that word again!) more able to chamber consistently than the shorter cartridge. I would further speculate that there may be a "sweet spot" somewhere between the length/diameter ratio of the .30-06 vs. .308 and the .300 Win Mag vs. .300 WSSM. Perhaps fodder for consideration by the BR fanatics among us! ;)

old roper

TX Nimrod, Reason for switch to 6ppc was, short yardage BR is shot 100,200 and 300yds also perfect conditions @ 100yds hard to beat 222.

T. O'Heir

There's a "formula" on-line about the ratio of the calibre/bullet diameter to the diameter and length, as I recall, of the case. The shape of the bullet and barrel and forces applied don't have anything to do with it.
The .308 family of cartridges, supposedly, are the best. Advocating one or another cartridge is a really good way of starting a huge argument.

44 AMP

Staff
Military long-range sniper rifles are often chambered for .300 Win Mag. Why don't we read about any chambered in .300 WSM or WSSM? I might speculate that the inherent accuracy advantage of a shorter powder column is somewhat negated by the longer cartridge being inherently (that word again!) more able to chamber consistently than the shorter cartridge.

I think you're overthinking it.

First point, and not a major one, is that the short case advocates will tell you how the shorter case is more "inherently" able to chamber more accurately than the longer one....

Biggest point why you don't read about WSM WSSM sniper rifles is the Military and its priorities. Remember that when the military goes outside its usual stuff, and buys "off the shelf" it is to perform a specific task. And, when they get that, the don't buy "new and improved" stuff. They may look, but they almost never buy.

Those sniper rifles in .300 Magnum were done and accepted a long time before the WSM WSSM rounds existed. Even when made today, the specs were set back then.

Could they have used the new short magnums? Sure. Pretty sure they tested at least a few. But then it comes down to MONEY. AND performance. If you've already got (and paid for) something that does the job well enough, its really tough to justify spending money on something else, UNLESS there is a clearly obvious and consistent advantage to the new round/rifles.

IT may be the short magnums are "inherently" more accurate than the longer ones, but unless the difference is considered significant enough of an improvement, they won't be buying any.

Nathan

@ old roper.....can you tell us why folks switched from 222 to 6ppc? I thought I read it was about handling the wind, but I’m not sure.

I read it had nothing to do with accuracy.

Last edited:

old roper

Nathan, I started out with 222 and made switch to 6ppc. Some shooters took long time to make switch and think some of the problem was having new case that had to be fire formed plus the cost. Short yardage BR is shot in
5 relays/5 targets and conditions change.

I think BR may switch for the better.