ZOWIE!... Bulgarian Makarov $269!!

Jonpod

There is a gun show coming to my area this coming Saturday and I am planning to buy a Makarov. Today I went around to a few of the local gun shops to check on availability and prices. I was only able to find one. It was a NIB Bulgarian with extra mag and holster for $269.00. That seems really high to me. I have never seriously shopped for one before but I seem to remember that I should be able to get one for $150 or less. Probably more for an East German. I offered the Dealer $150 and he told me that he turned down offers of $200. He also told me that the Bulgarian is the best of the Makarovs, but I've always thought that the E.Germans were the best. I've read here that E.Germans have the best triggers and accuracy while the Bulgarians have best reliability and to only take the Russian if it is practically being given away due to the fragile and non-replaceable (adjustable) sights. Are there availablility problems with Makarovs currently as stated by the aforementioned dealer? If so what prices should I expect to see this Saturday?

houndawg

Don't pay over $150. The dealer was trying to make some serious profit. J&G was selling them for $99 just a little while ago. BTW, the EG Maks are the best. That dealer was either ignorant or was blowing smoke.

Rob

StephenT

You should be able to pick up a Bulgarian mak for $150 or less at the show. With gun shows around, who needs dishonest dealers? The tale about the Bulgarian being the best mak was nonsense to try to get you to buy it. The EG is generally regarded as having the better finish.

If you don't see one at the show, check out auctionarms.com or gunsamerica.com and find a dealer with a low transfer fee (out of state means no sales tax) Or, you can get one for much less directly from the wholesaler: SOG, JC Armory, J&G Sales, etc.

I don't mind if the store makes about $50 profit on a gun, but $269 is ridiculous.

As already stated, that price is ridiculous. You could buy the cheapest Mak there is, and send it to BEAST for their full treatment and have only slightly more than $269 in it. I don't buy the idea that this Mak is better than that Mak etc. Most of this stuff is just repeated over and over on these forums. I personally couldn't care less which one is finished better. I am one of those guys that sent my Bulgarian to BEAST and refinishing is part of the package. I also own one of those fragile Russian Maks with the adjustable sights. Unlike the stuff I read on the net, the one I OWN and regularly shoot has given me no problems. If it does, I will simply replace the rear sight with a much better aftermarket product. I am seriously considering having that one hard chromed, so again, so much for the finish issue. I think you will be happy with whatever one you decide to buy. And I agree that you shouldn't pay a penny over $150 for one. If you don't find one at the show, find a local dealer who will order you one out of Shotgun News or Gun List.

BlackJack

The only way you could get a NIB Bulgarian Makarov would be to have joined the Bulgarian Army back in the 1960s, and you probably couldn't get one then because they didn't come in boxes. This dealer is seriously misinformed or one of the more dishonest you will ever encounter. Wait for a gunshow.

Oris

Dealer is gridy SOB, no doubt...
Russian Mak with adjustable sight is great.
If somebody really wants to break this sight, it can be done, otherwise there is no problems with this particular
sight. East German Mak is nothing special, except may be
slightly better (on average) finished. Bulgarian Mak is O.K, although from time to time it can be a bit rough on finish and trigger pull, so as Russian commercial. The best overall quality in Mak belongs to Russian military pistols, made between 1960 and 1975.

Stocky

Jerk.......

That local dealer is a real SOB.
E.Germans have a nicer finish then the Bulgarians.
Russians with their sights are lousy carry guns, and the sights won't take any kind of mild lickin' either!
And you "can" buy a "(New)" unissued Bulgie...right now
for $145....never fired...stored away in cosmoline for 40 years.
For that matter, you can buy a Bulgie Very good/excellent, broken in, for $100. at S.O.G.
Regards,
Stocky

thumbtack

Another option that you have is to get a C&R FFL. It is $30.00 for three years, and you can order the Makarov from the ads in Shotgun News and have them sent directly to your house, without having to go through a local dealer and incurring their charge.

ICryoman

Makarovs for $82.50...

Blackjack is wrong! You can get NIB Bulgarian Makarovs, made in the 60's. They are all over the US market. These are unissued, still drenched in cosmoline, wrapped in wax paper and in the box complete with Cyrillic writing on the side. I bought 3 of them, all in such new, in box condition. AIM Surplus, in there newest flyer, has these unissued NIB Bulgarian Makarovs for the lowest price I have seen at $82.50. http://www.aimsurplus.com. Your dealer is a jerk and is attempting to rip you off. Cheers, Cryoman

krept

WOW, NIB or not those $82 Bulg. Maks are NOT going to last. We bought a great looking one for $99 from J&G and it was very worth it. Looks unused, but I would be VERY skeptical about a "NIB" Makarov...

BTW, I didn't see the Maks on the website...

Richard

Bulgarian Maks

The lowest price I have seen on a Mak is $99. Is there a catch? Yes, our old buddies at J&G removed the spare magazine to sell separately. Remember my philosophy, no one gives nothing for nothing! The Maks are a great pistol and the best buy out there. Regards, Richard

Stocky

Clarify.......

Aim's $82.50 specials are "not" unissued!
That stuff is "catch as catch can"....just think about it.

And J & G will sometimes mix and match.....not a huge problem, make sure you know what's included with your purchase...that's all.
one mag or two? Matching serial #'s or not? Etc.

And it's real hard to hurt these things.

JMO,
Stocky

Nodakmarine

Hmm, I wonder if your dealer is somehow related to the dealer in my home town? No, my dealer woldn't carry anything as high of quality as a Bulgarian Makarov, instead sticking to these high speed-low drag Hi-point and Lorcin pistols. ;) But he will charge you $150 for a Hi-point 9mm instead of the $60 or so that you can find them in Shotgun News. LOL Now if you ask him anything about these high quality zinc pistols, he will tell you that they are excellent pistols and they never have any problems. So, can you tell that I do very little business with this guy? :D But to answer your questions, yes, that price is WAY too high and you were right that the East German Makarovs are the best ones out there.

bullet44

The Makarov is a great gun, however as to the east
german stated as being the best not sure i would
agree, perhaps in finish yes but as to accuracy the
most accurate seems to be the unissued bulgarian.
Or i have found this to be true in most I have shot.
As to new in the box, yes, a commerical arsenal version
of the bulgarian is sold. It also is a fine gun but
I still favor the unissued military "bulgie".