Zinc coatings on new Wolf .223 ammo: bore wear?

A few people have reported sparks from the muzzles with this new coating.
Even Tula is using it and whether Wolf actually Is the same ammo might not be any issue with so many questions 'out there' about the new coatings.

The guns in question are my 'nib' Saigas with chrome-lined bores, but I might Also buy a case (7.62x39) for the steel-bore Yugo SKS in the future, stocking for retirement. Would prefer the older coatings, if still avail. in the next two cases bought for storage.

What is known about any Accelerated wear (etc) in the bores for steel or chrome-lined bores? My guns are not allowed to get smoking hot, to exclude unneeded barrel wear.

Last edited:

Model12Win

I'm not sure about bore erosion, but I've fired about 400 .308 rounds from Tulammo with the new "silver" colored zinc plated bullets with no issues. I have not noticed any spark from the bore or anything.

The stuff is what it is, the very cheapest rifle ammo made. You can't reload .308 for the same cost as just shooting the steel cased factory offerings. That's why I buy it.

I too would like to here others thoughts on this though. Don't want to do damage to my sweet PTR-91.

chris in va

Zinc is softer than copper, so I imagine it will wear less. I would be more concerned with a galvanic reaction, ala zinc anode...but I'm not a chemist.

As long as the zinc is thick enough to protect the bore from whatever steel is underneath.

Pardon me-maybe only Tula has this. One recent (February) small box of Tula .223 from Academy has the zinc, another from the same purchase has copper.
A guy on another website was told by Tula USA (or such) that they are converting to zinc.

Had a few boxes of this confused with 2,000 rds. of Wolf (WPA) just delivered, all of which has copper.

Last edited:

Mobuck

"A few people have reported sparks from the muzzles with this new coating."

Most likely from the crappy powder rather than from bore friction.