Zero yardage for 223

Fla_dogman

What is the optimum yardage you zero in you scope on your 223 to have the best balanced trajectory. I have changed from 100 yds to 75. The reason is according the ballistic charts this allows for a balance of hits above and below the line of sight out to 200yrds. I was torn between 65 or 75 yards. Does anyone have opinions on these or other yardages?

joe sixgun

You are on the right track by considering your likely range of shots. In the Marines many moons ago our A2's were zeroed at 200 which was supposed to produce hits on two legged targets from 0-350 yards I believe. They called it battlesight zero or BZO. Not sure what they are doing these days.

agtman

Have the Haley DVD that DMK referenced.

After watching Haley's extremely effective review of the different zero-options that are possible with the 5.56mm AR, based on how the POIs spread as distances change, I switched from the 50yd/200yd zero (or 50yd/225yd, depending on barrel length and your particular 5.56 ammo) to the 30yd-300yd zero.

It's the most efficient in terms of giving the tightest (i.e., flattest shooting) POI-spread from point-blank out to 300yds, and for 400-to-500yd shots not that much hold-over is required (shooter competence is assumed).

This is also shooting basic mil-spec 55gn ball ammo. For 62gn ball, or the 75gn/77gn OTM loads, you'll need to adjust your Z per your weapon-system, i.e., 16" v. 18" v. 20" barrel.

Last edited:

marine6680

Using the A2 style sights, you can get a good zero set, and adjust the sights as needed for various distances. Its what we did for our training and qualifications on the range.

I try to keep a realistic view of my needs when zeroing.

For my target/accuracy focused ARs, I like a 100yd zero, as I use mil reticles, and it makes for easy calculations and hold overs. I don't shoot past a few hundred yards either, so no need to use a 200yd or other zero to help increase the effective range of the scope adjustments and holdovers for longer ranges like 500yds and up.

For a Red dot and BUIS setup, which is usually what I see as a defensive setup for a civilian shooter... I stick with the 50yd zero, as it is useful for the ranges I would be using the rifle.

If I ever use a rifle in defense, it will almost certainly be less than 25yds, so I could go with a closer zero like a 25yd. I just feel a 50yd zero is a bit more reliably centered and translatable at distance, as any deviations in windage zeroing will show up better at 50yds than 25yds. And seeing as I do all my shooting at the range, defense is a remote possibility only, I can use the zero close in and at longer ranges equally well. (usually 100yds and less) Its also good out to 200yds with no hold over, heck even 300yds really doesn't need a holdover for combat hits with the 50yd zero.

Even if a complete "SHTF" situation occurred tomorrow, and all of society fell, I would be unlikely to need to fire at a target farther than 200yds. Past that, and retreat is the better call than fighting if you find yourself in that situation. Its a waste of ammo, as hit probability goes way down in an actual firefight, which distance compounds. Plus the danger, which the added distance can help you get away from.

For a military unit, a longer zero can make sense, as they are better equipped and manned, to better deal with longer range engagements.

As a civilian, some random person with a firearm could just be out hunting or scavenging, or other innocent task, and pose no actual danger. So shooting them from 300yds away without ascertaining if they are an actual threat, while possibly prudent in a world gone to s**t, is still murder in my eyes... Hard to establish relations, trading opportunities, and build communities shooting just anyone that wanders by. :p

Last edited:

Fla_dogman

Great video thanks for sharing, I hunt with my AR and limit my shots to under 150yds for that rifle so the 75yd option for me works.
It puts me zero at 75 and 150yds and .3 inches high at 100,
.67 low at 50yds and 1.5 low at 25.

DMK

I switched from the 50yd/200yd zero (or 50yd/225yd, depending on barrel length and your particular 5.56 ammo) to the 30yd-300yd zero.
You're right about barrel length and ammo differences. Also a lot of folks say the 50y zero is a 200y zero, but Chuck Santos actually called the IBZ a 50 yard / 200 meter zero (200 meters = 219 yards).

Here is an example of POI changes with different barrel lengths:
https://everydaymarksman.wordpress.com/tag/ibz/

What's interesting in that Travis Haley video is how much of a POI difference there is between the 50y/200m zero and the 200y zero. The impact point at different ranges changes quite a bit with only a 19 yard far zero difference.

Last edited:

marine6680

My ballistics calculator puts a 50yd zero at crossing again around 225yds, would need to check it for the exact number.

200m is actually just shy of 219yds... So calling it a 50yd/200m zero is probably an accurate way of putting it.

For most shooters, the difference in impact between 200yds and 219yds is small enough that is will not matter.

And my prior post kind of turned into a late night rant over the way "preppers" say they need to practice long range 500yd+ shooting for the end times. :cool:

MarkCO

I typically use a 200 yard zero and then confirm at 25, 50, 100 and 300. But I do shoot my .223 ARs out to 600 yards. If I only wanted to shoot to 100 yards, I would probably use a 100 yard zero.

If using an optic, the BDCs are popular and some people just can't get past wanting those hash marks to line up at exactly the yardages the manufacturer says. If you want to 600 to be on, it is unlikely that the 100 will be right at 100, but close enough. If you zero at 100, then the further marks won't be on unless you are very lucky.

If using Irons or a 1X optic, I zero at 300.

kraigwy

Depends on the size of the target.

The USAMU put out a guide for LE Counter Snipers, recommending rifle, calibers, scopes and zeros.

Top of the list was a Bolt gun, 6-8 X fixed glass, in 223. Reason being civilian LE seldom need a extreme long range shot.

Military snipers are taught to shoot Center of Mass of a man size target. That dog doesn't hunt for Civ. LE, the target has to be stopped.

So using the above criteria, the AMU recommended sighting the 223 size round at 25/250 meter distance. With that, one could make head shots to 300 meters.

In my teaching LE Counter Snipers & SWAT, I used this zero and found it more then adequate.

But again it depends on the size of the target. If the size is known, then you can determine your Max Point Blank Range. Let assume you're hunting deer. The heart lung area of the average deer is 10-11 inches. Knowing that, you want to pick a zero that would allow you to aim at the center of the heart lung area, yet not be over 5 inches high, or 5 inches low, that would be your max point blank range and zero distance.

Jim243

What is the optimum yardage you zero in you scope on your 223 to have the best balanced trajectory.

This is going to depend on what you are shooting at and with what weight bullet. Your first consideration should be what do you need as terminal velocity to effect a killing shot when the bullet hits it's target. Some say that as a min you should have 1,250 fps to effect penetration and expansion. But that too will depend on how thick the skin of the target is. (Moose vs Deer). The second is the type and weight of the bullet. It is said that flat based bullets are more accurate within 125 yards while boat tail bullets are more stable and accurate at 200 yards or better. Next is the weight of the bullet you will be using. 55 grain .224 bullets do well out to about 300 yards but lose kinetic energy beyond that range while 75 & 80 grain boat tail bullets will retain more effective killing power beyond that 300 yard mark.

You first need to determine what you will be shooting AT (type of target) and then what you will be shooting WITH (type of bullet). Once you settle on this it will determine what you should set your ZERO at. I would recommend setting the zero at 25 yards less than your maximum effective killing distance. That impact point should be within 5 inches high or 5 inches low from point of aim.

Good luck and stay safe.
Jim

MarkCO

kraigwy,

A question on the USAMU recommendation. Is that from the timeframe you were there, or more recent? Just curiosity if the recommendation may have changed over time.

kraigwy

Mark that was in the days of the 55 gr bullets.

The principal is the same. The army used the 300 yard zero with heavier bullets, but as I said, they are shooting center of mass, Works for a 19 X 40 size target, but not for head shots or hunting.