Zastava M85?

Last weekend I had my SKS out and, after shooting it, I realize that I really don't much like it. But I would like to have something in 7.62x39, so I'm casting about for ideas of what I might get to replace the venerable SKS.

One thought is a Ruger Mini 30 ... if I decide to stay with a semi-auto. I might, however, consider jumping to a bolt action, and the Zastava M85 "Mini Mauser" has caught my attention. I found a two-year old discussion of it here, but it was described in that thread as a Mauser M98 action, and I know for a fact that's not correct so I don't pay much attention to that thread.

Has anyone had experience with the Zastava M85 in 7.62x39 (or the Remington 799 or Charles Daly versions thereof)? I would appreciate any first-hand feedback.

emcon5

They are variants of the Mauser 98 action. The length is different, (may be the same as the M48, not sure) so it won't fit in a standard K98 stock, but the design of the bolt (aside from the safety) and the action are pretty much the same.

There are a couple videos on YouTube that are reasonably complimentary.

jolly1

If we are speaking of "Zastava", than aim for "charles daly", or "Interarms", as they are supposed to be made for export, and made of better quality.

Once, i tried one plain "Zastava m85" on the range - in your caliber of choice.
I have no complaints, feeding and shooting well, but nothing extraordinary.

However, if I am to chose a rifle in this caliber range, I would opt for CZ 527.
Especially if you can not get "charles Daly", or "Interarms".

Mosin-Marauder

I do know that if you looks at the current Zastava M70s and M85s they share extremely similar qualities with their M24/47 and M48 predecessors. Same bluing, same magazine style, same bolt (just a bit scaled down on the M85). The wood finish is the only complaint I've seen with any frequency, but I think the dull finish looks nice with the deep bluing.

drobs

You might want to do some googling on those short action Mauser's in 7.62x39. I believe I read somewhere that they don't like steel case Russian ammo.

natman

They are variants of the Mauser 98 action. The length is different, (may be the same as the M48, not sure) so it won't fit in a standard K98 stock, but the design of the bolt (aside from the safety) and the action are pretty much the same.

The Mini Mauser is a Mauser only in the sense that it's a bolt action. It's much shorter than an M48, the bolt is nothing like a Mauser (take a look at the extractor for starters). It's a completely different rifle. The Mauser connection exists only in the minds of the Zastava marketing department.

It's a neat little rifle. The bolt handle is so short that the bolt lift is a bit heavy and if you get a new one be SURE to clean out the barrel thoroughly. I pushed an 18 inch long cylinder of red grease out of the bore of my 223. I was really glad I cleaned it before I fired it!

emcon5

The Mini Mauser is a Mauser only in the sense that it's a bolt action. It's much shorter than an M48, the bolt is nothing like a Mauser (take a look at the extractor for starters). It's a completely different rifle. The Mauser connection exists only in the minds of the Zastava marketing department.

So is this photo a different rifle? Because that action sure looks like a 98, extractor and all.

https://www.impactguns.com/zastava-m85-inmini-mauserin-bolt-action-rifle-cal-762x39mm-ri1975-n.aspx

Sappyg

I have one. I like it fine. I've only got around 200 rounds through it ATM. The Adjustable trigger is very nice but I really haven't bothered much with checking accuracy. With open sights from a bench I'm good for about 4" at 100 yards. Mostly I'm shooting it off hand at 25 yards and I'm happy with the results so far.
The stocks come completely unfinished with very nice wood grain. Fit could be a little better but at 4 hunert it's not a deal breaker. I put 2 coats of linseed oil on mine and called it good.
I have had minor feeding issues from time to time. I think it's more related to the way the mag is loaded and the cartridge design of the 7.62x39. Overall it's a fun bolt gun that won't break the bank. Given that the action is 'loose' the rougher you treat it the better it behaves.

Scorch

The Mini-Mauser was called that because when Interarms imported them (1980s), they were famous for the Zastava commercial Mauser 98 rifles they sold. In reality, the Mini-Mausers more closely resemble a Sako Vixen action, but are not made anywhere near as well as that. They are a cute little action, and the rifles are very handy and pretty accurate. I own two of the Interarms versions. I would say yes, go for it.

natman

So is this photo a different rifle? Because that action sure looks like a 98, extractor and all.

Yes, the photo is a different rifle, at least from mine. That one does look like a Mauser.

Here's how the bolt on my 223 looks:

The non-rotating guide makes the action look like a Mauser, at least when the bolt is closed. So either the 223 and the 7.62x39 guns have different bolt designs or Zastava has redesigned the bolt in the 10+ years since I bought mine.

Last edited:

Mosin-Marauder

The M76 (basically a dragunov) is the (as far as I know) main DMR for the Serbian Army and it is indeed chambered in 8x57mm JS. They might have changed to a different chambering, but I doubt it since they still use what are essentially MG42's in their original 8mm Caliber as one of their main Machine Guns.

Huffmanite

Well, I own a M70 Zavasta in .308, definitely a mauser action with it typical claw extractor in it. Its accuracy is OK for hunting, but disappointing for my target benchrest shooting. Can be some nice wood in them, but you need to refinish it's stock to bring it out. Attended a Local Gun Show last weekend and checked out a N.I.B. M70 Zavasta. Brought it to attention of a gent I was with, who owned a couple of these Zavasta M70s. We were both tempted to buy the darn rifle for the beautiful color potential in the wood. However, neither of us were really happy with how our Zavasta's shot for accuracy.....by buddy rebarreled both of his, as he also shoots mostly benchrest and is after accuracy. Zavasta action is a decent one to build on.

As to the bolt and its extractor. Well, I've not personally seen one in 7.63x39, but do know I'd bought it before I'd have bought the 308 one. Unfortunately, the store clearing out their Zavasta rifles for around $350, never stocked the 7.62x39. I'm not sure of the extractor style for this cartridge.