Zastava M-76

kcub

I just traded for a Zastava M76 sniper rifle semi auto in 8mm Mauser. It will do 1" groups at 100 yards with milsurp! If the 10 round mags are legal it would be nearly perfect. I love this rifle.

Mine looks just like this.

http://petesdiscountfirearms.com/ZastavaM76.html

ZastavaM76.jpg

barnbwt

"If the 10 round mags are legal"
Pal, you're in Texas; what're you talking about? :D The M76 is a nice shooter, though not the most reliable. I'm still getting the bugs worked out of mine, though they are more the fault of Ohio Rapid Fire than the Slavs. MG15 30 rounders can be modded to work, too, btw.

TCB

kcub

Mine's been flawless so far. An AK derivative that's unreliable? Must be an ORF build issue.

I have a couple of MG15 mags modded for my Hakim, is it the same modification?

My scope is very easy to adjust, perhaps too easy. I need to see if I can lock it down. I saw something about that on the PSL thread, probably the same or similar commie bloc scope.

I wish I could find more Portuguese FNM bala normal milsurp. Great non corrosive ammo but hard to find. I haven't tried any other ammo yet.

BoogieMan

Sweet commy gun. I might have to look into one of them. Is it possible to get the wood skeleton stock like the dragunov?

Kosh75287

The 8x57 Mauser round doesn't take a back seat to ANY service cartridge, as a sniper round, either. The American factory stuff is wimpy, but the Euro stuff is where it needs to be.

I wish I'd learned of it sooner.

barnbwt

"An AK derivative that's unreliable? Must be an ORF build issue."

Duh :rolleyes:. The locking recesses were conical, for starters. The mags like to nosedive, though, a known issue.

"I have a couple of MG15 mags modded for my Hakim, is it the same modification?"
I think you have to cut the rear rib for the catch, add one to the front, and possibly square off the corners of the magwell depending on manufacturer.

RPK8RHfrontal.JPG

makes my STGW57 mags look petite...

TCB

barnbwt

Parts kit and 80% receiver blank (yes, the build was a rather major pain)
attachment.php

There are a few things I have suspicions about as far as my M76; like many of these 'new unissued' milsurp demils, I suspect they never ran in the first place, or at least weren't tested. My reasoning is because the upper hand guard basically didn't fit the rear sight base, causing the gas tube to both bind on the underside of the carrier and making the takedown lever nearly impossible to turn. The whole kit is numbers-matching down the demilled receiver and scope. I've found such odd inconsistencies on a couple 'new condition' demilled parts kits, which makes me wonder if they were essentially factory-seconds, or if workers were simply passing off defective stuff to make quotas (I suspect the latter's a bullseye).

At any rate, they did a better job than ORF, since the shredded receiver remnants I had were far better machined, especially internally. ORF used worn cutters for everything, so there's lots of tapers and radiuses where there shouldn't be, and the parts had to be relieved to fit (and the bolt lugs had to be lapped extensively, as only 1/8 of their bearing surface was engaged). Almost there, though I still have to tweek my US-made disconnector so the hammer won't follow (mods to the hammer have been needed, as I think the FCG pivot holes where placed too high on the receiver, and now it doesn't get pressed down quite far enough to snag the disco, so the hooks need to be filed back about .01")

TCB

dakota.potts

Barn, if you get some time and inspiration, is there a chance you could start a thread elucidating some of that build? I'd hate to take away more from the M76 thread, but I'm a gunsmithing student and also working on a build kit (currently a CETME) and I'd love to read more about that build process as the 57 is a firearm you don't get to read about often

kcub

The 8x57 Mauser round doesn't take a back seat to ANY service cartridge, as a sniper round, either. The American factory stuff is wimpy, but the Euro stuff is where it needs to be.

I wish I'd learned of it sooner.

Does that include Prvi Partisan?

barnbwt

You tried the original M75 load? This stuff at least looks every bit as good as Swiss GP11 (comes in little cartons, too), though it is corrosive. Has seemed pretty good for me, so far, but I've not really bothered to shoot for groups, yet (plus, mine's a repro Green Mountain barrel that is likely serviceable but not impressive as far as accuracy)

TCB