Zastava CZ 99

scoobysnacker

Another "obscure gun" thread.

These pistols have been floating around on the market awhile, and I got one from Cole's Distributing for $195 + s/h. This was from the Ugly Gun Special selection, but honestly, the gun I received isn't any "uglier" than the pictures on the more expensive prices. The finish on my frame is worn pretty badly, but that appears to be the case across the board (I saw that AIM's stock photo showed a pistol in the exact same condition).

I was marginally interested for the novelty factor, and to expand my collection of full-size metal duty pistols. I wasn't expecting a lot.

What I did get has pleasantly surprised me, thus far. Granted, I haven't yet taken it to the range, and that will definitely play a huge factor in any gun purchase.

But thus far- This pistol seems very well-made and solid. Chrome barrel with sharp rifling present. Everything comes together and moves very precisely. This seems to be an excellently manufactured pistol, and coming from Zastava, there's no reason to think otherwise (they have been making fine weapons for a long time). My slide is blued, and although worn on edges, otherwise looks great. All numbered parts match. The grips are in fine shape. The trigger seems smooth in DA, and light and crips in SA, with a snap cap.

I know one of the big factors in gun purchases is parts availability, but this is one that surprises me; it's not like Zastava is some small fly-by-night outfit, or that they aren't still currently producing firearms (or the one in question). How is it that they've managed to not have a US partner, yet? Politics?
28iu7u8.jpg

Ernest T

Zastava is alive and well, and cranking out a large variety of firearms as we speak. I've got a CZ999 compact, which is essentially the same pistol you have with a different name. This handgun has also been called an EZ99, and other names, but they are all essentially the same with some minor variations.

Century Arms imported Zastava pistols for a while a couple of years ago, and they were sold through a variety of dealers including Aim Surplus, where I got mine, SOG, and others. Unfortunately, Century declined to stock parts for these guns, and I think that was one reason that they didn't sell well. Just about all the reviews are very favorable.

I had some issues with the first CZ999 I got, but Century Arms finally exchanged it for a new gun that has been flawless. It is a nice shooter, and one of the lightest recoiling handguns I have.

If you like the CZ99, I recommend you check out the Tristar line of handguns like the T100 and T120. Tristar is a Turkish maker of CZ75 clones, and they make some very nice quality handguns for good prices.

scoobysnacker

I've seen the TriStars and admired them, but I have real CZ's :D! If I didn't, I'd definitely have lined one or two up by now.

I'm amazed at what the Turks are doing right now, they are churning out some very nice steel pistols right at the $300 price point, which is making for some adjustments on my "surplus" considerations. I have a nicely blued 1911A1 made by Tisas that runs great. I've seen the CZ and Beretta clones, and haven't read a complaint on either yet (it seems the 9mm crowd is more accepting of the Turks, you get a lot of grumbling among the 1911 crowd).
Go to Tisas' website, and you see they are making a Hi Power too, marketed ... somewhere in the world. I already have my surplus FEG, but it would be interesting to see them release a new $300 Hi Power into the US market.

Re the Zastava, it reminds me of another surplus pistol in a way- the Daewoo DP-51. That, too, floundered around under the radar, often sitting unsold for less than $300. Then recently, Lionheart popped up selling them new with a cerakote finish and "tactical" grips that look like mud tires, and they go for around $700. And suddenly the used DP-51's vanished, and the few you see on gunbroker are selling north of $400 easily.
I wonder if someone is going to do that with the Zastava guns?

kozak6

We bombed their factory in 1999 and it took until 2005 to rebuild it.

Aluminum frames and conventional DA/SA triggers are badly out of fashion.

For them to even dent the market, they would need a super cheap plastic striker pistol with good ergonomics and an amazing trigger, and a partner with a massive advertising budget. They don't make that pistol yet, and who is left that doesn't already make a plastic fantastic?

Remington maybe? Remington did partner with them for sporting rifles.

It's probably good that's Tisas doesn't import their Hi-Power. I'd probably have to buy one or two or three :eek:.

Walt Sherrill

scoobbysnacker said:
Re the Zastava, it reminds me of another surplus pistol in a way- the Daewoo DP-51. That, too, floundered around under the radar, often sitting unsold for less than $300. Then recently, Lionheart popped up selling them new with a cerakote finish and "tactical" grips that look like mud tires, and they go for around $700. And suddenly the used DP-51's vanished, and the few you see on gunbroker are selling north of $400 easily.
I wonder if someone is going to do that with the Zastava guns?

I've had several of the DP-51s and a DH-40 (the .40 version), and they were great guns. I foolishly traded them away.

I now have a new Lionheart LH9, which is a slightly updated version of the DP-51 and like it a lot. They're being imported and there is customer support, and most parts are interchangeable with the DP-51. The trigger on my LH9 is a bit heaver than I like, and I've been trying different hammer springs (from other guns, with springs dimensionally similar) ... I'll get it figured out one of these days. The triggers in my DP-51s were much lighter.

It's a nice gun, and the trigger, while heavy, is clean and crisp.

scoobysnacker

Aluminum frames and conventional DA/SA triggers are badly out of fashion.

For them to even dent the market, they would need a super cheap plastic striker pistol with good ergonomics and an amazing trigger, and a partner with a massive advertising budget. They don't make that pistol yet, and who is left that doesn't already make a plastic fantastic?
See, that's the thing: they don't "need" anything. This is not Ruger, having to compete for the civilian market, this is a firearm that is currently already being produced under military contract.
Zastava, like Daewoo, Radom etc, makes a lot of military weapons for their home country, and is not reliant on our civilian market.

Like the Daewoo pistol, it will not go out of production as long as there is that military contract. The only thing the US market offers is this- a chance to sell more of them, at an increased profit margin. If they sell zero, then they are right where they are now, chugging along with all of their military products.

If they dress them up a little, put a solid price on it, and they sell even at modest rates, they have additional profits. And we have additional options as gun-loving buyers.

dyl

EZ9

EEA (or was it EAA?) - the folks who import the Witness - was importing/selling the EZ9 a few years back. I purchased one to use to introduce someone to firearms because it had all the standard features of the wonder-nines as well as a visible hammer to help visualize what's going on. A previous version of it was called the TZ-99.

I didn't know much about SIGs but it is close in controls/design. Of course tolerances/fit/finish/etc are rougher but it shot just fine. Not a single hiccup for me. I liked the big sights and very crisp single action. Grip was a bit wider than some but comfortable.

I sold it eventually as unavailability of replacement parts were a fear. Now after learning a bit more about firearms I do think I could find substitute springs from SIG or fashion my own decocker springs out of piano wire if i had to. Maybe even file down an extractor from bar stock. Heat treating would be another story - haven't followed the rabbit that far down the hole yet. But I hear 1084 carbon steel quenches in olive oil pretty well :)

I think it served its purpose, that newcomer to firearms bought 6 more guns in 3 months or so. The EZ9 was all but forgotten (with Glock and Sig and rifles in the picture) and was given back to me. Sold it. Probably would have been just as happy keeping and shooting it but I thought I "needed" the money to put towards trying the polymer pistols myself.

scoobysnacker

So, updating (I also have a thread on this over at "the other gun board", my username is different):

a couple thoughts and observations.

First- someone apparently thought as I did, at least in spirit; I am now finding info on the Arex Rex Zero 1 S (long, weird name for a gun). Seems to be well-thought out and apparently well marketed (at least better than just a surplus import). The initial reviews are comparing it to the Sig, as that's the most common pistol it resembles.
But I can see the Arex has a lot of Zastava DNA. Basically, it looks like a very well-finished CZ99, with a safety, and no ambidextrous decocker/slide stop, and a rail.

Watching the manufacturing video, the barrel looks identical. From what I can tell, it uses the same magazine too (I'm sorely tempted to buy a mag and attempt to prove that). The gun is from Slovenia, a former part of Yugoslavia.
Basically, the Arex looks like the pinnacle of the Zastava design, well worth the $599 price tag.

Back to my CZ99- I was able to cut a front hole in a Beretta mag, and it appears to function. I haven't shot it yet, but it cycles well by hand.

drobs

That CZ99 would make a good truck gun.

I was trying to recall what the newer ones were called & dyl nailed it. EZ9, there are a couple on gunbroker nicely priced under $400.

scoobysnacker

Range update: the pistol shoots very well, sights are on and very easy to pick up. It's a big blocky gun, but that helped absorb recoil nicely. Groups pretty decently for offhand shooting, not a target pistol but definitely goes where you aim it. I put S&B surplus (the white box ammo we see popping up, 124 gr NATO spec), 115 gr PPU, and some 124 gr Yavex ammo through it. Feeds well, no problems with the original mag.
The Beretta mag I modified fed great, slipped out once (I think I have to square up the notch I cut more). Perfect for range usage, if I cup the underside just a tad to ensure it doesn't pop free.

Trigger felt about like my S&W 915, rolls almost like a revolver. Didn't have a scale to measure it, but not bad at all.
Trigger reset had a noticeable click, definitely some creep, but very light. I'd say this is a great service pistol, fun to shoot.