Zastava 7.62 Mags Okay?

Swifty Morgan

This question is related to pistols in a way, but it makes more sense to ask in a rifle subforum.

I got a Zastava M92 pistol. It comes with one OEM plastic magazine.

Are these magazines trustworthy? Anyone heard of problems?

This will be a vehicle gun, so it needs to be reliable.

JJ45

Recently bought a new Zastava M70 ZPAP 7.62X39

The 30 round mag that shipped with the rifle is all steel and has a mag hold open device. It is GTG. The only other all steel AK mags I have are Bulgarians which fit and function 100%, and the Zastava, is just as solid and reliable.

I have one Zastava polymer mag (also with a BHO device) that I had to whittle a little to get it to insert which is not unusual for AKs and AK mags. But it is now the best fitting mag and feeds flawlessly.

Swifty Morgan

I decided to load this thing, along with some P-Mags. The P-Mags loaded fine. The plastic OEM mag gave me problems. I would stick a cartridge in it and then try to add another one, and the second one would sort of turn sideways. Everything got jammed up. Happened twice.

I had never seen a magazine that resisted loading before.

I think I'll keep it for recreation.

JJ45

I will add this. Shortly after posting the above I received in the mail 3 Bulgarian polymer mags, which are steel reinforced, as well as a couple steel ones.

These from GunMag Warehouse. You can get them in black, brown or OD. They fit better than any steel mags. No wobble at all. They will undoubtedly loosen up some and of course the proof is in the shooting.

A little wobble in an AK is normal and acceptable as long as the mag feeds reliably.
"
About your assertion on a second round turning "sideways is puzzling. Can't see how this is possible unless I'm misunderstanding. Can you explain what you mean by sideways? By OEM, I assume you mean a factory Zastava mag?

highpower3006

I have to admit that the only polymer AK magazines I have are Bulgarian ((10)). They work perfectly in all my AK pattern rifles.

If you are in any way worried about what came in your M92, just get some standard European mags and you will be fine. FYI, in my M92 I almost exclusively run Hungarian tanker 20 round magazines. Not because they are better than thirty rounders, I just like they way they look. I used to run Russian Bakelite mags for the same reason, but they have become too valuable to throw around like I do with the steel mags.