Yugoslavian M24/47 8MM Mauser

Fox84

Are these decent rifles? What is a fair Price? How about ammo availability and price? I was considering adding one to the collection but need a shooter.

kilimanjaro

Most of the Yugo Mausers are shooters, they seem to run $250-$300 right now. They're good rifles, if you get a good bore and matching bolt. Ammo is 8mm Mauser, 7.92x57, the only good surplus out right now is the Yugo ammo, it's pretty good, but not reloadable. Prvi Partisan ammo is new, brass-cased, and reloadable, little under $1 a round. Reloading is the best way to go.

The Romanian surplus ammo from a few years ago was great stuff, but it's gone.

chiefr

The Yugo 24/47s and model 48s are a real bargain. Many I have seen have near mint bores with minor stock wear & match bolt. They are very well made and are real tack drivers.
Would not surprise me if the supply runs out in the next year and the price has no where to go but up. Samco & Aim may still have some.

tobnpr

Got my son one about a year ago. Make sure you're getting one of the "new" re-arsenaled ones that have not been re-issued since packed away in cosmo sixty some years ago. They're in great shape.

Our first trip to the range, and he was shooting 3"-4" groups off the bat at 100 yards- and we're long range guys that never shoot without scopes..

He set the rear sight at 600 and aimed at a tire on the berm at 565 yards.
Near center hit. I almost knocked over the spotting scope. I was impressed.

Fox84

I found one with the accesory kit including bayonet for $299 I think I will have to have one. I see ammo for around $14 to $15 for 20

tobnpr

I've never bought from Samco before, but they've got a pretty good selection, including bent bolts, even with the optional accessory kit comes out to less $$

https://www.samcoglobal.com/1-M24-47.html

I see they have barreled actions...I might see a nice mauser sporter in my future. When these were re-arsenaled, most got new M48 barrels...
I know the one I bought had never been issued/fired: the rear action screw was too long (bolt wouldn't cycle) and the safety didn't work (needed tweaking as mauser safeties often do).

The surplus ammo is about gone, but you can get Prvi for about $14/box from AIM (when they have it in stock).

Last edited:

chiefr

The Samco Yugos are a real bargain. I would pay the extra and get a select model. Recommend an accessory kit with bayonet & sling if they have not sold out. Do not expect an expeditious shipment. Their delivery times take 10 - 14 days, but worth the wait.

Slamfire

If you can examine before you buy do so. Local gunstore had these and I took a cleaning rod and got rifles with the best combination of bore condition and fit.

TX Hunter

I have one of the Bent Bolt 24 47s from Samco. Its a good Rifle. I use my own handloads in mine and its very accurate and dependable.

tahoe2

Yugos are good!

Yugos are usually great shooters; 1-24/47 and 1-M48A. I scoped & sporterized the 24 and she prints 1"-2" @ 100 and 3"-4" @ 200
with any given load I put in her (my handloads) and a 65+ year old barreled action.
She likes 180 grn Nosler Ballistic Tips the best and has claimed two deer so far.
The M48 is still in military dress and will shoot 3"-4" @ 100 from the bench with those horrible mil sights.

Fox84

I ordered one from Classic. If I could just find ammo. I saw some at a local gun show today, that's why I ordered the rifle. Guess I'll go back tomorrow before heading to the range.

Fox84

Bought some surplus 8mm Yugo $7 for 15rds and Romanian $12 for 20rds in stripper clips. I also bought some new commercial stuff. Just waiting for Classic Arms to ship.

Fox84

Gun arrived and is in excellent shape. Beautiful walnut wood, bore and all metal is very nice. The bolt and trigger assembly are pretty gummy but are soaking. I'am really pleased with weapon and Classics Arms.

madcratebuilder

The bolt and trigger assembly are pretty gummy but are soaking. I'am really pleased with weapon and Classics Arms.

A gummed up bolt can cause hang fires, particularly with the 50's Yugo ammo (hard primers). Clean and lube the guts of the bolt and you should be GTG. Worse case is replacing the firing pin spring with a high power one from Wolf.

Fox84

I cleaned the Mauser up pretty good. I took the bolt apart and cleaned all the cozmo out. The safety won't go into the safe position in the rifle. It will if I compress the cocking spring just a little while out of the rifle. Is there a easy fix? This will be a range gun only and I'am thinking of leaving well enough alone.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Just remember the 24/47, like the 48 is a shorter action than the standard German 98 Mauser, so some parts and things like scope mount bases might not interchange.

Fox, unless you are familiar with the way the Mauser safety works, I suggest having a gunsmith look at it. It might be an easy fix or trying to fix it could leave the rifle very dangerous.

Jim

madcratebuilder

Fox, unless you are familiar with the way the Mauser safety works, I suggest having a gunsmith look at it. It might be an easy fix or trying to fix it could leave the rifle very dangerous.

Great advise from Jim on the safety. The safety is not something you should work on unless you know how it works.