Yugo SKS short-stroking

stellarpod

OK folks. I've done several searches and haven't come up with anything conclusive, so here goes...

I bought one of the "rare" :rolleyes: Yugo SKS' that is in great condition. I cleaned it meticulously and took it to the range. Out of a box of 20 PMC 122gr. FMJ it short-stroked 17 of them, most of which resulted in a smokestacked jam. One round (about the 5th) stuck in the chamber, requiring a sharp rap with a mallet to the bolt handle to drive it out. Once out, the case looked flawless. I've stripped the thing several times, finding NOTHING out of the ordinary.

1) Gas valve is clean and appears to work properly

2) Gas vent is not plugged - absolutely clean

3) Piston and cylinder are clean and true - no visible run-out in the piston shaft

4) Gas cylinder is relatively tight, with virtually no fore/aft movement when installed

5) Secondary shaft and spring are clean and intact

6) Chamber is clean and I can hand-drop a new round in place with no fuss

7) Bolt cycles flawlessly by hand

I've heard other folks complain about similar situations on other boards, but I've yet to read anything conclusive. I've considered cutting a few coils of the secondary spring to lessen the amount of gas necessary to plunge the secondary shaft. But, if I accurately understand the mechanism, it is actually pressure in the case that pushes the bolt back - rearward movement of the secondary shaft only unlocks the bolt. Is this correct?

The gun was purchased locally, but came to the dealer from InterOrdinace. This one has me totally stumped. I suppose I could just take it back, but my curiousity demands that I try to fix it first. Do any of you have any ideas? Thanks in advance for your input.

Snowdog

Could the chamber be a bit on the rough side?
The chamber snagging an expended shell as you mentioned seems to point to the source of the problem.

It may be the soft brass case is being "fire-formed" to the inside of the rough chamber upon firing and becomes reluctant to let loose, robbing much of the energy needed to reliably cycle the action.

Perhaps fire some cheap lacquered steel-cased 7.62x39 from Wolf or perhaps even the slick nickel-plated SilverBear ammunition (steel cases are less likely to fireform) and see if the Yugo SKS has the same problem as with the softer brass-cased PMC ammunition.

If the problem clears up or lessens by a significant degree, you might have to polish your chamber.

This problem sounds similar to the problems the M16s were having in Vietnam, before the chambers were chromed.

Personally, I suspect a rough chamber.
Sorry to hear of your problem!
:(

stellarpod

btt

Wouldn't normally do this folks, but with the server going down my little post kinda got lost in the shuffle.

I would still value any ideas any of you might have on this issue.

Thanks!

Stellarpod

blackdragon

yugo sks cycle problems...

Does your gas cutoff switch have it's spring (mine did not), and it it in the right position? Note that the 'correct' position is NOT all the way to the right side...the sprint will keep in a few millimeters from the edge, and that makes a HUGE difference.

blackdragon

jsosko

short stroking sks

i bought one from outdoor america in OKC and had the same issues with it. Outdoor america was a big help, let me tell you! (sarcasm) i went through all of the above, and then i went and bought a new gas tube itself for it. a chinese one will work contrary to what most believe, you just have to file a little bit on the end where it gets locked in place. you can get one at Brigadoon Mil Surplus for around $20. DO NOT CHANGE OUT THE GAS PISTON! if you use the original piston it WILL work. if you have bought a gas system rebuild kit it WILL NOT. i measured the diameter of the piston and they are different. now mine fires like a champ. the yugo's shot corrosive ammo for years and obviously didn't clean them afterwards. one of my best purchases now that its fixed! :D

stellarpod

Jsosko:

I bought mine at Brigadoon's in Midwest City. Let me tell you, Mark (at Brigadoon's) is one fine fellow! First, he got my gun rockin' by replacing the gas tube. When I went back with second-thoughts about whether I wanted to keep the somewhat high priced Yugo with a Chinese gas tube he was very understanding and traded me for a virtually mint model.

My only pain was in having to clean the pounds of cosmo of a second rifle. :D

This gun is impeccable. And I can't say enough about the level of service Brigadoon's gave to me. As I told Mark the other day, "When the day comes for me to buy a Bushy or an AK (and it WILL come), I won't even THINK about going anywhere but Brigadoons".

It is rare indeed to find that kind of customer concern these days - especially in the C&R market.

jsosko

I AGREE WITH YOU ON THAT ONE! MARK IS THE MAN FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. I HAVE ONLY BOUGHT ONE GUN THAT DIDN'T PERFORM WELL FROM HIM AND HE MADE GOOD ON IT IMMEDIATLY. IT WAS CERTAINLY MY MISTAKE FOR STRAYING AWAY TO SAVE A FEW DOLLARS! I WILL BE PICKING UP MY CZ-75 FROM BRIGADOON ON MONDAY. I CANT WAIT TILL THAT FINE DAY COMES!

ANYONE IN THE OKLAHOMA CITY AREA NEEDS TO STOP IN AND SEE HIS SHOP. IT IS RIGHT OFF OF I-40 IN MIDWEST CITY. IF YOU LIKE SURPLUS YOU'LL LIKE HIS SHOP. (NEW FIREARMS AS WELL) IT IS A FAMILY RUN BUSINESS, SO BE PATIENT IF THERES A LINE. ALOT OF PEOPLE LIKE HIS SERVICE!